WalMart Canada

WalMart Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader

Shelley Broader

Pros
  • Meet new customers, 10% discount for associates(in 21 reviews)

• We get a yearly profit sharing Bonus(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours and not enough promotion of work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions(in 17 reviews)

nice culture

Prosstrong culture, fortune 1 company

Constoo big, slow decision making

Walmart Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and decent pay if you are external you can negotiate salary .

ConsFor a Company that is big on associate engagement. There is a huge disconnect from upper mgmt to the associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess talk more action get involved.

ok

Department Manager (Current Employee) Sault Ste. Marie, ON (Canada)

Prosmost people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing

Consdifferent rules for everybody,always short staffed, low pay

Advice to Senior Managementmore follow through on disipline

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

customer service associate

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prospeople are very friendly here. Everyone can have 3 breaks if work for 8 hours. It's a very good entry level job.

ConsSalary is not good. I hate some of the schedules like work at 7am or be off at 11 pm.

Management kisses butt.

CSM (Current Employee) Regina, SK (Canada)

ProsLiked the people I worked with
    Enjoyed the CBLS
    Loved being able to help people.

ConsManagement treats the staff like crap and they don't care about how you feel as long as they get their bonuses. They push the mastercard like crazy and it make it out to be the CSM's fault when the store isn't getting them. Frankly, if the cashier isn't asking and we've told them to ask, there's nothing more we can do. If they don't want to ask, they aren't going to ask. The management needs to try getting on tills and selling it and then maybe then they'll learn how difficult our jobs are.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your staff properly and maybe you'll keep people.

Don't change who you are

Management (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of room for advancement if you are prepared to make sacrifices

ConsYou have to drink the kool aid to move ahead. Corporate culture is in constant clash with excessive internal politics.

Corporate values are great on paper though not enforced properly

Advice to Senior ManagementBe yourself

Interesting workplace

ProsFast pace.always busy fair pay.good benefits.never a boring day since ive been there.employee discount was a nice bonus.

ConsNot much room for advancement.focused too much on women in workplace program hard for someone to get ahead who deserved it.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone needs to uphold good standards.

Changed in focus

Management Associate (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsChallenging work that will be rewarding but leaves little time for time outside your work
    You will have lots of opportunities to work in cross functional team that will result in lots of exposure

ConsDon't promoted from within like they did at one time and almost need a MBA to be considered for employment
    No work life balance and long work hour are the norm for most departments

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to start your career direct out of university for a couple of years
    Long term value is not something you will receive from this company

Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsGood programs to be recognized for a job well done. Programs to help you achieve your career goals. If you have aspirations, there are managers and mentors who want to see you succeed.

ConsRetail schedule involves many evenings and weekends but this is true no matter what retailer you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remain approachable to your associates. Make each one feel important and that their opinions are valued.

First job opportunity, no more no less

Connection Centre Associate (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros- as a part-timer, you more or less get the hours you want (assuming you've been around longer than a year or so)
    - co-workers display solidarity in order to make the working experience a little more pleasant
    - some neat discounts featured in a wealth of other companies (telecommunications, car rentals, hotels, etc...)
    -will hire pretty much anyone (good if you need a quick fix between jobs)

Cons- it's all about charisma: whoever sucks up the most to management gets it easiest
    - the salary is utter garbage
    - associates get transferred all the time (whether they like it or not) depending on which departments need the most help.
    - management can often be rude and display flagrant favoritism
    - customers can be a nightmare

Advice to Senior Management- Stop treating your hourly associates like peasants, they do all the work.
    - Know who deserve promotions and those who do not.
    - Learn to be more coherent between each other in order not to contradict another manager's orders

Worked for WalMart Canada? Contribute to the Community!