WalMart Canada

Updated 17 November 2014
2.7

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

Pros
  • 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance) (in 24 reviews)

• most people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The higher you get the less work life balance exists (in 15 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for students

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of the hours you can work.
    Develop your communication skills
    Profit Sharing
    Get to meet good people that actually work
    Learn from your mistakes
    Usually get the time off that is requested

Cons

Customers are always right
    Managers don't appreciate you
    Minimum wage
    They want to profit more so they don't want to schedule enough people to cover the sales floor making it hard to satisfy customers

Wish there was more trust given to the associates.

Fun place to work

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Pay is decent, benefits are good, good training, over all fun place to work!

Cons

Sometimes disorganized, can become repetitive depending on position, it's walmart!

Management would not have jobs if it weren't for the little people (cashiers)

Pretty easy work but not easy enough for the poor pay.

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

The best reason to work here is the work is pretty easy, expectations from you aren't that high at least not at the Surrey location, and the managers are chills.

Cons

Floor is often understaffed, meaning everyone has to pull their weight plus 2. Not worth it for the minimal pay.

Increase your pay rate! Walmart is a rich company with lots of potential... But there is a reason it's known as one of the companies that treat it's employees poorly - it's true. Appreciate your employees and they will work that much harder resulting in mutual profitability for employer and employee alike.

Pays Your Bills

Current Employee - First Instock Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - First Instock Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours most of time. You can ask for more hours as they seem to be short of people most of time. You will get 10% discount so if you spend $200 in a month then you can save $20 in that month.

Cons

They will make you unload the truck, do zoning and help customers, treat you as donkeys, too much to do in too little time and if you so all that management is gonna unhappy still.
    Every now and then have to deal with unhappy customers
    Salary is bare minimum

Learn a bit but underappreciated and hard to move up.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

chill place to work
    great co workers

Cons

should get paid a higher salary for the variety of work and job duties
    managers don't follow companies core beliefs
    underappreciated
    taken for granted
    have to put up with occasional verbal and emotional abuse from customers

Take the time to personally thank an associate for good work and not take any for granted. Maybe consider increasing the wage and start showing the companies core beliefs if you're going to constantly remind them to us (respect to the individual ect etc) and stop caring about money more over than associates well-being. Also, make it easy for an associate to move up into management.

ok place to work

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in North Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people you work with as well as the customers

Cons

the pay is not great

To much work not enough pay, hours are rough

Former Employee - Second Shift Unloader in Niagara Falls, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Second Shift Unloader in Niagara Falls, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They hire anyone, and have many employees

Cons

Hours- will stick you on 3pm-11pm for 40 hours, while less skilled and lazy employees get the day shift, and cut hours every year at same times

Management in the store is fine, wal mart need to make changes higher up to optimize business solutions

Very friendly environment

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Very friendly staff
    -Training is provided
    -Gave me very flexible hours because of school
    -Very professional when dealing with problems in store
    -Benefits were decent

Cons

-Min wage, which paid for the school textbooks, but still needed to apply for grants
    -Gets tiring working cash especially during seasonal hours
    -Most workers a apathetic doing their job which isn't surprising considering the wages

Cashier

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a measly discount (10%) off everything in the store. You get a bonus check every year, that's nice.

Cons

The lines would get so long and so you can be on cash non-stop it can be quite hard for the body. You get questions asked about departments that you do not work in. You

Get to know your cashiers and present opportunities for company growth.

Not the company it used to be...

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance)
    - The workers at our store became like family.
    -Profit sharing once a year (I was part time and got up to $800 some year)
    -15% discount on Walmart stock
    -flexible hours (they are pretty understanding if you need to switch shifts)

Cons

-Walmart is NOT the company it used to be. I worked for Walmart Canada from 2000-2005, and then came back in 2012-2013..and the way they treat their employees has went downhill.

-we used to get 20% discount on stock- reduced to 15%
    -part time employees were given anywhere from 18-27 hrs / week. Now they keep you between 12-15 hrs (unless the store is short staffed, you take shifts in other departments or it is Christmas time)
    -There is no work life balance now ( even full time employees have to work a minimum of 1 night per week and between 1-2 weekends (full weekends) per month.
    -The store used to be well staffed. Now their company goal is to make the store as efficient as possible with very little staff. You will sometimes end up covering 2-3 departments. I was a sales associate and had to go on cash at the drop of a dime because they were so short staffed. Then the department managers would be upset that my work didn't get done in the department. I felt like I was being pulled in 10 different directions and you just couldn't make everyone happy.
    - Management in 2000 used to be pretty respectful and never pushed you or got upset when things weren't done. When I went back in 2012, I was constantly pushed further and further. For instance once they knew I could get out 1 skid of stock during my shift , they pushed me to get out 2. It was never good enough for them and you felt very under appreciated as an employee. I worked from 2012-2013 and not once did a manager say "good job". I know it shouldn't make a big deal, but it does as far as employee morale goes.
    -A lot of the managers there work very long hours and are under a lot of pressure (generally dissatisfied with their jobs) so it kind of trickles down throughout the whole organization.
    -I've witnessed probably 10 employees break down in tears while working at walmart, that should never happen (especially at a minimum wage job)

-Make your employees feel valuable. Instead of hiring 20 employees and giving them 12 hrs/ week, hire 10 and give them 24hrs/ week. In the long run it will save the company money because there will be less turn over.

-Get management that knows how to deal with people

- A complete restructuring of this company is needed, I don't think it will ever be the store it used to be. It used to be a positive environment to work in with great people. Now ever since they have cut hours and increased the work load, the employee morale has plummeted to an all time low. I really hope if someone is considering Walmart Canada as a full time job that they reconsider after reading this review. It is the same across all the stores, it is the way the head office has structured the company. It is not good for work-life balance, they now treat their employees as dispensable and very rarely will you see anyone stay for more than 3 years, unless they have no other option. Please do yourself a favour and apply someone else. There are good things about Walmart, however the cons definitely outweigh the pros.

- If you would have asked me to rate the company in 2000 I would have gave it 5 stars, but now it has changed to 2 stars.

- I was given the opportunity to get full time hours after 5 YEARS, but they refused to pay me benefits and that is when I realized that this company does not value it's employees. The sad part is in every yearly performance review I got top scores and I really loved my job before. But when they didn't have a reason for not giving me the benefits, I saw that there is no room for advancement. Actually most stores have put a freeze on hiring any new full time associates, as per head office.

WalMart Canada Photos