Walgreens

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson

Greg Wasson

(1,499 ratings)

2,808 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Profit Sharing, multiple options for health insurance, relatively decent pay"
    in 189 reviews
  • "Good pay is no substitute for a non-hostile work environment"
    in 113 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to be one of the last big companies that actually had work/life balance"
    in 66 reviews
  • "Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management"
    in 116 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful company to work for until they stab you in the back.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walgreens

ProsThe atmosphere is really friendly, and the customers are wonderful. There is always a ton of stuff to work on, no matter what department you're in. The days go by really quickly.

ConsThey schedule people based on store sales. If your store happens to have a slow week, hours a cut way back that results in tasks not getting done and customer service starts lacking.
When Obamacare changed our insurance at the end of last year the cost nearly doubled. I was willing to work solely to pay for the insurance, but two weeks before Christmas three full time employees were fired for the blanet term "integrity issues". We had all been with the company for years. We had all recently been employees of the month, and I was on my way to being promoted to shift lead. We all felt betrayed, stabbed in the back. Walgreens treats their full timers terribly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease support your employees. We are "the face of Walgreens", we are the people that the customers come on to see every day. I know that it is easy for you to blame corporate for all of the things that happen to hourly employees, but try to have a backbone. My manger was a community leader, but he certainly didn't behave like one. He never lifted a finger in the store, he was always out at "business lunches", was hardly ever even in our store.
What are you paying salaried workers so much for?

I would love to stay. The Team I am apart of is Great...Community, District, Region.

MGT (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros95% of the time I look forward to going in. Everyday offers new opportunities to help people and learn something new. The other 5% is the general negatives you have with any retail job..."just don't feel like dealing with the 'customers' today.

ConsThe new job model Walgreens has adopted since joining with Duane Reade has streamlined the 'Frontline' Service for the Customer to the 'Threadbare' minimum. Restrictions in Payroll have not only stressed the 'Opportunities' for growth the the maximum, but are also effecting Team morale and potential customer growth. My store is in a prime location to get many RX customers from CVS because of their loss of several 'contracts' and yet our Pharmacy is still short staffed and the Retail Store Management side spends 1/2 their time helping them, so now the Retail side is far behind on maximizing it's opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a 'Low-One' on the Totem Pole, and I represent a Team of dedicated team-members who are on the Front Line. Our Corporate 'Tree Toppers' need too look back to the basics and nurture the roots from which they spring, lest they wither and die. The challenges of the economy, inflation, and of work/ home life balance are being felt most at the 'Foundation' of what you are depending on for your success. I really love my position in My Store, which is part of My Community, which is part of My District, which is part of My Region....and unfortunitally I might have to look elsewhere for employment, because after 12 + years with Walgreens I might have to 'step-down' to a position that I can not afford to be in, let alone am to well experienced and qualified to accept.

A tumultuous love-hate relationship...love the profession, hate the corpocracy.

Staff Pharmacist (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedules if partner is reasonable, the ability to help people by educating them on their meds, dealing with the regular customers that make the job worthwhile. Exposure to various patient demographics and needs and expansion of clinical services in the retail setting (ie. MTM, immunizations, patient-focused counseling). Very competitive compensation package.

ConsStressful work environment, no official lunch breaks, skeleton crews that are unable to cover call-outs or vacations, overbearing corporate culture that diminishes the profession in many ways. Burnout period has been accelerated for retail, especially after deep budget cuts and redesigning the business model with more focus on centralization: Remote data-entry, verification, TPR resolution, and medication courier service to stores creates less tech need in the stores, but places more responsibility for mundane tasks (ie. cashiering, calling insurances) on the pharmacists.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication from corporate to stores and setup a feedback mechanism where observations at the pharmacy level can affect positive change quickly. There needs to be accountability for bad decision making on the corporate side. The salary caps of store employees and constant redefining of positions at lower wages is truly distasteful in the face of record raises and bonuses for upper-management.

Great Company

Call Center (Former Employee)
Deerfield, IL (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEmployee Engagement was excellent and well managed.

ConsNothing to report, no complaints.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee)
Midland, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

ProsHave worked on register one, Photo Dept, and Cosmetic Dept and also stocked and did facing.

Consdon't have any cons with this company

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the experiene that you are looking for to work at Walgreen's and am still on the active list.

Stable Job but not challenging with less space to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walgreens full-time

ProsStable, good work life balance

ConsNo new technology, Management has no idea what they are spending for and no measure of return of investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep stronger leash on what you spent on and invest after implementing ways to measure success of each project.

profit is king

Pharmacist (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Prospay and profit sharing where great. You will retire with a lot of money if the stress doesn't kill you first

Consit sucks the life out of you to get the pay and profit sharing

Better than CVS and Rite Aid

I have been working at Walgreens

ProsThey are more focused on patient health care, and push MTM much more

ConsStill a business so sometimes the financial side of corporate takes precedent to providing proper patient care

Advice to Senior ManagementMore technician hours so we can actually accomplish the goals you want us to without having to constantly stress over not being able to complete our tasks on time.

No upward mobility for management.

Shift Lead (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEntry Level position: Go for It! You will learn a lot.

ConsShift Lead is paid too little to deal with the verbal abuse from customers and the theft issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your Shift Leads so they will stay and play. The game is constantly changing and with room for advancement slim, the Shift Lead needs motivating reasons to stay.

Stable company with room to grow if you can play the game well.

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIn general, the benefits have evolved from industry leading to merely "competitive;" however they are still decent for retail. The pay is good and probably better than most retailers. Many opportunities to expand skills and move up if desired. A diverse workforce with some of the most talented people in the industry.

ConsExtremely fast paced work environment and very much numbers driven, so the company has abandoned focusing on the very people that make key contributions each day, which results in the company being successful. Not an optimal environment if you are the analytical, methodical, and like to take your time type worker. Very little work/life balance if you are in management. For a "healthcare" company, the medical benefits are expensive and not at all finically friendly for lower paid employees. Once a family oriented company; it has shifted to a completely corporate mentality. Politics now often trumps principle, but that is Corporate America today.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe fast paced, numbers driven, engaged workforce drive adopted over the past few years has overshadowed the sheer enjoyment of going to work and excelling at one's profession. The company says an engaged workforce is a productive one,; however I would submit that a happy workforce is much more productive.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walgreens reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Walgreens CEO Greg Wasson. All 2,808 reviews are posted anonymously by Walgreens employees.