Walgreens Reviews

3,451 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,844 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

walgreens

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, good co-workers, they hire friendly people, great place for social people.

Cons

low pay, sporadic schedule. work happiness depends on who your management is,

decrease the importance of suggustive selling and make it a more employee first company

Employee satisfaction has definitely gone downhill

Current Employee - Multiple Positions  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Multiple Positions in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some locations work around your schedule. There is opportunity to advance quickly. Training is easy.

Cons

Your happiness depends on the location you work at. Some managers are not professional at all. Some may be on a power trip. Walgreens used to lead the industry (my opinion) in pay and benefits. These have all been cut back to line Wasson's pockets. Since there are no Walgreen's family members at the top now, employees have had perk after perk taken away causing unhappiness in the ranks and high turnover in new hires. If you were hired over 4 years ago, you have top pay. New hires get the bare minimum. So, a new store manager could in essence make less than his assistant manager, until all those hired at that time get phased out.

I know the restructuring of positions and pay was meant to weed out employees who were getting raise after raise with no aspirations to advance. But, some employees didn't advance due to market saturation of "talent" or people who know what they are doing. Also, people who were waiting until their kids were old enough or they finished school. Now, there is nothing left for them here. You are soon to lose the best employees you will ever have. Now, going through the ratings, I want to add that I feel our culture and values went out the door with the last powerful Walgreen.

Depends where you're at

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Pharmacy Tech training program amazing.

Cons

Is dependent on what kind of staff to train hands on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retail Store and Pharmacy Experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, profit-sharing, time-off policies.

Cons

Employees not adequately compensated. Employees continually asked to do more with less and exceed customer expectations which is basically an no -win situation corporate has set.

I was surprised to see how much the Pharmacist Managers are pressured to sell discount cards, flavorings, etc.

Current Employee - Pharmacist Intern  in  Winter Park, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist Intern in Winter Park, FL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee stock programs, ability to buy household products at an employee discount

Cons

Pressure to sell add-ons mentioned above, drive-thru, practically no lunch hour for pharmacist.

The more they're paid, the less they know

Former Employee - Internal Help Desk
    Former Employee - Internal Help Desk

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a large company, which means that there should be room for you to be promoted.

Cons

Only hire female bosses, no actual promotions happen

Pay should based on performance for your mid & upper-level staff, because they slack majorly.

Service Clerk

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great opportunity to learn the basic's in a safe, friendly environment. From cashier, stock, theft prevention, and clean up.

Cons

Sometimes it can get busy very quickly, and get the typical moody customers.

Scheduling

PHOTO SPECIALIST

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

The best reason to work here is...
    when available you have the opportunity to learn about other departments as well as your current job title.

Cons

The challenges would definitely be the rate of pay as well as the amount of raise that is given, the cost of living is constantly increasing and our rate of pay is not at all being accommodated it really make you question the company that you constantly hear great things about...as an employee... your thinking
    "what about us" ?

Advice to upper management would simply be
    "Take Care of Your Own"
    "Keep your employees Happy!!!!
    Take the time to see if we're "Being Well"

Had High Expectations

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Guthrie, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Guthrie, OK (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

I work in a low volume store, so it's easy to get tasks done. Benefits start sooner than most other companies, which is great. Good benefits. Employee discount. Customers are friendly and usually make my days brighter. Co-workers are, for the most part, wonderful and helpful.

Cons

Management is not friendly or very approachable. Pay is horrible.

Pay people a livable wage. Consider your employees feelings and how hard most of them work before you treat them as poorly as you do.

Disagree with changes and expectations Corporate is making and with the means they are using to accomplish them.

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make great friends while working there! Good benefits and discounts.

Cons

Worked at Walgreens for almost 5 years. Seen many changes. I disagreed with current changes and expectations Corporate is making and with the means they are using to accomplish them.

- making me feel cynical, not valued, unrecognized, unappreciated, frustrated and demoralized; taking my enthusiasm and self-esteem
    - Feedback from store employees not considered or valued by Corp: no ongoing dialogue at corp level
    --More simplified and realistic expectations
    - Registers and other systems constantly crashed or are out dated.
    - Need more team members to keep up with customers. Most of the time, we had 1 cashier, 1 dept employee, 1 mgr, and 1 pharmacist. So I felt like I was running 5-6 departments on my own. Customers asked why cosmetics and photo dept don't have anyone there when they need help and why the manager is stuck in pharmacy for a hours at a time because they are understaffed.

Employees are quitting even those that have been with Walgreens for 10 or more years because they no longer believe in the direction the company is going. READ THE STORE BLOGS. Help employees not feel cynical, valued, unrecognized, unappreciated, and demoralized; and build more moral, enthusiasm and self-esteem by considering how the new changes are affecting employees. Consider and value feedback from store employees as much if not more than from customers.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!