Walmart

Updated 25 February 2015
2.9

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

115 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

IT IS A PAYCHECK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hanging out with friends and the laughs

Cons

The place is very unethical

Don't babysit employees.

Not all stores are like this

Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of any. Maybe being able to transfer?

Cons

Unorganized crazy managers, low pay, will NOT work with schedule and treats everyone like a useless robot or teen in highschool. Ur life doesn't matter, it's the needs of the store before u

Be more understanding, and considerate of people's lives.

I was able to learn a lot about what I was looking for in future employment as well as what I wanted to avoid.

Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor in Huntington Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with scheduling, pleasant work environment and atmosphere, no past experience or skills required, promotional opportunity.

Cons

minimal pay rates, few bonus incentives, shift favoritism, ineffective upper management, understaffing, lacked in motivational meetings and messages to staff to promote better morale

Ok company

Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Laid back enviroment and cool management

Cons

Crazy customers and not very good pay

Seasonal

Former Employee - Cashier in Long Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Long Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, character development. I had good hours and a couple great coworkers.

Cons

Training can be subjective depending on who was your supervisor. When I was laid off(seasonal) I was called in for overtime and worked until they let me go.

Wal-Mart

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An associate that is committed can be promoted.

Cons

Difficult to maintain a good work-life balance when part of management. Some managers are fair and others will not follow policy which makes it difficult at times.

Employees seeking to to move up

Former Contractor - Cashier in Anaheim, CA (US)
    Former Contractor - Cashier in Anaheim, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere can be great a lot of the time. Working with the customers gives you great satisfaction when your customers leave happy. Partial fellow co-workers are friendly and assist in your time of need. This job demands patience and kindness to your customers, therefore you will learn to have those two qualities if not already have them.

Cons

Many times employees will be ignored when trying to get assistance from managers. Even customers would get ignored when trying to address a problem to a manager or even if they need help finding a product. Managers and other employees will not make the customer feel as though they are important. Customer service is very poor by most who work there.

Management needs to be more structured. They need to come to the realization that they need their employees and customers therefore show more appreciation for for them. A customers happiness should be their number one priority not ignoring them.

Inefficiencies at its best!

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Palmdale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Palmdale, CA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wal-Mart is the global leader in continuous development of supply chain management, just-in-time replenishment, marketing, and creating Standard Operating Procedures (SAP's) to maximize efficiencies at all levels.

Cons

With all the cutting edge SAP's that Wal-Mart has put in place, at the retail level policies and procedures are poorly executed by management teams that are not in concert, inadequately trained, and harshly criticized by the store manager for not meeting goals and objectives beyond their control.

I admire creativity, innovation, and ambition. However when short-term goals are prioritized above its long-term ill effects, it fosters a culture of unmotivated and irresponsible associates.

Review Walmart

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oxnard, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oxnard, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Implementing the small format stores was a good idea since Walmart is the single largest retailer join the world.

Cons

They do not compensate and share the companies good fortunes with there employees. I find the turnover is a lot larger than most other companies by a long distance. Bottom line take care of your people!

Do not play favorites and give everyone who is entitled to a chance to get that, a chance at advancing and making Walmart a much better place. Too many times management lets personal emotions get inn the way of making a sound business decision. Make your workplace the very best it can be!

Part time Cashier

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Palmdale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Palmdale, CA (US)

I worked at Walmart

Pros

You meet exciting new people.

Cons

For part time hours they would give you anywhere from 32-36 weekly. If you needed to request a day off you had to hunt down the department manager to get them to sign off on it, even then they would lose the form and schedule you anyways. Management does not care for their employees, No communication, so every cashier had their own rules of doing stuff.

Take time to listen to your employees, have their back, give proper training for everybody to be on the same page!