Warnaco Group Reviews

Updated 4 October 2014
3.3

Warnaco Group President and CEO Helen McCluskey
Helen McCluskey

Great benefits, huge employee discount, friendly staff and executives.

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In general, it was a pretty laid-back atmosphere. Most people were friendly and most executives were approachable. Employees, for the most part, were treated like people. Occasional "thank yous" like ice cream parties would pop up.

Cons

There seemed to be a disconnect between different divisions and departments. This was especially evident in the IT world. Collaboration overall could be much stronger. Fairly high turnover, especially in the design areas, would put a strain on resources and morale.

Need to do more to keep talent, especially in the design areas as well as IT. This could be done by offering more competitive salaries and higher than insulting 2-4% annual raises.

Sales

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time

Pros

Typical corporate environment. Overall great place to work. Benefits and compensation were up to par with what was in the industry

Cons

Little room for career advancement. Overall travel was quite extensive.

Lot's to Look Forward To

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation. Great people in the ranks.Met some great people who have become good friends.

Cons

Executive management and their HR cronies! What a joke! The CEO thinks she’s a role model and has no clue about what the rank and file really think. We've watched her push great people out and fill exec ranks with her cronies and others of little substance and no vision. The product and quality got weaker and weaker as process and margin became king so she could sell out.. Day-to-day business was crashing but new business (countries) and off price masked the realities

You got the last laugh and walked away with the big money but hopefully people will know the truth and you won't be able to repeat this performance. iUnder new leadership we WILL clean this up.

Traditional Corporate environment...

Former Employee - Wovens Designer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Wovens Designer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Traditional corporate environment with good salaries, benefits & profit sharing.

Cons

Once you hit the glass ceiling - that's it. I was hard pressed to find challenges in my role after a few years & there was a lot of re-structuring in design department on an on-going bases.

If there are no way to promote a designer, they should be allowed to switch categories to allow for new skill development & freshness in the product line (ie...knits designer & bottoms designer switch positions).

Legal intern

I worked at Warnaco Group

Pros

The discounts were great. They generally were 50% off.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons.

Rewarding but short

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Field locations are given independent decision making authority to satisfy customers. Corporate support is good and encourages questions from the field.

Cons

CEO doesn't practice what she preaches, always looking out for number one while pretending to care for the little guy.

Provide feedback to the top when message is not resonating with the intended recipient. When in the field, interact with employees more to get candid feedback.

No winder it was bought out by PVH

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Warnaco Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great brands, lots of potential

Cons

Bad management and work atmosphere. All different brands were so isolated from each other and there was no team spirit. All workers including management talked about each other, it made it hard to build relationships and trust your colleagues. There was no monthly reviews or meetings at all with the head of different sectors, my senior said to me before "sure no one knows what they are doing, its about figuring it" when I asked for guidance on a project. There was also nowhere to move up in the company.

Learn to communicate better. Build a better atmosphere so workers like coming into work. Stop talking about employees when others are in earshot. Organise regular meetings and assessments.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Milford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Milford, CT (US)

I worked at Warnaco Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice work environment, good employee discounts and you will work with great people.

Cons

The position was in CT, 60 mile commute each way from NYC

Good potential , but short-termism messes things up

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oud-Gastel (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oud-Gastel (Netherlands)

I have been working at Warnaco Group full-time

Pros

The work conditions are good and the environment is informal, managers are in general flexible and understanding, and some are very qualified and care about employees. Corporate information flow from semior management to employees has improved.

Cons

Projects are often started but never finished, it is hard to find out who is accountable for what. The high level goals are more or less clear, but the path to get there is usually pretty vague and changing, which makes planning hard, as well as getting any commitment from stakeholders.

I have enjoyed my time at Warnaco and look forward to continued employment for years to come.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duncansville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duncansville, PA (US)

I have been working at Warnaco Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Local management strives to build into the local associates. They voice the local concerns to the corporate partners even when it seems to fall on deaf ears. Local associates are provided many small things such as luncheons and various award programs.

Cons

Local headcounts are so tight that it leaves no room growing outside of the current position. Although growth is encouraged verbally, time constraints leave little time for the activities that will lead to the growth.