Waste Management

Waste Management Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Waste Management President, CEO & Director David P. Steiner

David P. Steiner

Pros
  • great benefits and you can get all the hours you need allowed by dot(in 31 reviews)

• Fellow Employees, good benefits if you can afford the with the Lay-down days(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • The customer service supervisor sits in her office all day eating(in 16 reviews)

• Long hours management don't care for you just be at work av(in 16 reviews)

former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented people, Reasonably good compensation,
    Futuristic - Sustainability and green initiatives

ConsNo major cons. depending on the area you are working, it can get a little stressful sometimes.

control every system and save energy and waste

Computer Operator (Former Employee) Rājkot, Gujarat

Prosi like to work on it

Consvery high and continue mind use

Advice to Senior Managementuse every storage in work

Overall solid place to work.

ProsThe philosophy of employees being the number one asset.

ConsNot all senior management are on board with respect to employees and their value

Advice to Senior ManagementControlling cost is important but don't cripple employee work efforts

Waste Management Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Jul 23, 2014

We appreciate your hard work, dedication, and feedback. This is valuable to us as we strive to continuously improve our processes.
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Most money I ever made at any company!

Inside Commercial Representative (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ (US)

ProsPay is excellent, better than decent raises, ability to make money if you put the work into the job. Best boss I ever had, no micro-managementat all.

ConsUnrealalistic goals set by corporate, 1/2 hour lunch,benefits not being the absolute best, and terrible training are just about the only thing negative about the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the ICR position back to the local districts. Your customers will be more appreciative of the local presence.

Great company overall with some upper management exceptions in the healthcare division.

Plant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits and salaries. Stable job if you are in the right division

ConsLack of motivation of some upper management members

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's very important for you to address safety and maintenance issues at the plants...like ASAP!

Quick paced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly pay, good health insurance, vacation and holiday pay.

ConsToo many supervisors! Most of them not qualified. Too little advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know you are trying to meet your numbers to look good to upper management however try to create a heroic work environment that would want us to work hard for you.

Sad day when you love your job and learn your call center is closing

Inside Commercial Representative (Current Employee) Oak Harbor, WA (US)

ProsLove the call center reps - you work hard and put up with some tough customers. Your a great team of people and it's sad to learn we will never be a team again.

ConsWe were told this week our call center is closing. It shocked and hurt 125 employees in a very small town. We are so busy some of us are working OT everyday, until this week when the closing was released. Now that they've routed our calls to AZ, the phones stopped ringing. If we are going to stay open for another 3 months, how are we going to do our jobs when the phones stopped ringing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou shouldn't keep hiring and training when you knew the center was going to close. This wasn't an overnight decision. There are about 30 new hires over the past 90 days who now are out of work again.

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits are very good. The 401k is one of the best. The company matches up to 6% and you're fully vested from the start. The bad news is, you have to wait 90 days before you get any health benefits. That's a long time to go without coverage. Especially if you have small children.

ConsIf you like change - you'll love Waste Management. There is little to no support. You will be responsible for managing every aspect of your accounts. You'll need to be an expert in billing, operations, sales, administration and anything else your customers will want. It makes it almost impossible to take a vacation and not come back to a mountain of emails. Operations runs the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow it down. Change is good, but try to get something implemented and working well before moving on to the next change. This constant change is like drinking from a firehose constantly. Let your salespeople sell. They are spending over 80% of their time handling non-sales issues. If you want the employees' opinion stop demanding that they only be positive.

Good company with growth opportunities

Supervisor (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGood company that values their employees and provides opportunities for growth / promotions. Ongoing improvements with systems and technology is a big plus. Good benefits.

ConsConstant change. Although this is not necessarily a con, because the company is always changing to continue to improve, it is difficult to implement multiple changes coming from all areas of the company at the same time.

I LOVE my job!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Foxborough, MA (US)

ProsComfortable environment, encouraging attitudes from peers and management, positive reinforcement, appropriate coaching methods, understanding and compassionate supervisors, and recognition for hard work.

ConsShort training period (two weeks, with less than a day for billing) poor communication between certain departments (customer service to dispatch/ops), resentment toward certain departments (customer service to dispatch/ops).

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an issue with the communication between customer service and dispatch/ops. There is no emotion in email, so it's very easy to misinterpret tone and intention.

Waste Management Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Jul 01, 2014

We appreciate this feedback and are always looking for input to improve our culture and work environment. This valuable insight could be shared with your leadership during goal-setting and annual ... More

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!