Wave Broadband

Wave Broadband Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Steve Weed

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsThis company is growing, there are a lot of opportunities to grow with it.

ConsBecause the company is growing and buying other companies there are some problems coming up where the old guard of some of the purchased companies do not want to change and accept the new direction of the larger company

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more accountability or better integration of the purchased companies in to the greater Wave fold

Thanks for CHOOSING Wave...

Tech Support Representative (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsThe overall atmosphere in the call center is good, there are a lot of awesome people, even managers. There are opportunities for a change in position fairly often. You are permitted to work remote after you can meet your stats (usually about 6 months). Managers are patient and reasonable in expecting perfection. Because it is a smaller company there are quicker ways to support the customer with any info they are requesting that needs to be escalated to another department.

ConsThere is absolutely no commination between departments (field techs and call center tech support). Rarely are there any notes about what the tech has done, and if there are, they make no sense to anyone not trained in field tech work, and we have no decoding tool to see how the job was closed. Some of the techs will not wait for the customers to verify there services are working and we get to deal with the after math because most people don't have the balls to yell and abuse someone in person( like the field techs) as they do on the phone (me). But having worked at Comcast I am familiar with that.

Seems that the technology just isn't there to give the customers a comparative service that the competitors can. Our VOD selection is crap. You don't have the ability to set up recordings online, you don't get a free anti virus with your service. Also when it comes to bringing in new products, it seems like they are being sold and guaranteed before the infrastructure can handle it, thus creating a situation that the customer gets to upgrade and pay more for a weaker and unreliable service.

Customers must prove they are having issues with their service before anyone does anything to rectify it. There is no proactive work being done to find and solve issues. We in the call center, are like 1 step above being a customer. We are so completely left out of the loop we don't know anything until something has already been completed or started and gone horribly wrong causing a huge issue for our customers.

This is such a disheartening company to work for in the way that business is conducted. It makes me sad because this company could be great and if someone were to ask me if they should get Wave, I would tell them there money will go farther at Comcast (and I hate big huge corporations).

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with trust and respect. Show us your loyalty and we will show you ours by caring about this job, and the company and even more important, the customers.

Mostly good people; toxic environment in denial.

Director (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGood PTO policy for those who never get sick. Employees given a bank of PTO they may use for anything, sick or vacation. Challenging environment but in a good way. Awesome CEO; smart, personable, professional.

ConsCompensation not at fair market value. A few weak leaders have way too much decision making power, and make decisions based on personal biases or self interest before interest of the overall health of the company. Big 'cons' include weak training programming and no employee development programs or culture. No support or encouragement to further education... and a real big problem -flip a coin regarding if you'll ever get a performance review or annual raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO needs to understand better what is happening in his organization, and not to get that information and understanding from the people he trusts most. I recommend the CEO perform anonymous employee and past employee feedback interviews ONLY if he's willing to stay true to the process and set ground rules such as no retaliation and feedback is kept in strict confidence.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some departments supportive, others toxic.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsRegular morale-raising events, good benefits package, generally upbeat atmosphere.

ConsSome departments are transparent and supportive of their teams, others are oddly territorial and clique-oriented, makes for sometimes very tense and uncertain working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful to your employees- they know when change is coming and being duplicitous sows distrust.

Interesting work - smart and friendly people

Manager (Current Employee) Kirkland, WA (US)

ProsVery positive work environment in the corporate office (Kirkland). Staff is friendly and hard-working, management is open-minded and approachable. The benefits are good, parking is free and bus passes are subsidized. And there's a Starbucks in the complex!

ConsPay is probably a little lower than other places, but the work/life balance compensates for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to your employees

Company needs union representation - lawsuits coming for major safety violations and discrimination

Angry Cable Tech (Former Employee) Woodburn, OR (US)

ProsFree cable but not for long, will be paying shortly.
    Overtime beyond belief which is nice for paycheck.
    No policies and procedures which makes it nice so every week you don't have to worry about getting reprimanded because nobody knows what the policy really is in the first place.

ConsManagement from top down needs to look at other cable companies to see how they should perform and treat employees fairly.
    Supervisors should be in the field with their people seeing what is needed for safety and adequate time for jobs.
    Pay is way below industry averages.
    Warehouse workers make more than Maintenance and service Technicians
    No safety meetings. Should be mandatory once a month.
    Instant Installs. Leave customers waiting forever and ruins morale within the company.
    No quota for time needed for jobs. This inconveniences customers and leads to no family life for technicians and puts them at severe risks for injury due to overloaded work schedules.
    No tools provided to do your job correctly and efficiently. You can ask for tools and they will never get them for you.
    CEO wants his hands in every transaction which has made company dysfunctional. Can't get proper tools or materials necessary to perform daily functions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomebody needs to unionize this dysfunctional broadband provider. Safety and pay should be priority number one at a telecommunications company. Is basically a good ole boys outfit with an overabundance of upper-level managers being paid top dollar with no support from their CEO to make the place function correctly. If you don't listen to your employees they will never have respect for you and when over half of the workforce has nothing good to say about this company eventually it will fold. Investment group will learn of these matters soon enough. Change is coming.

Frustrated

ProsThere are some good people working for Wave.

ConsWell, mainly it has to do with the idea of doing more with less until you can do everything with nothing. Everything the company does can be traced back to either stupidity, cheapness, or pettiness. If you excel in these three areas then you are management material. As many technicians say here, "Safety third!".

1) Technicians never know when they will off work
    2) Skilled technicians (from Comcast) have to shoulder the difficult work for the "bros"
    3) "Bros" are Guamanians that are off by 4pm or alternately schedule their work into your clip (i.e. new connects)
    4) There is no training program, but if you are skilled you are also responsible for other outlying systems
    5) Metrics to measure your job performance encourage lying and cheating and are not actively reviewed (or understood) by management.
    6) "We just do what we're told"
    7) Buy your own tools with your own money and pay your own parking tickets and traffics tickets that are held on to by the company so that there is an additional late fee. (To be fair Wave will pay some parking tickets)
    8) You will not get a job performance review. You may bring it up several times and ask what you must do to get a reasonable raise, but in the end you will not get one.
    9) Wave might falsify documents to aid in getting you fired.
    10) I promise you that you will have days where you are hanging off the the telephone pole at night and yell "f^%" from the top of your lungs.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement as it is, is doing a great job. They are really sticking it to the little guy.

Unorganized Cable Company should be bought out

Maintenance (Former Employee) Woodburn, OR (US)

ProsWell you surely will never see a supervisor which makes it nice. The benefits are standard cable benefits like any other cable company.The people are okay that work there.

ConsThe management from top down leaves a lot to be desired. Drunk supervisors are not needed in this company. There are some people who have never had a performance review with the company even after multiple years of working there. This has not changed. Horrific inventory system. You could never get supplies that you needed for basic everyday field work. Customer's having buried lines could take years as well as damaged cable. They will tell you repeatedly that pretty much everything is NOT in the budget which includes customers and pay raises. Always some excuse.
    Instant installs every day makes no sense. Sometimes you will have twenty jobs in a single day and then get instant installs on top of that so you never knew when you'd be finished for the day.
    No dispatch system. They don't monitor your routes nor do the supervisors so if somebody gets injured nobody would know where you were at.
    Pay is way below average. You will never get a review. One of the worst cable companies I have ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with an incentive program to make employees want to work for this company. Instant Installs are not it. When you have a yearly meeting with the employees leave the management team out of the room so people can say what is really going on without fear of retaliation.

I worked seven days a week and many late hours a day.

Sweeper/Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) Woodburn, OR (US)

ProsThey have great people that work there.

Consf you as an employee don't have a territory, you have a very hard time making bi monthly quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved in a positive way with your employees!

They will take advantage of your skills and promise compensation and deliver nothing.

Installer/Warehouse/Systems Tech/Anything Else They Needed (Former Employee) Depoe Bay, OR (US)

ProsThey teach you many ways of apologizing for their inability to provide proper service.

ConsYou give them all you can. Me for example having 10 years experience in the industry doing everything from installs, to underground construction, to sweeps, and managing. I got hired on as a tech 2 with a pay of $15.15hr. . Because that was the only position they had available at the time. I was promised a review after 3 months that would have my pay adjusted to what i'm worth. Well 1 year later and a long list of broken promises I was forced to quit. They even had the gull to appeal my unemployment. I would not trust these people at all. They take advantage of you. Act like they care about you while leading you on, and on...

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the people that work the hardest and compensate them appropriately. Make sure your managers are actually working out in the field. Fire them if they come into the office reeking of alcohol.

Worked for Wave Broadband? Contribute to the Community!