Weber Shandwick

Updated 16 December 2014
3.9

Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Collaborative office; phenomenal resources; good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunities to work with great clients (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance can be a little crazy at times, but you'll experience that at an agency (in 19 reviews)

• The work/life balance tends to shift to the work side of the scale, so be prepared for long hours (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Takes a position of vendor with clients and thus they stop respecting you and your work as professionals.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office culture was good and fun though there is a lot of cold wars among managers. The agency has good clients worldwide. They allowed sabbaticals if you wanted to travel and explore the world. But you'd have to give atleast a 2 month notice. Quite flexible in work life balance.

Cons

The managers take a position of vendors than consultants and doesn't set the expectation of clients. The brunt of it will be borne by the the lower position employees who will have to stalk journalists to get a story that isn't even news worthy.
    No ethics or integrity when it comes to client delivery.

Excellent

Current Employee - Guest Relation Officer in Delhi
    Current Employee - Guest Relation Officer in Delhi

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly Environment, professional Staff and lots to learn for everyone

Cons

conveyance a bit of a problem for those no having own.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be in PR- Weber Shandwick is an amazing global company to work for. Creative colleagues, ability to work on innovative projects for Fortune 500 companies as well as start ups. Hard work pays off.

Cons

Expect to put in your hours and more. Work / life balance is somewhat dependent on your supervisor and projects you work on.

If you want to work in PR, Weber is the best of the best

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For a huge agency, Weber Shandwick offers personalized attention from middle management, insanely fun team bonding events and the opportunity to grow in the direction you want. My boss saw that I had an interest in financial services, and made an effort to move me to those accounts. Despite what comes with a big agency (bureaucracy, etc.), the corporate culture is energizing and fresh. People are smart and cool. In fact, some of my best friends I met at work. The fish in the lobby are adorable and we made up names for them (Big Poppa is the fat one who eats the others' food. If you come, you'll see him). I got the opportunity to manage the interns this summer, which was great experience in a supervisory role. The company also offers tons of training via lunch and learns and "classes" you can take on topics ranging from time management to communication styles.

Cons

Working on the same clients for the entirety of your job can get a little tiresome -- I get bored of clients after about a year and a half. Luckily, my managers were really supportive of my curiosity and desire to try new things. Sometimes it can feel like you're working on the same projects again and again, so it's up to you to volunteer for out-of-the-box assignments. If you do, management is really supportive, but the onus is on you.

Best "large" agency but not necessarily better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

--Incredibly smart people; lots of staff resources
    --Fun office; people genuinely like each other
    --Collaborative
    --Solid roster of clients
    --Decent side benefits (partial gym and cell phone reimbursement)

Cons

--As others have said, there's most definitely a sense of favoritism and office politics; whether you are recognized or given new opportunities will depend on who you're buddies with at the office
    --Low salary for the market and not negotiable
    --IT resources (old equipment, takes forever to get upgraded)
    --Virtually nonexistent training (formal training is maybe once every 4-6 months but it's not prioritized)
    --Very top heavy...waaaaay more VPs than AEs or SAEs -- that just doesn't seem sustainable

Hire junior staff. Offer more training. Pay attention to what's happening at the junior and mid-level.

Learned Tons

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned so much in my short time here. They really do work you hare as an intern - which in a long run is a great thing. The next firm I went on to could see the great experience I gained from Weber Shandwick.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the place is a bit of factory - like everyone is just a cog in the wheel. I guess that goes along with the corporate culture though.

Make everyone feel equally important, and that they are actually adding a unique benefit to the firm.

It's Got What You Need (And MUCH More)

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, there's so little that I can complain about. We are a big company and have a massively cooperative and collaborative network across the board. I don't feel like just another cog in the wheel and I'm really junior on the team. We get regular communications from our leadership and recognition for what we do as a team/offices. Benefits are nice and make you feel like you're appreciated and that there is a good mix of downtown/happy hours/just for fun sessions to relax. Also, when I need to go to a doc's appt or leave earlier to attend a personal/professional event, my supervisors have been very flexible with my own schedule.

Cons

Since you're working with passionate and type A people, we are really focused on the details which can sometimes hinder the overall movement forward. There's also a culture of working late (even if you might not have much to do) and the more junior the harder. Sometimes I'm not too sure what are vision and goal is and how we are stacking up against that even though we win all of these awards.

Have a communications about our goals, visions, and steps to get there. Where did we measure up to these goals in comparison to last year.

Chart Your Own Course

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast moving environment, client focus, very nice people. Leadership shows a strong commitment to continue to change and evolve. If you have ideas and speak up for yourself then this is the type of culture that will let you chart your own course.

Cons

Could improve knowledge sharing (cross practice / cross office) and new hire onboarding. Given the rapid pace of change at the moment both are important to stay ahead.

Communicate more.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time

Pros

Very smart and talented employees as well as great and well-known clients! Weber has very high standards that allow us to attract "the best of the best". There are vast opportunities to get cross-trained or mentored.

Cons

Employees need to be more vocal about opportunities or programs within the company that they may be interested in.

Consumer Intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick as an intern

Pros

Smart, hardworking and fun office environment. People genuinely care about the clients they work for.

Cons

Managers of separate accounts don't communicate with each other, sometimes leaving the interns confused and spread thin

Communicate