Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros:
  • "Very interested in maintaining a good work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great place to work for someone looking to move up the career ladder"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company doesn't support work-life balance idea - you must be prepared for overtime working"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Work

Deputy Manager (Current Employee)
Pune

I have been working at Whirlpool

ProsEmpowerment and Freedom to create our tomorrow. Fast track career growth, early differentiated roles and open and inclusive culture.

ConsHigh tolerance for low performance

its a good place but could be made much better by making it more people friendly.

Deputy Manager (Former Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at Whirlpool

ProsThere were lots to learn in terms of inter departments, one will get chance to interact with people from different departments and vendors. As I was in design team, so interactions was on quite higher side, we used to meet senior level team members from other teams and lots of idea's sharing and validation and impletation used to happen. One is open to speak about creative & innovative ideas.

ConsThere were no proper feedback session. Senior team member used to be bit bossy and insecure, what if junior team member starts working good and getting more recognition.
in terms of accepting Ideas and implementing they are quite slow. By the time they understand market and realize need, competitiors go much ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be timely feedback session. A proper growth plan for employee should be made specially if he/ she taking care of two different roles and want to grow in one certain area. Giving chance or say, trusting the junior level team member so that he too can feel motivated and show his true potential.

Good Company for a Large Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Whirlpool

ProsChange, stability, competitive, brands, opportunity

ConsSlow making decisions, good ole boy system

interesting work

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Proslots of free training. good pay and benefits , friendly people.

Conslong hours, travel to factories from design center. large workload. people shift positions every year so it's hard to build up expertise. Headquarters town is highly racially divided. Life is good for corporate folks but not so much for other people.

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people to get better quality work. Reduce playing of musical chairs with job positions for people. Otherwise, keep up the emphasis on lean, OpEx and other initiatives.

Good company Values, especially for such a large organization

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

ProsStability, long term job potential. Leadership is trying to unite entire organization, As a whole they are trying to be a leader in everything they do.

ConsMany Corporate projects have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Although it is being worked on- there are still a lot of separate "companies" under the Whirlpool Umbrella with limited communication

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that projects that are for one division (i.e. Finance) is communicated with others (Service and Sales) so that Whirlpool can give the feeling of a united front to customers, investors, and competitors

Whirlpool - Corporate Headquarters

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work-life balance at Whirlpool is great and the pay is good. Leaders are flexible regarding family needs, illness, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to move within the company, both within your job function and into other business areas. The work is interesting and I enjoy working for a company that produces the vast majority of product they sell in the U.S., in the U.S.

ConsCorporate headquarters is in a small town, if your spouse also works there is not much opportunity here for them. During my interview process, Whirlpool touted that they have many employees whose spouses also work at Whirlpool, talked about how they help spouses, and stated there would be great opportunities for my spouse. Once I was here, they have done nothing to help my spouse get a job. My spouse is even willing to change careers or take a step down, to get a foot in the door and contribute income to the family. My spouse never even makes it past the "rejected by outsourced recruiting company based on resume without even a call" stage. Make sure you both have a job offer before you move here. I will probably end up moving eventually so that my spouse can contribute income to the family, too. I wish I didn't have to, because I really love my job and the opportunities for me are great. But, we need two incomes long term. I understand each hiring manager wants the perfect fit, and I was naive in believing the puffing from HR during the interview process. Also, annual raises are less than the increase in the cost of living. Housing and food costs in the area are high. Company is very concerned about local community relations and supporting local businesses, so they don't put fitness centers or child care centers onsite as amenities for employees (although they have a "culture of health").

Senior manager

I have been working at Whirlpool

ProsGreat new facilities and flexible working environment. Summer with the lake are great.

ConsNeed work life balance improvements. Would like to see them promote from within verse going outside so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on driving new business and product leadership so we can be ready for the next downturn.

Good place to work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work and family balance.
Manufacturing locations management is good

ConsCorporate bosses (they are not not leaders) say one thing and do other.
Corporate management not so good

Advice to Senior ManagementHire or promote real leaders that have proven leadership and not just friends from previous jobs

Uncaring no support of medical issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat business for area, offers job opportunities in distressed area. Career opportunities and advancement in education is a benefit for employees.

ConsNo support to employees with medical problems, development of health issue means bye bye job...whirlpool don't deal with that

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring, supportive of great employees that love to work , not fire them because of health issue time off.

Overall, Whirlpool is a good place to work.

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get the chance to work on great, meaningful projects with a team of pretty great people. St. Joseph/Benton Harbor is a wonderful place to raise a family and the weather is great (in the summer!)

ConsWish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement some really robust HR policies that support employees who want to work in a more flexible way. Right now it has to be done "under the table" and there seems to be no support for the top.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!

Whirlpool Videos

Whirlpool – Why Work for Us?

We’re the largest global home appliance manufacturer in the world, but we’re still just a small town company in our hearts. We create products that make millions of people’s lives easier every day, and we’re committed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whirlpool reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Whirlpool CEO Jeff M. Fettig. All 348 reviews are posted anonymously by Whirlpool employees.