Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies(in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies(in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements(in 10 reviews)

Learning culture

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Joseph, MI (US)

ProsGood working environment and you can find people that really lives the company values. Company care about people.

ConsStarting to allow more employee movements among different groups inside organization.. however the process is still slow and burocratic, that sometime makes it easier go to a different company rather than staying inside. Still possible to find cases where leadership dont practive 'walk to talk'.

Strong corporate values and culture continuing to move in the right direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

Pros- Rebounding Industry, competitive compensation, good work/life balance, training opportunities

Cons- Locations (corporate and mfg.), HR practices, slow moving

engineering internship

Prosbig company , global, good payment , 401k plan, nice supervisor

Consa little boring because the city is pretty small.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of sheep, not many wolves

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsDecent pay. New Facilities. Good Brands.

ConsToo process oriented. Benefits - insurance is not good.

Where good ideas go to die, but you can make a killing at killing them.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Amana, IA (US)

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for advancement and internal development. Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance. Iowa is a lovely state and this is a great area to raise a family.

ConsA typical, political, corporate ladder climbers environment. If you are good at spin and getting other people to do what you need you can go far fast. Very task oriented work vs process oriented. Continuous improvement on the manufacturing floor gets little more than lip service and is measured in "heads" reduced. Culture is stuck in the 80's. Innovation is feared and risk is not tolerated. Poor strategy deployment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of opportunity left on the table by treating manufacturing facilities as contract manufacturers for the marketing organization instead of a partner.

challenging environment and culture

Category Manager (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsNew product launches and emerging market

Consspeed and agility to launch

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak silo's, be agile and faster to launch product and to out perform the competition and provide quality that meets customer expectations without any complaints

The grass is always greener on the other side

Marketing Director (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsStill a solid global player driving good business results through scale and muscle. The recent changes in working culture have helped create a better environment despite a cut-throat management culture. Good values and still a decent culture.

ConsMoving too slow to keep up with competition - hard to believe the strategy will hold in the long run. If you are not in the inner circle no chance to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange from a "who knows you" to a "real results-based, values oriented" talent management system. Share the wealth with employees.

A good place to work

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsThey did a good job respecting work-life balance, The location of the tech center was a short walk to Lake Michigan

ConsI had a long drive because I chose not to relocated to Benton Harbor. The working environment depends on the manager. The first manager I had was great. The second drove me out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of who you choose for middle managers. They make or break (in my case) the workforce.

Good Company for a Large Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsChange, stability, competitive, brands, opportunity

ConsSlow making decisions, good ole boy system

Fearful of Truth

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Pros100 year old company with many brands.

ConsThey do not want to hear the truth. They are quick to react toward those speaking their mind and being truthful, and it is not a positive outcome for the individual. Anyone with knowledge and skills are the first ones they look at when they are financially challenged, which is about every three years. Additionally, they love to recruit and hire right out of college. These individuals are made to believe that they will be sitting in a nice office in short time. They do not let these young people learn and grow; they just promote them to silence them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote your new recruits so quickly. Do not put individuals in managerial positions when they do not have the necessary skills.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!