Whirlpool Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
3.4

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 28 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

q.a.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

good hr practices - on paper

Cons

Only extra late stay is improtant , not fair environment

We are not aggressive in our stategies , no work life balance for employees , things are prdictable

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Empowerment and Freedom to create our tomorrow. Fast track career growth, early differentiated roles and open and inclusive culture.

Cons

High tolerance for low performance

its a good place but could be made much better by making it more people friendly.

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Gurgaon, Haryana

I worked at Whirlpool

Pros

There were lots to learn in terms of inter departments, one will get chance to interact with people from different departments and vendors. As I was in design team, so interactions was on quite higher side, we used to meet senior level team members from other teams and lots of idea's sharing and validation and impletation used to happen. One is open to speak about creative & innovative ideas.

Cons

There were no proper feedback session. Senior team member used to be bit bossy and insecure, what if junior team member starts working good and getting more recognition.
    in terms of accepting Ideas and implementing they are quite slow. By the time they understand market and realize need, competitiors go much ahead.

There should be timely feedback session. A proper growth plan for employee should be made specially if he/ she taking care of two different roles and want to grow in one certain area. Giving chance or say, trusting the junior level team member so that he too can feel motivated and show his true potential.

Continuous learning environment... still challenged and engaged after 23 years!

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool corporate values are long standing... part of my training in 1991... and still alive and constant. In the customer experience center we have a great culture.. sharing challenges and successes every day. Adapting to our consumers makes this a learning environment.

Cons

Challenges mainly driven from external factors.... that drive urgency for continuous cost reduction.. This is good for lean thinkers.... however sometimes employees are not informed of the reasons behind initiatives that are cost driven. I have learned to take it for granted we will always be challenged in this way.

Advise for management... People are always smarter than you think. Never underestimate the knowledge of people that serve the customers.

Good experience

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Amana, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Amana, IA (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good for starting with no engineering experience. Very friendly people and co-workers. Nice office.

Cons

Too much rotation happening in company along with departmental changes making it difficult to have a single person work on a project from beginning to end. The commute is 1.5hrs everyday from Iowa City or Cedar Rapids to Amana, which gets worse during the winter time.

Vacation time very low, appreciation of work should be done.

Good Experience

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

good experience as intern, good people

Cons

none to speak of as of now

Whirlpool is an excellent company to work

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They give you all the necessary tools to work adn give your best
    They give you the opportunity to grow up inside the company

Cons

Innovation and engineering area is not too close to the production line, it takes time and energy to translate from one place to other whenever you need to get a solution to a problem from there.

there are mettings imparted monthly where the lead talks about how we are going, what are the things we make right and how to improve

Open communication with managers and open to change but lack of financial support.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Greenville, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Greenville, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement but must be self motivated and proactive.

Cons

Must be willing to relocate often to advance quicker. Key roles change every 3 or so years, sometimes not so good.

Commit to long term success over short term objective achievements.

Great People

I worked at Whirlpool as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had an amazing time working with the people. Very friendly and laid back. Great experience that has really opened some doors for me.

Cons

Stress of my job sometimes got to me. Position was located in a small town so local attractions/things to do, were low.

Spend more time bringing lower employees into your office and checking up on them. Give them advice not only about their job, but about their career goals.

A great company

Former Employee - Account Manager in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Paris (France)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Internal promotions, great people to work with, great values

Cons

very little room for negotiation