Whirlpool Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
3.5

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 27 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people, Great brands. Poor treatment of employees.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Whirlpool is the caretaker of some of America's greatest brands in appliances. They make so e excellent products.

Cons

The quarter end pushes for volume are endless and almost harassing. Whirlpool also treats older employees like trash, something to be discarded. I have seen time and again high quality people around me disposed of. The latest guy had 13 years of excellent t reviews. 5 weeks ago he was put on a performance plan and now he's gone. No severance nothing.

The EEOC will get you guys some day.

This is not easy money.

Current Employee - Assembler  in  Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Current Employee - Assembler in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool part-time for less than a year

Pros

The starting pay for someone with no experience in anythins is pretty good.

Cons

It gets really hot in the summer and you have very short breaks.

I would have liked if they had more company activities.

Lots of opportunity; lots of work; tons of politics

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are pockets of amazing people in Whirlpool. Amazing people who encourage, inspire and do great work that is connected to a higher order purpose. There are some really outstanding leaders here.

Cons

There are pockets of highly political, self serving, egocentric and demoralizing leaders that are unfortunately very highly placed within the company. These leaders say the right words, but their behavior doesn't match the company's values.

Flush the politics and ego trips from the highest levels of the organization. Enable, empower and trust your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Following the path of the auto industry in the 80's.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

I cannot really think of any except good for people who have no global visions, but stuck in their own Midwestern backwardness.

Cons

The culture is full of cronies and those yes men and women!

Straight talk starts from the top.

Fun minus a few bad apples

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people in engineering and the plants. Worked with many talented and friendly technical folks. Teamwork existed, but not anymore.

Cons

Slowly turning into a show -off contest where egos and networking control and true value added work comes second. If you want a technical career, do not apply. Engineering isn't valued and eventually all the fun engineering will be done in India

Stop managing and start looking for a real job. Don't promote only your friends,

Trying to catch up with Sumsung and LG.

Current Employee - Master Black Belt  in  Saint Joseph, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Master Black Belt in Saint Joseph, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture is under slow change looking forward to satisfy customer with new demands. Almost nothing to worry after 8 hours. Product safety is a great concepts ahead of others, but also a disadvantage to hold up the speed of projects to deliver. A good learning environment for students from school as too much training programs would be provided. Personal growth is strongly limited after 5+ workings.

Cons

Still under thinking of how to move up with previous Maytag leftover mfg and tech centers. Engineering knowledge is limited due to many reasons, like management inability to handle resource, bureaucratic culture accumulated so much in its headquarter, loosen control for organizations, unclear definition of advance development and product development, political groups in tech centers based on countries, etc,.

Open eyes to Sumsung and LG, learn how to speed up a project development and product delivery with balance of resource and incentives. Fire people who are unable to finish the mission and who can't adapt to culture change for a fast moving company.

Mediocre

Former Employee - Production Worker  in  Greenville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Greenville, OH (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were pretty friendly, and after a few months they wanted to hire me ( I was a temp at the time)

Cons

It's a dangerous environment. I got into an accident there a rack fell on my head and they sent me to get a tetanus shot and told me to come back the very same day. They didn't care. I gave them 2 weeks notice.

I think my advice to management would be to care for your employees better

Good people, good products, horrible leadership

Former Employee - Corporate Finance  in  Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is easy to feel good about the products you are making. Everything you could want in terms of a diversified business career opportunity as a finance professional.
    Middle management has some really promising people...assuming they last.

Cons

Toxic work environment which is fed by utter lack of leadership from CEO and other senior leaders. Jeff Fettig has no idea what real leadership is, so he has decided to make his mark in "cost leadership". This translates to slashed benefits, hiring freezes and failure to fill vacant positions even as stock price soars. The company grinds employees into the ground and expects they won't complain because there are so few opportunities in SW Michigan. Some senior business leaders are unprofessional and borderline unethical in their treatment of employees, but FOJs (friends of Jeff) are exempt from scrutiny. I could go on but why bother.

Learn the difference between leadership and management. Don't take advantage of employees' loyalty

The Good, The Bad, and the Plain Ugly

Former Employee - Numerous
    Former Employee - Numerous

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work. People are generally friendly and ready to help as needed. I had some very good mentors at Whirlpool and was able to move throughout different departments.

Cons

One supervisor was found guilty of sexual harassment by the EEOC and Whirlpool made a settlement with the victim, yet kept the supervisor on in the same capacity. Also, it seemed like the bigger jerk you were the higher up in the company you moved. The worst was that with its employee appraisal system since it had a percentage of employees who had to be at the bottom, the people (such as me) who resigned to take a position elsewhere got the worst performance reviews at his/her exit. This was proven by going through HR files at the branch I worked at and again, nothing was done.

Get some real supervisors who are hands-on and helpful. Revise your employee appraisal system because even though I won a national award from the company, when I resigned I was given a "needs to improve" final appraisal. You talk values but you don't walk values - it's all about the share holder and the bottom line!

I was an Assembly line worker moving around in various areas to learn assembly there, and worked there for two months..

Current Employee - Rotating Assembly Line Worker  in  Marion, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Rotating Assembly Line Worker in Marion, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for less than a year

Pros

This was a job that was available through the Marion County Ohio Department of human Resources (public hiring) and they were interested in hiring all kinds of people they said because they had a large number of people priory fired who were part of a large abusive gang. About the only requirement for this job was to be physically fit and teachable.

Cons

Someone was playing games and I could not get paid every week like I was supposed to. Going to Human Resources did no good. They kept shorting employees of money owed overall. Then, there was an accident within the facility and a woman removed on a gurney. The, someone meddled with me car and accused black smoke to come out of the tailpipe. I do not like industrial workers anyhow and the job became to high risk and too mean.

No comment.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!