Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

No right way to do a wrong thing

Sales Director (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat company rich with top talent. Whirlpool has every opportunity to excel and grow and even dominate the industry. It is flush with top talent and those willing to put forth the right efforts to drive the company towards their every goal. You'll find the greatest talent still within the company, while it continues to farm out through attrition the rest of their talent to their competitors and ancillary industries.

ConsBureaucracy is weighing down all the potential. The company feels rotten within itself with cronyism and nepotism awarding positions to people unproven and people who have never stayed within position long enough to actually have delivered against an objective, and yet they thrive with their naive opinions. Too slow to act

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up to the talent loss, clarify the steps and assessment for individual growth. In this industry, you'll need people willing to take risk and management not so eager to hand out punishment.

Good Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Joseph, MI (US)

ProsVery laid back and friendly. Lots of changes to be more lean and to eliminate the old-school mentality with respect to work hours, work attire, years vs. company instead of performance-based promotions, etc. Very short commute unless you decide to make it longer. In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies. Very diverse workforce and lots of international opportunities, if you are interested in that. Many career path opportunities.

ConsCan be VERY slow to promote its people, especially in the tech center for fabric care (laundry) engineers. Smaller town == no other major employers in the area. Bonus is not guaranteed to be a specific amount; it fluctuates based on company performance == on bad years, salaries are not competitive. Housing prices are higher than normal in the area due to tourism.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want top talent to remain, then get rid of the forced ranking system. If you only hire top talent, none of those people want to hear that they are just "ok" or "average". If they are above average, they should be told so, not forced into a bucket so your numbers work out.

I was empolyed there for 1 year in sales, the company was very innovative and provided its employees withj all the tools

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosglobal company, upper mgmt interacted with people, sales conferences were a way to learn about people product and services, laid back work environment, innovative company, room for growth if you are willing to relocate

ConsThe sales plans were skewed, hard to make sales goals

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Whirlpool good place to work

Analyst (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat potential, good incentive and perks

ConsSelf motivation is key, it is about who you know not how well you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive, managing people is not all about task delegation

A great place to work

ProsThere is a great deal of opportunity and challenge available throughout the company, wonderful people to work with, and products to be proud of.

ConsLiving in a small town is not ideal for everyone, though I enjoy it thoroughly.

contract designer

Mechanical Designer - PTC Creo Parametric 2 0 & Windchill 10 0 (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsI perceived the Whirlpool management as the best of thirty companies in my career.
    Very well defined company standards. Well managed part naming conventions.
    Well defined engineering roles: engineers; designers; drafters

Consmigrating software packages (Going Google; WMCS -> SAP) = short-term pain
    modelers should model and manage upper level assemblies, not spin wheels learning EN writing processes and company specs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote a long-term opportunity 6-18 months and then not renew the extendable contract for (3 of 3) contractors after four months. Economy shifts, horizons only allow to forecast work load just so far...

Great company to work!!!

Lead Engineer (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsWell established processes, great people to work with, takes good care of employees.

ConsNone so far, except is is too cold in Michigan

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the good work you are doing!

Mandatory employee turnover from upper management is puzzling.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFree stand mixers and immersion blenders.

ConsFirings are many and often. If you do not have a family you are fair game for sacrifice to save the lives of others' children. Pay is much lower than anything auto or aero in the area. Product integrity is extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out and stop thinking you are the greatest company in the world.

Good Company, small town

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat company, treats employees well, good advancement options

ConsVacation town of St. Joseph is nice in summer months, but the lack of city amenities gets old after a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep unleashing talent.

Pay is great if you can stand the politics

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cleveland, TN (US)

ProsThey pay you enough to consider ignoring your morel compass when it comes losing your sense of team work and exploiting your individuality

ConsEveryone is out to make themselves look better, even at the expense of others. This is a result of the promoted culture through the Personal Metrics of Performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone thinks, acts and feels the same way. If you really want to preach diversity and inclusion, you should understand this is not strictly race and sexual preference.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!