Whirlpool Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
3.5

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 28 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company that tries to do things the right way.

Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Category Manager in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Lots of smart, motivated employees
    - Company-wide policies and initiatives that promote positive work environment and culture

Cons

- some areas (like procurement) are not up to speed with the rest of the org, slows things down
    - too much focus on moving people around too quickly. Let them accomplish something first!

Everyday working there was fun and challenging

Former Employee - Administrative in Marion, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative in Marion, OH (US)

I worked at Whirlpool part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great successful company which continues to grow. Worked in Personnel, shipping, benefits and receptionist and loved every minute.

Cons

I do not have any Cons for Whirlpool, they treated me great.

The changes in the past years have afforded "families having time to be a family" great benefits, and personal growth in promotions

Import Specialist

Current Employee - Import Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Import Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company really cares about it employees and strive to keep everyone happy.

Cons

A lot of issues always seem to pop up at random times. A person can easily get lost doing all the dirty work that needs to be done.

Great people, Great brands. Poor treatment of employees.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Whirlpool is the caretaker of some of America's greatest brands in appliances. They make so e excellent products.

Cons

The quarter end pushes for volume are endless and almost harassing. Whirlpool also treats older employees like trash, something to be discarded. I have seen time and again high quality people around me disposed of. The latest guy had 13 years of excellent t reviews. 5 weeks ago he was put on a performance plan and now he's gone. No severance nothing.

The EEOC will get you guys some day.

Lots of opportunity; lots of work; tons of politics

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of amazing people in Whirlpool. Amazing people who encourage, inspire and do great work that is connected to a higher order purpose. There are some really outstanding leaders here.

Cons

There are pockets of highly political, self serving, egocentric and demoralizing leaders that are unfortunately very highly placed within the company. These leaders say the right words, but their behavior doesn't match the company's values.

Flush the politics and ego trips from the highest levels of the organization. Enable, empower and trust your employees.

Fun minus a few bad apples

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people in engineering and the plants. Worked with many talented and friendly technical folks. Teamwork existed, but not anymore.

Cons

Slowly turning into a show -off contest where egos and networking control and true value added work comes second. If you want a technical career, do not apply. Engineering isn't valued and eventually all the fun engineering will be done in India

Stop managing and start looking for a real job. Don't promote only your friends,

Trying to catch up with Sumsung and LG.

Current Employee - Master Black Belt in Saint Joseph, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Master Black Belt in Saint Joseph, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture is under slow change looking forward to satisfy customer with new demands. Almost nothing to worry after 8 hours. Product safety is a great concepts ahead of others, but also a disadvantage to hold up the speed of projects to deliver. A good learning environment for students from school as too much training programs would be provided. Personal growth is strongly limited after 5+ workings.

Cons

Still under thinking of how to move up with previous Maytag leftover mfg and tech centers. Engineering knowledge is limited due to many reasons, like management inability to handle resource, bureaucratic culture accumulated so much in its headquarter, loosen control for organizations, unclear definition of advance development and product development, political groups in tech centers based on countries, etc,.

Open eyes to Sumsung and LG, learn how to speed up a project development and product delivery with balance of resource and incentives. Fire people who are unable to finish the mission and who can't adapt to culture change for a fast moving company.

Following the path of the auto industry in the 80's.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

I cannot really think of any except good for people who have no global visions, but stuck in their own Midwestern backwardness.

Cons

The culture is full of cronies and those yes men and women!

Straight talk starts from the top.

Mediocre

Former Employee - Production Worker in Greenville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Greenville, OH (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were pretty friendly, and after a few months they wanted to hire me ( I was a temp at the time)

Cons

It's a dangerous environment. I got into an accident there a rack fell on my head and they sent me to get a tetanus shot and told me to come back the very same day. They didn't care. I gave them 2 weeks notice.

I think my advice to management would be to care for your employees better

The Good, The Bad, and the Plain Ugly

Former Employee - Numerous
    Former Employee - Numerous

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work. People are generally friendly and ready to help as needed. I had some very good mentors at Whirlpool and was able to move throughout different departments.

Cons

One supervisor was found guilty of sexual harassment by the EEOC and Whirlpool made a settlement with the victim, yet kept the supervisor on in the same capacity. Also, it seemed like the bigger jerk you were the higher up in the company you moved. The worst was that with its employee appraisal system since it had a percentage of employees who had to be at the bottom, the people (such as me) who resigned to take a position elsewhere got the worst performance reviews at his/her exit. This was proven by going through HR files at the branch I worked at and again, nothing was done.

Get some real supervisors who are hands-on and helpful. Revise your employee appraisal system because even though I won a national award from the company, when I resigned I was given a "needs to improve" final appraisal. You talk values but you don't walk values - it's all about the share holder and the bottom line!