Whirlpool Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
3.5

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 28 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

The Good, The Bad, and the Plain Ugly

Former Employee - Numerous
    Former Employee - Numerous

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work. People are generally friendly and ready to help as needed. I had some very good mentors at Whirlpool and was able to move throughout different departments.

Cons

One supervisor was found guilty of sexual harassment by the EEOC and Whirlpool made a settlement with the victim, yet kept the supervisor on in the same capacity. Also, it seemed like the bigger jerk you were the higher up in the company you moved. The worst was that with its employee appraisal system since it had a percentage of employees who had to be at the bottom, the people (such as me) who resigned to take a position elsewhere got the worst performance reviews at his/her exit. This was proven by going through HR files at the branch I worked at and again, nothing was done.

Get some real supervisors who are hands-on and helpful. Revise your employee appraisal system because even though I won a national award from the company, when I resigned I was given a "needs to improve" final appraisal. You talk values but you don't walk values - it's all about the share holder and the bottom line!

I was an Assembly line worker moving around in various areas to learn assembly there, and worked there for two months..

Current Employee - Rotating Assembly Line Worker in Marion, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Rotating Assembly Line Worker in Marion, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was a job that was available through the Marion County Ohio Department of human Resources (public hiring) and they were interested in hiring all kinds of people they said because they had a large number of people priory fired who were part of a large abusive gang. About the only requirement for this job was to be physically fit and teachable.

Cons

Someone was playing games and I could not get paid every week like I was supposed to. Going to Human Resources did no good. They kept shorting employees of money owed overall. Then, there was an accident within the facility and a woman removed on a gurney. The, someone meddled with me car and accused black smoke to come out of the tailpipe. I do not like industrial workers anyhow and the job became to high risk and too mean.

No comment.

Experience depends on who you meet

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool can be great and can offer someone who is being tracked a wonderful opportunity. In fact, the chosen ones get so many wonderful opportunities it is not possible to handle them all. Fortunately for the chosen ones Whirlpool furnishes many minions.

Cons

They rate on a curve and you cannot get more than your share of high ratings regardless of performance. Their talent pool rating system is a force fit and for many employees this is not done at all or it is done as a check box at hiring. This is important as it either slams shut or opens doors for promotion or lateral moves. Job descriptions and responsibilities vary wildly as to whether they exist, are followed or are ironclad. Whatever you are hired to do could be entirely fictional from actual job duties. They are shedding over-50s and locals in order to provide a hip "campus" and younger culture. They are not worried about appliance experience and have populated senior mgmt. with car, CPG and other industries.

Import Specialist

Current Employee - Import Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Import Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company really cares about it employees and strive to keep everyone happy.

Cons

A lot of issues always seem to pop up at random times. A person can easily get lost doing all the dirty work that needs to be done.

Amazing Company Culture

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Whirlpool has an amazing culture. I have never felt like I couldn't continue to grow at the company!

Cons

Personally, I don't see any negative's associated with Whirlpool. Great place!

Great industry leader

Former Employee - Engineering Director in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vision and strategy - clear in North America and Latin America. Not so clear in Europe and Asia.
    Consumer focus - reason why it is still the industry leader.
    Innovation - able to keep revenues.

Cons

Bureaucratic culture.
    Leadership power structure.
    Importance to titles and status.
    Poor alignment globally.

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family oriented company based in midwest

Cons

Procurement advancement opportunities are limited.

Great co-workers but upper level management needs to change

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time

Pros

People, salary, bonus, work life balance

Cons

Upper management is too hands on

Treats People Poorly

I worked at Whirlpool full-time

Pros

Good Benefits. Some brands are terrific. Some excellent people there as well.

Cons

If you are in the "crony circle" or in HR, you can trade favors easily...Certain folks in HR give each other special privileges, stocks, promotion etc...
    All their talk about "Straight talk", Values...is ONLY lip service. Corporate culture sucks. They worry more about who to please than they worry about the business itself. Get on the wrong side, offer criticism your career is finished there. They will label you and stack you for getting out of the door.
    YOU DON't have a career there if you are not a part of the inner white boys club. They really treat older people, women and other races poorly.

Fire your VP's( the ones that have been there over 10 years), they are trying to save their the jobs by holding back good people. They practice implicit discrimination and have become very good at suck UP.

Great company culture.

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, changing culture with new collaborative, open office concepts.

Cons

Like all companies there are some poor people leaders that essentially can change the dynamics of an entire organization.