Whirlpool

Updated 29 January 2015
3.6

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 30 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Position was located in a small town so local attractions/things to do, were low (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Does not value it's employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clyde, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clyde, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

The only pro I see at this company is that they pay according to the cost of living.

Cons

Newly hired even temporary employees are promoted immediately for no reason except that they become good friends with management and with the way they dress.

Don't be so quick to fire and promote. Speak to everyone before doing so. Not only to a line leader who likes that becomes friends with that person, or that they are married or dating another Advisor. Really find out the way a person really performs their jobs. This company absolutely DOES NOT value it's employees. They are only concerned about the bonus money they receive.

What are you worth

Former Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Lab Technician in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people were the best ones I've ever come in contact with.

Cons

Whirlpool spends more time working on diversity instead of making great appliances. They focus more on promoting Homosexual's and other ethnic classes and encourage more of that.

The focus of Whirlpool should be one that is making a great product instead of worrying about the different diversity in the workplace. It was really annoying and if anyone spoke up against it they were not treated very well after that.

Whirlpool Response

Dec 04, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your response and providing insight on your experience. I feel compelled to offer some additional insight regarding the comments. Whirlpool is very deliberately focused on our ... More

OK Company, Questionable Leadership

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training and personal growth opportunities. Lots of diverse jobs.

Cons

Big company, very small town. Lots of politics and promotion of leadership not based on results or performance but who you know.

Base your leadership and promotions on actual business results driven and performance. Sometimes people move jobs so fast (less than a year) how can anyone be held accountable.

Good Place to start your career

I worked at Whirlpool

Pros

Learnings, Global exposure and good people to work with

Cons

Slow rate of growth and travel opportunities

Overall good place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Diverse coworkers and good team work

Cons

Immpredictable long hours, too much rework at times. Lack of some established process and training

Better training and career development for entry level employees.

Corporate Controls and Electronics Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Saint Joseph, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and i highly recommend it. The people are down to earth and easy to work with. There is a general agreement of respect of the employee and that is something that is rare in today's industry. I felt that as a senior engineering in electronic R&D center, my opinion was valued and management respected my thoughts and opinion.

Cons

It's not a really a con but it's the truth about the appliance industry, cost is the main driver for all your work as a design engineer or any other segment of the company.

Good place to work, need to be energetic

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

the people are great, a lot of opportunities

Cons

very fast paced organization, accountability does not always fall in the right place

A great place to work

Current Employee - Category Manager in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Whirlpool's values penetrate everything we do so you can feel that spirit in daily interactions. The culture is one where employees have respect for one another and create an atmosphere of inclusion.

Cons

Whirlpool can move slow at times. With a very large, matrixed organization, it can be hard to drive to get to decisions quickly.

Focus on growth. Organic growth. Appliances are a great business but we need to find ways to create incremental revenue streams.

Continuous learning environment... still challenged and engaged after 23 years!

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool corporate values are long standing... part of my training in 1991... and still alive and constant. In the customer experience center we have a great culture.. sharing challenges and successes every day. Adapting to our consumers makes this a learning environment.

Cons

Challenges mainly driven from external factors.... that drive urgency for continuous cost reduction.. This is good for lean thinkers.... however sometimes employees are not informed of the reasons behind initiatives that are cost driven. I have learned to take it for granted we will always be challenged in this way.

Advise for management... People are always smarter than you think. Never underestimate the knowledge of people that serve the customers.

Good experience

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Amana, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Amana, IA (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for starting with no engineering experience. Very friendly people and co-workers. Nice office.

Cons

Too much rotation happening in company along with departmental changes making it difficult to have a single person work on a project from beginning to end. The commute is 1.5hrs everyday from Iowa City or Cedar Rapids to Amana, which gets worse during the winter time.

Vacation time very low, appreciation of work should be done.