Whitbread Reviews

50 reviews filtered by
3.3
Whitbread Chief Executive Officer Andy Harrison
Andy Harrison

Pros
  • Secure, happy and friendly working environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible Management, area manager doesn't pay attention to anyone and its everyone for themselves (in 3 reviews)

• If you work in Head Office it's a great job, (in 3 reviews)

1. Server of great memories

Current Employee - Chef in Gloucester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef in Gloucester, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Popular thriving business, great career development opportunities for people of all abilities in all departments across the brand. Recognized as one of the top 25 big companies to work for. Staff are very well looked after and management are kind, friendly and understanding of everyone employees needs.

Cons

Can be stressful at times when the company is profit driven and pushing big targets. Staff shortages in a demanding business environment can be detriment to the business at busy times.

Advice to Management

Keep a consistent level of staffing wherever possible as this is the biggest down fall!

2. A good business

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard, and get the results, you get rewarded - fantastic Management Bonus Scheme!

Cons

Lots of people that have been around too long - they may have served the time but that doesn't mean they know best.

Advice to Management

This business needs a huge cultural shift - attitude & behaviours mean a heck of a lot more than skills & knowledge.

3. Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

They care about their employees as much as they care about the customers of their brands.

Cons

The only downsides would be salary comparative to market although this is offset by the other benefits.

5. Difficult at times

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomous working.
    Able to manage my own workload
    Left to sort out things my way
    Lovely workmates and Hotel Managers very friendly

Cons

Extremely low pay for skilled maintenance workers. Its an insult
    Massive workload for one person in a 100 plus room hotel & Restaurant needs at least 2 engineers.
    Difficult to obtain spares to maintain hotel always kept waiting for purchase authorisation.
    No support from Regional Maintenance Manager (never even met him)
    Cluster manager incompetent

Advice to Management

Issue Trade cards to Maintenance engineers as they know the hotels better than you when it comes to obtaining everyday spares & repair items.
    Authorise purchases in a timely manner don't keep delaying just to keep to budget. Overspends are inevitable in a City centre hotel. Things get broken and need fixing you know!!
    Listen to what team members say and act on it.
    PAY US AT LEAST THE LIVING WAGE and you might get better teams.

6. All in all not a bad company to work for! I've worked for them for 16 years! Have made a lot of very good friends.

Current Employee - Grill Chef in Bognor Regis, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Grill Chef in Bognor Regis, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

The best things about working for whitbread is the good friends you make! Even the managers are down to earth and generally will do what they can do to help you even if it's a personal problem you might be having!

Cons

The worst things are the time constraints on everything you do. The constant need to update things like labelling guides for shorter times than you would expect!

Advice to Management

Please bring back the recognition for everyone I.e. beating weekly/monthly targets guest rec. Also please give more recognition to the managers as happy managers make for an even easier happier shift/week/month which obviously makes for better service and happier customers!

7. Whitbread is getting bigger and bigger and im part of it.

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good developing courses to progress career

Cons

working weekends always at work

8. Fantastic Company, Fantastic Values

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brilliant employee offers, you get a debit card, which if you top up you get cash back when used at certain stores, you get a privilege card giving you 25% off at all of the companies Whitbread own. Amazing pension and Share Save Schemes. So much opportunity to progress (in 3 years I went from Team Member to Assistant Manager)

Cons

It's only yourself that can hold you back

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

9. Working as a chef in Brewers Fayre- for the past three years- has been, for the most part, enjoyable and fruitful.

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Staff and colleagues are friendly and easy to work with. I have been given multiple opportunities to progress- from a Dishwasher to a chef- in a short space of time. I have been given responsibilities unprecedented for someone of my age.

Cons

However, I feel the level of pay i now earn is below standard. As a trained employee of 3 years, I am a valuable part of the kitchen, that being said, I earn £7.20. In comparison, a team member's starting wage is £6.50- that is, a 16 year old working part time out of school as a front of house waiter. I feel this low pay grade is due to budget cuts from managers seeking bonuses- managers who are in turn fairly compensated for saving money. This then results in high manager turnover and instability in the workplace. To put this in perspective, since August 2012, there have been 4 Kitchen Managers, 4 General Mnagers, 3 Depute GM's, and countless Team Leaders and Assistant Managers.

Advice to Management

See my Cons list, in short, pay the deserving staff a bit more, or risk losing them to competitors like Greene King, etc.

10. Great company let down by bad management!

I have been working at Whitbread full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work way up in.
    Good benefits.
    Good working environment.

Cons

Overworked.
    Bad management taking sides with preferred team mates.
    Lazy team leaders.

Advice to Management

Treat team leaders same as team members.
    Allow 12 hour gaps between shift as it states in handbook

Wanting to leave after 7 yrs at Premier Inn

I have been working at Whitbread

Pros

Great sense of team spirit
    Hard working people

Cons

Poor pay
    Back breaking work
    Working weekends and Bank Hols
    Unpredictable finish times.
    Management constantly driving us to cut hours

Advice to Management

I work as part of the housekeeping team in a Premier Inn. Believe it or not, until recently I felt that the pros outweighed the cons. That was how highly I valued the strong sense of team spirit I shared with my co-workers. When faced with a long list of rooms and the cutting of the hours in which to clean them, we all just knuckled down and got on with it, all mucking on together to get the job done. Now somebody in management has, like a new broom made sweeping changes to the way we work. We have been told we have to complete our own list, then leave. We are not supposed to help others to finish their work, nor are we allowed to work in same room as someone else. Thank you very much, whoever did this, you are doing your best to kill our team spirit, it seems. We are being constantly harangued about 'going over our hours'. This is why these changes are taking place. When put into perspective supposing we go over by say 10 hours in a week, that would only cost the company £66. It is peanuts! Less than what they might lose if a room remained unsold or they had to reimburse a guest. I don't understand why such a huge profit making company needs to be so penny pinching. Now that we are not allowed to help one another or work together in a room, which might allow for a brief chat, ie normal human interaction. It makes us feel dehumanized. We may as well be robots!

Whitbread Photos

Premier Inn, Prestwich (Photo thanks to Geograph user N Chadwick, Some Rights Reserved)
Premier Inn (Newcastle Metrocentre) (Photo thanks to Geograph user David Dixon, Some Rights Reserved)
The Premier Inn and Taybarn in Chesterton (Photo thanks to Geograph user Steve Daniels, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo