Wikia

Be The First To
Add Photos

Craig Palmer

Best Company to work for in The Valley

ProsHands down, Wikia is THE best company to work for in "the valley." Management is experienced and focused, there's a fantastic office vibe, and, of course, the product is great.

The senior team is one of the most organized and balanced that I have ever worked with (and I am very picky). There's a lot of forethought and planning that goes into goal setting -- and, best of all, senior management actually sticks to those goals and sees them through (something I very much respect and appreciate). There's a lot of work that goes into planning, but it's well worth it.

Folks under the senior level are equally impressive and experienced -- a lot of care goes into interviewing and recruiting, and this is reflected in the staff at all levels.

Strong community focus is always present and Wikia's community is a happy and healthy one.

ConsThere are no cons to be mentioned. It's simply a great company to work for!

Horribly managed, no consideration for client base

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Flexible, fun environment
    - Working with modern technology & tools
    - Good to get a foot in the field

Cons- Managers are chickens running around with their head cut off, doing as they please
    - No regard given for users that make Wikia what it is, resulting in much animosity between Wikia & wiki contributors
    - Often got late payments and never received last few paycheques, never got a response when I repeatedly asked what was going on with my pay
    - Low hourly wage
    - Slim chance at getting raise / promotion
    - Staff often leave to work somewhere else after a year or two
    - More focus on ads and ad placement than actual development
    - Focusing too much on making wikis a social media thing

Great company culture, explosive growth, top notch leadership.

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe San Francisco headquarters is a fun, vibrant environment where smiles abound and the kegs are always tapped. The employees are a fun crew, well educated with extensive experience in their respective fields. The company is growing, so there is much room for career advancement.

ConsThis is a dog friendly office. Sometimes dogs bark. That can be annoying. Also, there are people who leave their dirty dishes in the sink instead of washing them or putting them in one of the two empty dishwashers. Gross.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing all the right things.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intriguing, but ultimately disappointing

Front End Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe culture at Wikia is very casual and it shows in their nice open office located in the heart of SOMA. The people are lovely and your working hours will be flexible so long as you get stuff done. There are opportunities to travel abroad at least once a year.

ConsWikia is built on top of the MediaWiki framework which is a complex and aging monolith. This causes everything to move at a snails pace and really seems to limit the flexibility of the product. As such, be prepared to spend a lot of time in maintenance and bug fixing mode. From a users perspective, the general website experience, which has been assembled in small parts over the years, can be buggy, unintuitive and inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your employees with some long term vision and resolve. There seems to be a really big disconnect between the senior management, employees and users in terms of expectation and product development. Don't settle for a mediocre revenue scheme; try to be more innovative and don't be afraid to push forward with some risky projects, possibly even an overhaul of the underlying frameworks and technologies used. This could really speed up product development and help bring Wikia's potential to fruition.

Stable company with big opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsOverall, a great place to work. Smart people, open source technology, big scale. Good opportunity to make an impact and work on something that millions of people will use. Great work/life balance. Decent perks. Almost everyone gets to travel to the Poland office, which is fun.

ConsCan be slow-paced sometimes. Working with a big open source project can be great but it can also add a lot of overhead.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate a little more to the individual teams.

Software Developer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

ProsGood culture, low pressure, good managment (polish office)

ConsOld codebase, bad decisions in the past that hunt us make your job really frustrating

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to developers more.

Great place to work

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat work-life balance, fun people, fun activities, fun product. There's tons of information at your finger tips with all of the wikis.

ConsOlder technology, but they're working on that.

Best employee I've worked for

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Poznań, Greater Poland (Poland)

Pros- great, startup-like atmosphere
    - challenging tasks
    - developers have a lot of independence and power to make decissions

Cons- a lot of projects are done in PHP, which is not the state of the art
    - late working hours in European offices (HQ are in San Francisco)

A fun and enriching place to work

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros* Collaborative atmosphere
    * Lots of flexibility
    * Plenty of interesting areas to work on, particularly around scalability
    * Opportunity to collaborate on MediaWiki, the platform that powers Wikipedia (there are definite avenues to get your changes into core MediaWiki, which means they would be live on Wikipedia)
    * Fantastic SF office, recently expanded, with great location across from South Park in SoMa
    * Easy commuting from Caltrain, BART; reasonable private parking nearby
    * Friendly environment
    * Wikia's code is open-source, so you're getting paid to work on an open-source project
    * The company is growing rapidly, meaning there's a lot of opportunity to take on new roles and responsibilities

Cons* Commuting can be a pain any time there is a Giants game
    * MediaWiki's coding conventions are fairly old-school as far as coding style and architecture goes.
    * There is significant technical debt in certain parts of the product, but not much time presently allotted to work on addressing that
    * The backend is mostly Perl scripts, so those used to "younger" scripting languages may have a hard time getting acculturated
    * The company is growing rapidly, which means that growing pains can arise

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to emphasize not only product quality but code quality as well. Investing time into refactoring and testing would be time well spent.

A Pretty Good Place to Work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsI've been at Wikia for over a year, and over all its one of the better places I've worked. The culture is friendly, and most people work 40-45 hours a week. The engineering organization has been slowly growing in the US, and growing very quickly in Poland.

Its rare to find a place that is this enjoyable to work, that is one of the top 40 sites on the internet.

- Wikia has one of the best work life balances of any place I've ever worked.
    - Good group of engineers.
    - Some Sr. Management hires have been stellar.
    - Great location, and beautiful offices.

ConsWhile the above points are good, every place has its drawbacks.

- Poor hardware setups for engineering, with a (mid range mac w/ a 3 year old monitor)
    - Lacks product vision
    - Poor career growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on a longer term product focus, and make bold choices regarding the product.

Worked for Wikia? Contribute to the Community!