Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 78 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place until Philosophy Changed

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Edina, MN (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat products, awesome discount.

ConsManagement always under pressure from above. Too much micro-managing of mature employees. Inflexible regarding work schedules.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company to work for. The culture is a mutual respect and willingness to accommodate associates' unique circumstances. The products practically sell themselves due to the high quality of merchandise and excellence in customer service.

ConsNo cons about working for WS, however it is a retail industry with all that it entails.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt my store (PBK branch) in Orlando, Fl. management cheers for your success and growth within the company as well as providing opportunities to learn more and better yourself as an associate. GM engages every employee in being a cohesive team. Compensation is within the market's average retail business.

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Internet Design Coordinator (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

ConsIf you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

Great Company - GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

ProsProduct. People.Performance
The product is high quality you can believe in when selling to guest!
The people at all levels in the company are genuine and really care about associates!
The managers communicate constantly how you are doing on any given day and are always letting you know they appreciate you! LOVE this COMPANY!

ConsI have no cons.. would like to work more

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the GREAT WORK!

Overall, a satisfying place to work

Furniture Service Associate (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are like family and very supportive of each other

ConsNot enough internal job openings

Advice to Senior ManagementStop interviewing every single person who applies for an internal position just because they applied. If not all applicants are qualified, do not interview all applicants; it just wastes time and gives false hope.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Prosgood place to work part time

Consnot enough hours to work

Advice to Senior Managementmorehours

Great Place to Work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI got to use all my favorite kitchen gadgets and teach people how to use them. Got some nice sales awards in the from of product.

ConsHoliday hours... I'm not cut out for the commitment of hours durning the Holiday's required by retail.

If you love their products, I'd recommend working here! GREAT discounts!!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with a wide variety of customers and employees. 40% discount as an employee!!

ConsTime management. Always on the go, never stopping. It's very hard to try and contact a manager or need assistance immediately.

Going downhill, everyone is leaving! Don't come here if you're looking for a happy career!

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time

ProsOne of the better things about working here is about the people you'll meet. There are some genuinely good quality people here - along with the bad apples you meet, of course. It's a shame many of these good apples are slowly but surely leaving the company. Sure, we have early summer Fridays, but these early Fridays use to be year-round. Costs are constantly being cut - even though the company does relatively well. Why aren't employees rewarded more? Another good thing about this company are that the teams here know no boundaries to perfection. They are very focused on being perfect, which is great and admirable - but soemtimes given the situation - it's doing a little too much and a bit draining. People need a life. You don't have to be 100% and wear everyone out on things that may not matter. 80-90% is good. Let's call it a night, people. If need be, let's work on it tomorrow and/or prioritize what's REALLY more important. Lastly, the holiday Children parties are great. However, if you don't have any kids, there is likely no party for you to participate in during the holidays. If there is, it is a small department thing that may very well be on a strict low budget. If you ask me, I'd rather have a party to enjoy with my coworkers than one with my kids.

ConsFor one, early Fridays year round are gone, as mentioned. For two, management can be very belittling, and too uptight. The tone of voice and choice of words can be very condescending and straight up rude.

Work/life balance is HORRIBLE. Most of the people who write on here that they think work/life balance is reasonable must be working on hourly pay. Company provides no comp time, and only provides bonuses for sr level and above. Even then, the bonus is not guaranteed at the full 10% even for all the hard work you put in! Hell, DINNER isn't even comped when you stay late to work. This company is beyond stingy. What's a few extra dollars in making sure I'm happy and well fed so that I can continue working hard and longer for you?

The company morale here is very low. They do nothing to support team building activities, nothing to celebrate welcoming(besides your welcome lunch with your manager), accomplishments, departures (I'm talking about good people who have left the company too!), and nothing to celebrate holidays. The company is very cheap and they do not care about retaining employees. They work you to the bone and are surprised when you are unhappy. It's not rocket science.

Nobody I have talked to likes working here. The turnover is crazy. I have watched many of my coworkers leave right before my eyes. Word of advice - when deciding where you want to work, why would one choose WS when so many other companies in the bay area offer so many more perks? The last time I spoke to my coworkers before I left, many of them told me they couldn't want to find a new job and get out as well.

Give the company a try. Let's see how long you last.....

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with RESPECT. You are no better than any of us lower titled people. We bleed the same way don't we? And just like me, you can be fired to. No one is invincible.

Also, show recognition and don't be afraid to praise and/or spend a few dollars on your employees. Stop being cheap and trying to save every single dollar.

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe discount and the food samples.

ConsThe tedious deadlines, the wasted time in large meetings, last minute fire-drills, the 50 analysis projects only to have your manager tell you, you should have looked at this instead. The lack of communication and expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with employees, ask if they need guidance, what are they working on. Share your opinions and ask for theirs.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 533 reviews are posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.