Williams-Sonoma

Updated 28 January 2015
2.9

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been interviewed here.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good to wok, nice environment.

Cons

Not much friendly people are here.

Terrible culture at HQ.

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of baked goods around from Gracious coworkers and sometimes the test kitchen would hold small tastings.

Amazing view of the Bay and Alcatraz from the top floor of the building.

Cons

No focus on culture from leadership.

Constant indecisiveness all the way up to the end of the production cycle, causing lots of spin and higher than average late nights on Janet Haye's whim.

Frantic work environment.

The feeling that your job isn't to have any new ideas.

The feeling of having to come in early and stay late just to do your job each day.

Working from home was frowned upon, and a battle to get the privilege. A real lack of flexibility.

You don't have a voice if you're not senior level.

If you do bring something up to management, there's a lot of red tape to go through and you're left with no real outcome, except "maybe someday".

Old fashioned authoritative structure. No one is approachable.

I didn't know how bad the culture really was until I left.

You are either in the game or you simply get sent out of the game

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Olive Branch, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Olive Branch, MS (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

You get to work 3 or 4 days a week except during peak seasons. Great overtime pay if you are willing to work the extended hours.

Cons

Too much power bestowed on some Shift Leads, if you are not in their good books or willing to dance to their tune, you might pay with your job.

Management need to base decision making especially (who they keep or let go) on company's policy, efficiency and great productivity. They need to verify every report before taking drastic decisions.

Company is going to fail

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Great job if you like to fix problems and sit down all day

Cons

Computers are from stone age.training is long and unorganized. They spend as much time training seasonal employees than they do keeping you as an employee. 98% of incoming calls are people calling in with problems either order was messed up or they didn't get their credit or product was damaged ...way too many promotions changes daiky. Website not streamlined. To many people working as supervisors doing nothing to help new people. No regard for employees ...place is a factory. Company will eventually fail with bad customer service ...this is a job for people at end of rope or retired. Cold staff . Low unfair pay.

Talk to employees more ..get better equiptment. Change customer service or you will all be out of a job soon. Change training. Keep people for their personality rather than if they are late. Point system is grade school. Supervises are condescending and cold . If anything this job will make you want to get a better job just so you never have to go back to zombieland

I work as a stock runner for Williams Sonoma, it can be a very intense job, but very rewarding job.

Current Employee - Stock Room Attendant in Tigard, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Stock Room Attendant in Tigard, OR (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There's always something to do, so time passes quickly. My coworkers are amazing and so are the customers.

Cons

The constant stock requests can be overwhelming for newbies, especially those coming on for the holiday season.

Use lots of positive reinforcement for morale. My boss does and it really helps get through the day.

Good Culture, Desire to Change, but does require patience

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work if you want to improve business processes in the DevOps space

Cons

Hard to teach old dogs new tricks

CIO needs to embrace DevOps to foster adoption across organizations

Mixed feelings

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in Wellington, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

+Great food
    +Above minimum wage
    +Most managers are very caring
    +Most team members are very kind
    +I was able to cook as part of my job
    +Most clientele was favorable
    +They are strict on when you get breaks and how long your breaks are. You have a 6 hour shift? You WILL take a 30 minute break halfway through.

Cons

-As with most retail, hours vary per week. I'd have 8 one week and 35 the next.
    -Again, as with most retail people find it easier to complain about you than to complement you to your managers. I had gotten 2 complaints the day after Christmas from people trying to return things that were simply not returnable by company policy. I was then told by the manager to just "Have more fun" and to "Be more happy".
    -Older associates who have worked at WS for an extended period of time can be cocky and demeaning.
    -People get feisty about who's sales associate number gets put in the system for each sale even though associates receive no commission nor do they truly receive any bonuses.
    -Email capture and credit cards are essential to me keeping my job when we have a mostly older clientele who prefer not to give email and sometimes don't even possess an email to give.
    -If I do so much as leave the cash wrap (when it's not busy) to help a customer who requests help I get in trouble for leaving the cash wrap.

Email capture shouldn't be one of the factors of whether or not someone keeps their job. Cashiers are people too, take care of them. Often times their job is more stressful than that of the Sales Associates simply because they are the ones dealing with payment. If the system asks for sales associate numbers, at least include some sort of commission or bonus. It's pointless the way that it is and only starts fights between associates and cashiers.

I was only able to work there for a year, due to health issues, but they really take care of their employees.

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Jeffersonville, OH (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a wonderful work environment. The management really cares about the employees. The benefits are wonderful and if you are lucky enough to be part of the management team, you are covered from day one with your benefits.

Cons

It can be challenging working retail. Your schedule is never the same from one week to the next. It can also be very physical working and stocking shelves, lifting and pulling on a concrete floor.

Working in Williams Sonoma

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

international, good reputation, product enjoyable

Cons

not well paid, not good technological infrastructure, old fashioned type of management

listen more to the employees, create an environment that would foster cooperation not competition

Please provide your stores with functioning equipment!

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

I get to meet a lot of wonderful people who come in to the store for our knowledge, enthusiasm, products, and new ideas

Cons

The infrastructure of the company, as well as the store itself, is not capable of supporting the business at the most basic level. Cutting payroll adds insult to injury. We are sinking with no life-ring to hold onto, and no one to help us.

PLEASE invest in your business. First, payroll. We cannot work with just two people in the store. It is unsafe, and unrealistic. Second, and probably more important: you must update your computers, cash registers, office equipment and telephones. Your business tools are obsolete, and the customers see that. It is absolutely humiliating to have something as basic as the website refuse to load (multiple times), or the register freeze. This is a daily occurrence, not an occasional situation. I have to call Store Support that I have the number memorized and have a preferred analyst. This is Williams-Sonoma: we are selling top-notch product using bottom-tier tools. merch locator is a disaster: the search string is not automated, and one line of items can be called many different things. Ready to play " guess how this sku is listed in merch?" It regularly takes me up to twenty minutes to locate an item in the system, bc it has to be exactly as typed in by whatever agent is inputting data, and there is no standardization. Lately, it's getting to the point where I dread helping my customers, bc it's like, great, what's going to go wrong on this one? No sku, and twenty minute SKU hunt? Have to go in the back to get something, but no one else to help me climb the latter and hoist down the box, worried that I'm going to get hurt? Try to order on line but the computer freezes and loses their order, the. You have to call customer service, who tell you to call back in 24 hours? Or, merch says you have 12 of them, but can only find 2. We look like absolute incompetents and it is embarassing. INVEST IN YOUR BUSINESS! You cannot run a "high-end" business in 2015 with equipment from the 90s. It cannot be done. YOU are eroding your brand, not us.