Williams-Sonoma

Updated 19 November 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 85 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Williams-Sonoma is no longer people first - I chose to be a manager somewhere else because their core values have become compromised

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Generous discount across all sister brands. Great opportunity to move between brands in your career growth. Enjoyed people I worked with.

Cons

-payroll consistently cut to the point that it hurt the business
    -management unable to coach and develop under performers
    -too many people who have worked there part time for 15 years. They were unable to sell or were cocky
    -consistent disarray with long term planning from buyers
    -quality of product decreased year to year

Listen to feedback from stores in order to support them.

little to no opportunity for career growth

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great discount and amazing sample sales and silent auctions. people who really care about their products and want to make homes more beautiful. the location is great even though the building is slowly deteriorating, but there are lots of places to eat and close to embarcadero if you ever want to go for a walk.

Cons

inconsistent. upper management pretends to care about your career development but only really care about themselves. there is no work life balance. you put in much more than you actually get out of the position because you have no time to really enjoy your job and what you are doing.

listen to the people and their suggestions/complaints.

Very engaging company, motivating and authentic. Listens to individuals and their goals and encourages teams.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very inspiring company, you can contribute and bring your ideas. Room to dream and grow. Honest candid feedback for your future development. You are encouraged to drive your business and are rewarded. Working here is inspiring and challenging and cutting edge for retail and ecom. You get to run your part of the business with support.

Cons

Moving faster than we can develop leaders. All teams must ramp up to bring along future leaders the company is young and thriving and needs innovative thinkers.

Continue to seek out and ask for innovative ideas. Great company for women very supportive. Love the people first culture. Continue to push for diversity and inclusion it is a great match with company goals.

Not for the technologically inclined

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good chances for movement within the company

Cons

They do not value technology at all. Computers that are barely held together with tape are given to new employees. Industrial printers for the design team break on an almost daily basis. They have just enough equipment to go around and no spares if things break which is all the time.

invest in your company. it's hard to attract good talent when they will not get the tools to do their jobs.

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Senior management seems committed to carrying the vision Chuck Williams had 50+ years ago. People are proud of the work they do and the products they offer to customers. A big per, of course, is the employee discount.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit antiquated. But it could be a "if it isn't broken don't fix it" type thing.

Perhaps consider flex-time or go back to offering early Fridays.

Williams-Sonoma was the perfect fit for me. Combined experience in culinary with sales and great people!

Former Employee - Associate Manager
    Former Employee - Associate Manager

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have a culinary degree so teaching classes, new product demo, contests to win tons of top of the line product great people who are tenured, associates are appreciated

Cons

constantly changing the game on the team, too many elaborate visual changes too close together

When you have an employee that you value, do everything to keep them

Good place for dedicated teams.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong heritage culture, and customers are very appreciated and valued. The culinary culture is rich, and management wants people to succeed.

Cons

We work hard, and always ask people to improve

We could use more diversity and inclusion

Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brands and products so the discount is worthwhile. Good associates. Women in upper management and not just young talent.

Cons

There is a disconnect between associates and upper management. High turnover.

Nice place to hang out.

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company discount, low pressure, friendly people, honest and straightforward management, tangible consistent goals and results, family- and community friendly culture

Cons

Like most retailers, little budget for great technology investment, except for store operations. Lots of old-times with little innovation, much to risk-averse. Average pay and benefits.

Continued the consistent growth and results with time-honored brands and marketing. Exploit technology and be innovative to cut costs/extend margins/become more efficient

A happy new hire

Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with the Pottery Barn Kids brand for 8 months now. I was at another retailer for many years. What I have found most refreshing here is that I I feel appreciated and recognized for my hard work and results. Top management stays close to the Associates in the field and stay connected and engaged. Successful companies are those where top managers never allow themselves to get removed from the customer. They truly care about the people that work here. They care tremendously! I love the people in every WSI brand. If you want to be a part of a team with mutual respect and trust, this is the place! It is proven that the number 1 reason people leave their job is they don't feel appreciated. I am motivated to work hard and deliver strong results and contribute to the overall success because I feel that I matter and feel supported.

Cons

It's a lot of hard work but because the people are amazing and I have the best boss ever!!! It doesn't seem like work at all!