Williams-Sonoma

Updated 9 December 2014
2.8

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing organization with great leadership on all levels. Ability to grow.

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time

Pros

Williams-Sonoma has been nothing but a great experience for myself. From challenging me to be a better leader in my business to giving me the ability to make decisions in my space that I need. Within the WSI brand family there are many different promotion opportunities. The organization believes in their people and putting the people in the right places. Cross branding employees is extremely important to leverage the high-caliber talent within the company. I would personally recommend William Sonoma to anyone looking to eagerly grow with an organization. Leadership on every level from the district manager, regional vice president's, Director of stores , president and CEO they are all extremely engaged and the everyday practice of the stores. They are "hands on" and focused on making WSI a better place for both internal and external customer.

Cons

The technology could definitely use an update. I would like to see the organization spend the money updating stores scheduling system as well as register system to maximize the profitability and increasing the ability to engage the customers better. Within a world of leading technology as a retailer of high-end goods we should be a little bit more in sync with technology. Retail is always a high demand job so they're always challenges but staying positive and working through your people are always the answer.

Continue what you're doing associate opinion surveys are great and we appreciate you using the outcome of those surveys to better the organization.

Too much politics with no recognition

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done.
    Discount - not only with discount, but sample sales are nice, sometimes they have special extra discounts during the holidays
    People - the people is what makes it worth coming to work
    Open environment - it's not all cubed up

Cons

Too many cooks - you want IT to go run with projects, but yet CEO is too hands on with projects and always want changes.
    Benefits and pay - way too low, with the long commute, only work life makes it worth it. Everyone is super underpaid, especially being in IT.
    Lack of growth - having 360 feedback is all BS because the people who suck up to higher ups will always move up and get promoted, where the people who work hard, have great business relationships get nothing
    Too much red tape - sometimes we'll work on projects and next thing you know, we either stop, or there are major changes
    Indecisive - People can't make up their minds what they want in a project, and often times takes too long to figure it out
    Not IT driven - it's all business driven and whatever IT's input is with projects, it generally gets trumped by business

Recognize the people who work on projects, stop focusing on negatives, but the positive, move people up the ladder for growth and pay people better. OR just have even work remotely because the pay is unjustifiable.

You have this huge 'DREAM' theme, but it doesn't mean anything if executives don't follow it.

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

You get paid every week and you get a yearly bonus check.

Cons

It's a warehouse it gets hot.

Working for Williams-Sonoma I was a material Handler it include the daily requisition of making sure all materials .

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a very good job to have and to work for very friendly and very good pay.

Cons

My job was only temp.

Work hard and you will enjoy the company.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff, great management, great products. A very fun place to work. Provides great service to customers

Cons

Pay is fairly little compared to other retail jobs. Long hours and working weekends gets tiring.

sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oak Brook, IL (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great staff, fun environment, good customers

Cons

no promotion within, favortism, bad bay

promote within based on performance, hr do your job

Human Resources

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brands and products so the discount is worthwhile. Good associates. Women in upper management and not just young talent.

Cons

There is a disconnect between associates and upper management. High turnover.

Good place for dedicated teams.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong heritage culture, and customers are very appreciated and valued. The culinary culture is rich, and management wants people to succeed.

Cons

We work hard, and always ask people to improve

We could use more diversity and inclusion

Companay Need to Honor their Offers to Customers

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

A wide variety of Interesting products

Cons

Customers get angry because they are agressive with offers, but then renigs on them after the customer purchases

Always act honorably with your customer, as well as your employees

Nice place to hang out.

Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Data Warehouse Architect in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company discount, low pressure, friendly people, honest and straightforward management, tangible consistent goals and results, family- and community friendly culture

Cons

Like most retailers, little budget for great technology investment, except for store operations. Lots of old-times with little innovation, much to risk-averse. Average pay and benefits.

Continued the consistent growth and results with time-honored brands and marketing. Exploit technology and be innovative to cut costs/extend margins/become more efficient