Williams-Sonoma

Updated 27 January 2015
2.9

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 87 reviews)

• Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst corporate company ever!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. Worst decision of my life to work here. Finance team is dreadful and lacks friendliness. Now that I have left, I see how bad I had it.

Cons

Promotions are far and few in between. People can have the same title for 10 years before they get promoted. Most people don't get a bonus structure, and they have no care about your personal work life balance.

Even on salary, my managers would NOT let me take a lunch when it was busy. Wtf? The micromanagement here is disgusting. Thank God I am out.

Nothing can be said to help. Management is pompous, and they act like they are doing you a favor to keep you employed here.

A great company history, but core values and culture are being sacrificed.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company history.
    Great products.
    Great people.
    Great customers.

Cons

No ability to leverage payroll to drive sales.
    Little or no work life balance.

Extremely difficulty to get a response from corporate partners.

Constant pressure to improve key initiatives such as in home business but little or no payroll or support.
    Little to know training program.

Field is afraid to speak up, without repercussions.

+Stop ignoring the field address the payroll challenges. With constant cuts to payroll it is impossible manage the amount of workload the field is seeing everyday. If payroll is a concern, stop wasting it on executive visits. I would think senior executives would want to see how stores are really operating not a staged perspective. Way too much money is spent and then cuts are made across the field to pay for it.
    +Ensure field has payroll to train managers and associates. Too much information is being sent down but no payroll is allocated to train. Stores cannot train during business hours with minimal coverage, while processing shipment, implementing visual changes, calling clients, and engaging customers.
    + Money is being wasted on visual sinage. The field does not have the manpower to keep up.
    + The field needs a way to manage shipment. Provide stores with accurate daily box counts. Support stores with enough payroll to process shipment. Stockrooms are a safety hazard and managers cannot process shipment and manage the sales floor simultaneously. I

Good company to work for

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

None - I have no complaints

Retail-Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers( associates) were very supportive and friendly. Great employee discount. Great location. Good clientele. Nice merchandise.

Cons

Assistant managers have terrible Nazi management skills. Very negative. Random criticism in front of customers. Plenty of negative reinforcement and no time for training nor positive learning.
    Store is in violation of Labor Laws. Current Lawsuit for not paying employees on time and not allowing for breaks.
    No room for employees to take breaks. Employees were required to use dirty aprons.
    Clearly, store has violated Health Codes. No training for food handlers. The back kitchen is horrific-unclean. Refrigerator was broken for weeks and so was the plumbing. The one toilet was broken.
    Shocking as this Company prides itself on high end merchandise. No quality for employees-retail associates.

Hire consultants to review training for retail store management. Managers need more support and training. Zero tolerance of Nazi commando tactics. Fire assistant managers who yell and belittle associates. Focus on treating Associates "high-end" like the merchandise you sell. Major store restoration...kitchen, clean it up! Allow for decent space for breaks. I was very disappointed working for store 104 as I Williams-Sonoma has a very good perception.

Williams -Sonoma

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Ease of learning about food and food preparation. Great products to use and great relationship with clients

Cons

Upper management and overall training opportunity for employees. Morale is low and decision making is weak and micromanaged.

Nice people...slow growth

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, but limited on learning.
    Can be a great career path for some.

Cons

Favoritism is played pretty bad here.
    Takes at least 3-4 years to be promoted to senior level (e.g. senior analyst).
    Turn over rate avg is 2-3 years due to slow growth, and raises are based off critical reviews (less than 2% annual raise if generous)
    Benefits are okay...no free/subsidized lunches, only tea bags in the break room.

Get to learn your employees, and see what their strengths are.

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time (less than a year)

Pros

We have some of the best customers anyone could ever want. Associates are wonderful and it's a pleasure coming to work.

Cons

Store GM is mercurial. Too much time and money spent on "perfect" visuals--but who ever bought because all the jars of a particular product are turned 10 degrees to the left, or stacked one row higher? Not me.

Need to be more positive towards employees.

Too much politics with no recognition

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance - is great as long as you get what you need done.
    Discount - not only with discount, but sample sales are nice, sometimes they have special extra discounts during the holidays
    People - the people is what makes it worth coming to work
    Open environment - it's not all cubed up

Cons

Too many cooks - you want IT to go run with projects, but yet CEO is too hands on with projects and always want changes.
    Benefits and pay - way too low, with the long commute, only work life makes it worth it. Everyone is super underpaid, especially being in IT.
    Lack of growth - having 360 feedback is all BS because the people who suck up to higher ups will always move up and get promoted, where the people who work hard, have great business relationships get nothing
    Too much red tape - sometimes we'll work on projects and next thing you know, we either stop, or there are major changes
    Indecisive - People can't make up their minds what they want in a project, and often times takes too long to figure it out
    Not IT driven - it's all business driven and whatever IT's input is with projects, it generally gets trumped by business

Recognize the people who work on projects, stop focusing on negatives, but the positive, move people up the ladder for growth and pay people better. OR just have even work remotely because the pay is unjustifiable.

You have this huge 'DREAM' theme, but it doesn't mean anything if executives don't follow it.

Lots of Potential

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Olive Branch, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Olive Branch, MS (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation, PTO, Brand Recognition, Discounts, Potential for growth if you play the game

Cons

Peak season is miserable, Poor planning on projects and volume spikes, temporary workforce is the absolute bottom of the barrel.

Stock employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time (more than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, 40% employee discount

Cons

it was not very challenging work