Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store(in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong(in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers(in 33 reviews)

145 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Director

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsInnovative, Creative, Marketing Experts, Leaders in Product Development

ConsI never had a bad day at Williams-Sonoma.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Stay positive. Drive Results

Cool brand, needs improvement - great learning

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosfun products, intelligent people who have been there for a while

Conseveryone is very stuck in their way of doing things. no one is moving forward with the marketplace. middle/senior management don't understand the workflow at the bottom of the totem pole.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the morale up!

Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated, forced overtime, high stress

Production Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLooks good on a resume because other companies know if you can stand working there you can stand working anywhere. Otherwise no Pros.

ConsNo personal growth, no respect for work life balance, forced overtime including weekends, forced to skip lunches. Vacations denied. Forced to come in sick as well as work overtime sick. Have to ask permission to leave every day. Oh and multiple employees cry in the bathroom, take mental leaves of absence or develop ulcers due to stress.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved all the products, met lots of nice people and enjoyed the job on a whole.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat discount. Loved learning so much from co-workers. Enjoyed trying all the new products. Good exercise walking and climbing ladders.

ConsPay is terrible and always working weekends! Always on your feet. High expectations only from some.

Advice to Senior Managementa real disconnect and expectations are unrealistic!

Currently well managed. After 6 years and 3 different General Managers everything and everyone seem to be doing well.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Corte Madera, CA (US)

ProsExcellent products support by a well trained staff. We get personal with our customers and want them to feel well taken care of during their shopping experience as well as after with our Clienteling support; keeping customers up to date with our new offering and specials.

ConsEmployees are constantly required to do more with no increase in hourly rate. Over the six years the most I have received for a raise is $.55.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter wages that match what we do for our customers.

Good experience in working with retail and back office applications

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWorking with the people from various departments when I was hired over 15 years ago was a joy because the bottom always mattered. The communications on cross-department projects from the project leaders kept everyone on task.

ConsNot having a defined job description for most of the IT group was challenging. When they were finalized after being there 10 years, it was difficult meeting the expectations.

Advice to Senior Management2007-2008 was difficult for most organizations and IT staff across the board at WSM were working outside of what they were hired for, so managers that can coach is a must.

Benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsBest Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales! If you're lucky you can find a job with autonomy.

ConsLack of Career Opportunities and promotions

Williams-Sonoma needs to pay more for talent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat vendors, exciting product, good work life balance, great location.

ConsPay is low compared to other retailers and not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack communication to actionable groups, last minute changes disrupt processes

Great opportunity, average experience

Senior Buyer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFantastic product knowledge, talented design teams

ConsTerrible environment. Leadership was weak, not engaged or inspiring. People were miserable across many different teams, did not respect sr. leadership and decision-making. Processes are antiquated,

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and pay attention to your leaders

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Internet Design Coordinator (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

ConsIf you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!