Workday

Updated 24 November 2014
4.3

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • work-life balance is great, they give you reimbursements for fitness so they want you to go work out (in 9 reviews)

• Great product, well-managed at the higher levels, expanding, very positive and flexible work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 6 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Workday means having a lot of impact on many people lives as our products are used by pretty much all employees of the top companies. It's a lot of responsibility but it's challenging and exciting to be able to touch so many people and improve their experience at Work. One of my favorite benefits is unlimited holidays, which means you have to time to rest and do good work.

Cons

I think the salaries are pretty low compared to other tech companies.

Best company I've worked at

I have been working at Workday

Pros

This is a company that's growing insanely fast. With that there are growing pains, bureaucracy, etc. but this is all taken in stride. As things on the business side get more complicated, the human side is growing to help ease that - snacks/drinks, events, benefits are all growing as the company figures how to do something for 3k+ employees. Leadership is transparent about where we're heading and sets lofty goals, but the company works its butts off to try and get there. With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with). It's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

No free meals... yet!
    Compensation is not at some peers, but they try to make up by providing stock/RSU and ESPP. Everyone is a shareholder at the company.

A Culture of Opportunity!

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Great values, leaders, customers, and career progression.

Cons

I can't think of any cons! The best place to work.

Keep up the intense focus on employees.

Fantastic summer internship experience.

Former Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Great work culture
    - Very well developed internship program with lots of activities
    - Approachable workplace, easy to ask questions for help

Cons

- Pleasanton is not the most lively place.

Great people

I worked at Workday

Pros

Love all my co-workers, great product, great customers.

Cons

Very process oriented like a lot of software companies.

More focused on specific goals.

Workday Summer Internship

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

+ Challenging problems to tackle in all fronts. Developing on Workday's unique & powerful technology stack requires deep understanding of software engineering and the stack itself. Even front-end development here is unlike what it is at other companies. (They use custom rendering engines to populate the browser screen. Cool!)
    + everything is Java based, and OO skills is a must. This could be a con for some.
    + Everybody is very welcoming and friendly!
    + Laid back atmosphere that encourages good work. Full timers are happily willing to help whenever you have questions. I can think of multiple people who really cared about my learning experience on top of the work I was getting done. I cannot be more thankful for this.
    + Intern events to get interns excited about the company are well done. Not too pushy and people have genuine fun.
    + Nice housing for interns right next to the Pleasanton office.
    + Sweet backpacks to keep, swag, etc.

Cons

- Minimal official training for new-comers. Interns start the summer off by picking a project and spending the first few weeks getting familiar with the code base while working on said project. Would be very helpful if the team had a structured boot camp to cut this initial phase down to a couple weeks. The closest thing I saw to this was high-level overviews of Workday's unique tech stack in the beginning. The rest was sort of ask-as-you-go. However, I noticed something like a bootcamp being set up for incoming full timers towards the end of the summer so my experience may be outdated.
    - I noticed a few intern projects made available were doomed from the start. For example, one of the projects had a point of contact who was in Germany so any roadblocks took much longer to work out. Caution when choosing projects should make this a non issue.
    - Limited snack options, but an amazing coffee machine makes up for this.
    - That's it!

Immersed Internship Experience

Former Employee - Associate Software EngineeringOMS in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Software EngineeringOMS in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They took really great care of the interns. I had a great time with other interns and full time employees.
    I really enjoyed the experience of just given a problem and finding a solution for it. Design the project, pitch it to the team, and then implement it into the system.

Cons

Wish there were more snacks
    Wish there were more interactions with the full-timers aside from work.
    Need more bathrooms.

Great company to thrive in

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The perks, benefits, such smart people, great time off policy. We work hard but we also know how to play hard!
    They take care of employees, investing in them. I like the management style too.
    The clubs they offer such as a book club, cycling, etc are great and they also really focus on wellness.

Cons

So one thing, they really focus on referrals, so that said, it seems a lot of lazy folks that were left at the "other" company in Pleasanton are now making their way to Workday. It's unfortunate. Just because someone is referred by their friend doesn't mean they have a great work ethic. I think they should focus on recruiting people from other companies and not necessarily former oracle or peoplesoft people. Or ask other people who may have worked with them previously.
    Lack of bathrooms in the building. Usually a line in the ladies room.

I love Workday and our culture. However, bringing over managers and above from the former company/"other" company is going to degrade the culture. The other company had a cutthroat, back stabbing culture where no one shared information with each other. I really do not want to see that happen to Workday. Those people do not belong at Workday and more and more I am seeing some of those people being hired.

"You're having fun now, OK"

Former Employee - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great management; super approachable and helpful
    Fun events outside of the office
    The break room is really cool

That's about it. If that's all you're looking for in your job, this is the place for you!

Cons

Rigid and awkward proprietary coding language. Forget any programming skills you have; they won't come in handy here. On that note, a dev job here probably isn't going to be helpful at all in future job searches.

Awarded "Best Place To Work in the Bay Area," and this is shoved in your face on day 1, until you leave. Workday promotes itself on having a fun workplace, and you feel VERY pressured to express that same enthusiasm, even if you're not having a great time.

Let your employers form their own opinion of the company, instead of telling them what to think.

I would still be there but...

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I agree with a lot of what has been in many of the reviews here
    Great Culture
    Good Benefits
    Innovation is outstanding
    Decent Work-Life Balance depending upon your role

Cons

Hiring middle management from Oracle will kill Workday's great culture !
    Becoming very bureaucratic
    Compensation is very, very, very low

Evaluate middle management. Consider management training
    Evaluate Compensation a bit more critically. Stock options don't always pay the bills