Workday

Updated 16 November 2014
4.3

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • work-life balance is great, they give you reimbursements for fitness so they want you to go work out (in 9 reviews)

• Great product, well-managed at the higher levels, expanding, very positive and flexible work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 6 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Well run company

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a fun company that means business! We know how to make getting it done satisfying for both employees and customers which means that we have a lot of happy employees and customers. Workday has a workforce that is diverse and well rounded, and I believe that this shows in its products!

Cons

Workday needs to invest in better chairs. We sit in those things for the majority of our waking hours, they need to be comfortable and ergonomic, and are worth an investment.

place an appropriate value on facilities rather than pinching pennies there.

Workday is the best company a person can work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working here for about 4 months now. I came straight out of college with a degree in business. Working for Workday as been the most incredible experience. They take so much time and money in training their employees. I'm challenged every day. My leadership gives me the tools to succeed. The people that I work with are hard working, funny, and just down right good people. I'm not over worked even though I'm salary, work about 40-45 hours a week. Also the industry is exploding so Workday is growing faster then any company I know. I turned down a huge salary to come here and I have to say it was so worth it. I'm so happy to come into work every day.

Cons

I can't think of anything honestly.

Keep making your employees feel appreciated and continue to challenge them on the individual level.

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, informal, ambitious, friendly, just a great place to work. Loads of opportunities and really smart people.

Cons

Hours can be long (by choice to get things done) but there is a lot of flexibility if you want to work from home, start earlier/later etc.

Employee Friendly

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Workday is really focus to preserve its key values and keep working environment employee friendly. They provide great on boarding and new hire trainings.

Cons

Pay is average and benefits could be better.

Innovative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Cutting edge and innovative technology
    -Rapid growth as cloud ERP software takes over Oracle / SAP market share
    -Smart co-workers
    -Seasoned leaders

Cons

-Low pay for the Bay Area and especially for a company growing so rapidly.

-Need to pay more fairly for the contributions employees make to help Workday grow so quickly.

Workday internship

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, they treat employees really great and the employees are all super nice.

Cons

Pleasanton is a boring town.

Put the interns to dorm in SF or the bay area.

Great summer internship experience

Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Applications Developer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Had such a great summer due to this internship. They housed us, and had events for us all the time. The employees here are mostly all really nice, and the other interns were cool. Working wasn't ever really stressful, and felt laid back.

Cons

If you're in app dev, working in their proprietary language somewhat limits your learning experience for the internship. I felt like I didn't have time to really learn it that well, and therefore didn't do as much through the summer.

Stay away if you are a smart technical person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Good culture, fun activities (a huge thank to employee programs team), work-life balance, strong CEO/founders

Cons

the company runs on technology written in 2000 even though its still "new" for HCM business. Irrespective of that if you are a smart technical person there are tons of reason why you should NOT join here unless you want to work for a government like job

1. innovation is highly discouraged and you can not change anything in the architecture/code unless you are one of the very few who joined the company in the initial stages. You are highly encouraged to be part of status quo and do whatever they asked you to do in the way they asked you to do.

2. EVERY decision has to be stamped by the few architects. If they don't understand it or don't wanna do it however compelling it is or how much of data you have to prove it, you can not do it.

3. You will sometimes encounter situations where you come up with ideas and they get shot down or ignored. But later, in few weeks, when an old timer suggests the same thing, everybody applauds it and rush to do it.

4. Unless you are part of one of the core teams, you will be working on their proprietary language which is about "clicking on sh*t" as they say it. It will make you a slave of the system and you won't learn anything. In fact, your value and your thinking abilities will go down drastically over time. You won't be able to use that experience in the future for your next job.

5. A lot of leaders in groups are either unaware of or afraid of new technologies. They don't want to even experiment with those and prototype new concepts unless they are comfortable with it. Always think in terms of how its gonna make there work complicated.

In general, they have an old system even they are sick of keeping. But none of them want to rock the boat too much since its gonna affect their stocks at the end. The founders are wonderful to talk to and listen to and talks about the importance of innovation. But sadly innovation is really discouraged as long as the old timers are around. They have gotten comfortable with keeping a patched system and failing system than taking risks to improve things with new blood.

If you want to improve yourself in few years, not afraid of taking risk and do innovative things don't even think about joining here. But if you want to find a place to peacefully retire, come at 9am and leave at 5pm, this is an ideal place.

I attended the core values presentation and it talks about how important the innovation is. But sadly its not the case inside the engineering organization. Innovation is highly discouraged and gets shot down immediately if its not coming from an old timer. Also, every thing has to be stamped by an architect and those guys are not ready to take risks, research on new architectures/concepts. The company growth in terms of technology is limited by those few people. If the things needs to be improved, then there should be an environment for the newcomers to take risks prove concepts and move those into production. For now, everything is blocked.

Even as an HCM company HR seems to be broken internally. They schedule unrelated interviews for certain candidates with no coordination. Employee referrals are ignored. Some candidates are left in the dark during the recruitment process.

OK

I have been working at Workday

Pros

democratic ok ok ok ok ok

Cons

low pay ok ok ok ok ok

more pay

Great Atmosphere, Interesting People

I worked at Workday as an intern

Pros

The culture is amazing. Everyone really loves being here, loves each other, or (usually) both. Lots of company sponsored activities which make every week exciting. Management cares about you. You become inspired to work harder. Good pay, free housing (for interns and some positions).

Cons

Not many training courses offered for those that like learning from courses. Lots of people still stay after 5, so there is pressure to work longer hours. At times, hard to concentrate because people are always talking and laughing with each other, but a good pair of headphones will help.