Workday

www.workday.com
Employer Engaged

EPIC FAIL

I worked at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Workday is built for technology of the 21 st century. I definitely recommend Workday HCM products - definitely on the right technology platform and headed in the right direction. Workday has one of the best UI amongst its peers/competitors. Intuitive, easy to navigate, multiple paths of navigation etc...Easily configurable business processes, communication events and methods, good reporting architecture. Object/Action oriented approach gives another dimension to personnel data management. Not an antiquated relational database.

Cons

No on-boarding at multiple organizational levels post (Corporate) "lift off orientation" – spent a great deal of time operating blind.

• On-boarding at "Location Level" was nonexistent. i.e., Next steps? Working From Home? Go to Local Office? Contact Info? Office supplies?

• On-boarding at "Departmental Level" was sporadic at best. Very California "centric".

• On-boarding at "Team/Job Level" – No real interaction or introductions if you were not in the California offices. No ‘Go-to Person’ as a contact/mentor. Experienced very little peer/colleague camaraderie. "everyone out for themselves" or "got my own problems" or "no time".

• On-boarding at "Individual Level" was nonexistent. Travel Policy? Expenses? Emergency Contact List? Appropriate Contact Protocol? Department Manager failed to make expectations clear.
    - how would individual performance be assessed?
    - bonus and promotion criteria/opportunities?
    - clear and written “objectives” that stated accountable and measurable ROI were non-existent.
    - generalized discussions on “time to productivity” was all over the map depending on conversation and WHO you were speaking with.
    - never presented with documentation as reference, guidance, expectations or accountability.

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible!

On-boarding is the “mechanism through which new employees acquire the necessary knowledge, skills, and behaviors to become effective organizational members”

Helps your "new hires" make the transition to becoming:
    • productive
    • well-adjusted
    • and a happy contributing members of your company/team

Post (Corporate) "lift off orientation on-boarding" ranked low on the list of hiring priorities – poorly designed and even more poorly executed if there was one in place.

Very disappointing experience. Seems like a lot of emphasis goes into the nurturing of the “young / inexperienced” Grad Programs as opposed to the "seasoned / experienced” colleagues. Felt like a warm body filling a "hire requirement". I never at any given time felt the David Duffield “employee friendly” environment that is boasted. Definitely NOT the same (or better) "employee friendly" family from the old PEOPLESOFT days.

And on an ending note: I do support the Workday products. (see Pro's)

Internship Review

Former Intern - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great internship opportunity for computer science students - other departments not as much. They do a great job taking care of their employees, with great pay, complimentary housing, free seminars, and tons of fun details that create a fun office environment.

Cons

Not much growth or many learning opportunities outside the areas of computer science.

Look for hidden signals in interview, ok for entry level

I worked at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location because i lived very close to the office. Safe walk from Bart.
    Some people were fantastic but mostly other newer employees.
    Certain parts of the company that really have the described culture.

Cons

Beware if management chain from Peoplesoft or the startup. Your manager may not know how to lead and manage, if that matters to you.
    The people from the startup years seem to exclude newer employees. The former Peoplesoft people also are their own clique. Its like the cool kids, the sort of cool kids, and everyone trying to be the cool kids. Other employees from my new hire group expressed this concern to me after hire. They described it like high school.
    Your manager may be very technically competent but an incompetent manager of people, promoted just because they were from startup. If experienced, be prepared to work with less experienced management.
    After a year some are looked down upon, still don't know anything. In some groups don't expect much training. You must figure out almost everything on your own.
    It get worse, not better, over time, so left company.
    Don't expect a clear career progression. Watch out for management that are their to protect themselves. This is a very me first culture.

Hire experienced managers that know how to manage employees, and teach the leaders to delegate effectively to the managers.

Great product, great customers - not great financial opportunity for AEs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product, great market opportunity and great customer satisfaction. Great time off policy and overall respect for employees and customers.

Cons

Compensation opportunities for AEs are not competitive with the overall market. Benefits are also below what other leading technology companies offer.

Compensation and Benefits should be evaluated in order to retain and attract top talent.

Amazing company culture

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Good leadership, work-life balance, team spirit. Everyone I've met and worked with has been extremely nice and helpful. You'll meet people you want to be friends with outside of work.

Cons

The company is really well run so there aren't too many cons. Lacks certain benefits such as 401k matching but believe that will happen in the future as many benefits have been added since I started working there.

Have more conversations for career development

Can't Imagine a Better Place to Start My Career

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Management Actually Cares About the Welfare of Employees
    THE PEOPLE!!

Cons

Fast Growth means that not all programs are rounded out yet. Some basic learning experiences for the company can be tough to work through as the company continues to expand so rapidly.

Keep the Culture!!!

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart People
    High Growth Company
    Excellent Leadership
    Teamwork
    Great Perks

Cons

A few growing pains but to be expected with the type of growth Workday is experiencing

Keep doing what you are doing and maintain the culture.

Great product but don't be fooled - you are very unlikely to make any serious money at Workday

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product, innovative approach, happy customers

Cons

Far too many sales reps chasing not enough business. Not enough marketing or pre sales support means you are cannon fodder unless you get very lucky. Ask why proportion of reps have achieved quota or how many have won a deal before you join.

Stop hiring so many reps and give the ones you have more support. invest in proper marketing that supports sales effort and make it easier for customers to buy - all or nothing approach to subscriptions does achieve lock in but makes entry into new accounts very difficult.

Best company I've worked at

I have been working at Workday

Pros

This is a company that's growing insanely fast. With that there are growing pains, bureaucracy, etc. but this is all taken in stride. As things on the business side get more complicated, the human side is growing to help ease that - snacks/drinks, events, benefits are all growing as the company figures how to do something for 3k+ employees. Leadership is transparent about where we're heading and sets lofty goals, but the company works its butts off to try and get there. With that said, work life balance is respected (at least in the orgs I have experience with). It's an exciting time to be at the company.

Cons

No free meals... yet!
    Compensation is not at some peers, but they try to make up by providing stock/RSU and ESPP. Everyone is a shareholder at the company.

A Cult Cleverly Disguised as a Software Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The snack closet. Alas, that was as short lived as my "Career" at Workday.

Cons

There is palpable sense of falseness and fake frivolity that permeates the entire workday experience and work culture. Similarly, there is the same disingenuous tone to most of the positive reviews about workday, no doubt the product of some poor intern recruited by HR to game the review average with glowing accolades of the Workday Experience. Those young men hired right out of school (yes, Workday has the same extreme gender bias like the rest of Silicon Valley) and the interns seem to enjoy this culture of fakeness, perhaps because growing up they always got ribbons and trophies just for participating. Folks like myself, with 20+ years IT experience sense the falseness the moment we walk in the door and start coding.

I liken the Workday culture to a cult. Cults typically prey on the young and naive and always have very rich, super controlling charismatic leaders and fiercely loyal lieutenants. And like any good cult, Workday doesn’t want you to leave. I had 4 exit interviews prior to my departure. When I handed my letter of resignation to my boss, instead of taking it graciously and professionally, he instead handed it back to me and said “Oh, we can talk about that later”. My immediate sense of that was, well you didn’t value what I did while I worked for you, while should you value what I say when I quit!

As most of the negative (and in my opinion) decidedly accurate reviews indicate, Workday doesn’t pay that great. Their initial salary offer was a lateral increase in pay, justifying it with RSUs that vest over a 4 year period for as a yet unprofitable company. I held out for more salary (a 10% increase in salary), and much to my surprise they met my asking price. Unfortunately, it was all downhill after that.

Overall, I felt my time at Workday was frustrating, confusing myriad of half-truths and promises made but never fulfilled, expectations set without timelines, time wasted and on an almost endless cycle of code re-working with out proper guidance, planning or direction. Oh and I did I mention that much of this wasted time occurred on my weekends or during the evening, that time, when according to all the positive reviewers written by that Intern from HR, I am balancing my life with work.

The first sign that things were off to a bad start, was ironically my start date with Workday. I tried to push it back about 10 days (in order to get my semi-annual bonus from my previous employer), but the hiring manager was insistent and I stupidly agreed to it. A few months later, I was then hurried out equally quickly of the group I hired into and dumped into another group without prior consent.

I strongly felt I was never given a chance to succeed or any kind of feedback on the work I did do. After approximately 2 months I did a performance review of myself that I wrote myself and never received any kind of feedback on that as well! I offered a co-worker approximately 30 documents (in addition to my daily coding tasks) I had written while trying to acclimate into the group. I even gave this same set of document to my Manager, only to have it summarily ignored.

My genuine impression is that I was hired merely as a placeholder until the real candidate was available a few months later. The timing of my transfer to the other group I was put in left no question in my mind. This replacement candidate had previously worked with all the other members of my group (did some reviews say clique). The only other outsider within my group was accepted mostly because he seemed to fill the role of the team mascot and cheerleader. I was the true outsider in my group and for this, I was summarily banished because of it.

Meetings were another cult like ritual at Workday. The first group I worked in met 3-4 times a week, and the 2nd group I worked in met daily for a 15 minute scrum that always went on for over an hour. All told, I would spend 10-15 hours a week in meetings and these meetings would spread throughout the day. It was genuinely difficult to establish a solid work rhythm when you’re periodically interrupted to talk about the work you’re trying to get done.

A few months after I started at Workday, accrued vacation was rescinded. It was announced via an email, of course.

There are of course, many more negatives – many of which were expressed in other honest (negative) reviews, such as the chronic back-stabbing, the lying, the Workday HR department that wouldn’t know a hostile workplace environment if they themselves worked in one (and they do) and so forth.

I genuinely think it’s a good place for young people to work, especially those right out of college or interns. They can continue to earn their participation ribbons and trophies in the form of RSUs but for experienced IT folks (i.e. those of us who really know what we’re doing), I think it’s fake, it’s a facade, a cult trying way too hard to be(profitable) .Software Company.

Stop lying.