Workday

Updated 25 November 2014
4.3

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri

Pros
  • work-life balance is great, they give you reimbursements for fitness so they want you to go work out (in 9 reviews)

• Great product, well-managed at the higher levels, expanding, very positive and flexible work environment (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Benefits are the worst a Bay Area Tech company can ever offer (in 6 reviews)

• Can sometimes work really long hours to finish up a project before the deadline (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I would still be there but...

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I agree with a lot of what has been in many of the reviews here
    Great Culture
    Good Benefits
    Innovation is outstanding
    Decent Work-Life Balance depending upon your role

Cons

Hiring middle management from Oracle will kill Workday's great culture !
    Becoming very bureaucratic
    Compensation is very, very, very low

Evaluate middle management. Consider management training
    Evaluate Compensation a bit more critically. Stock options don't always pay the bills

Workday values its Customers, Employees and is a fine place to work

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a continuation of the culture developed and matured originally at PeopleSoft. We treat our Customers and Employees very very well and with respect.

Cons

Sales Reps do not earn as much as at other ERP and Software sales companies in general. But if you exceed your quota you can blow out your earnings.

Provide either a travel allowance, or an extra starting bonus or more incentive to last the first year or two before a really large deal can get fully baked.

Great people and culture, and interesting work

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

What sets Workday apart is the culture. They put a big emphasis on your personality, and it shows in the hiring process and your coworkers. I became good friends with several coworkers in just a few months. My manager did an awesome job and it was evident that he really cared about every member on the team. He would always check in to make sure that the workload wasn't overbearing and would ask for individual input. The work is fun and rewarding, and the technology is unique and innovative.

Cons

The company is growing at a rapid rate and new initiatives are constantly undertaken. As a result, sometimes the spec or design of a project could be clearer, so that employees do not waste time building something that will be scrapped because it didn't match the customer's/management's expectations.

Consider assigning senior engineers a lesser workload so they can act as mentors for younger engineers. I know some managers do this already and from what I've observed, it yields very positive results.

Well run company

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Workday is a fun company that means business! We know how to make getting it done satisfying for both employees and customers which means that we have a lot of happy employees and customers. Workday has a workforce that is diverse and well rounded, and I believe that this shows in its products!

Cons

Workday needs to invest in better chairs. We sit in those things for the majority of our waking hours, they need to be comfortable and ergonomic, and are worth an investment.

place an appropriate value on facilities rather than pinching pennies there.

Workday is the best company a person can work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working here for about 4 months now. I came straight out of college with a degree in business. Working for Workday as been the most incredible experience. They take so much time and money in training their employees. I'm challenged every day. My leadership gives me the tools to succeed. The people that I work with are hard working, funny, and just down right good people. I'm not over worked even though I'm salary, work about 40-45 hours a week. Also the industry is exploding so Workday is growing faster then any company I know. I turned down a huge salary to come here and I have to say it was so worth it. I'm so happy to come into work every day.

Cons

I can't think of anything honestly.

Keep making your employees feel appreciated and continue to challenge them on the individual level.

Innovative company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Cutting edge and innovative technology
    -Rapid growth as cloud ERP software takes over Oracle / SAP market share
    -Smart co-workers
    -Seasoned leaders

Cons

-Low pay for the Bay Area and especially for a company growing so rapidly.

-Need to pay more fairly for the contributions employees make to help Workday grow so quickly.

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Workday full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, informal, ambitious, friendly, just a great place to work. Loads of opportunities and really smart people.

Cons

Hours can be long (by choice to get things done) but there is a lot of flexibility if you want to work from home, start earlier/later etc.

Employee Friendly

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Workday is really focus to preserve its key values and keep working environment employee friendly. They provide great on boarding and new hire trainings.

Cons

Pay is average and benefits could be better.

Workday internship

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I worked at Workday as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture, they treat employees really great and the employees are all super nice.

Cons

Pleasanton is a boring town.

Put the interns to dorm in SF or the bay area.

Stay away if you are a smart technical person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA (US)

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

Good culture, fun activities (a huge thank to employee programs team), work-life balance, strong CEO/founders

Cons

the company runs on technology written in 2000 even though its still "new" for HCM business. Irrespective of that if you are a smart technical person there are tons of reason why you should NOT join here unless you want to work for a government like job

1. innovation is highly discouraged and you can not change anything in the architecture/code unless you are one of the very few who joined the company in the initial stages. You are highly encouraged to be part of status quo and do whatever they asked you to do in the way they asked you to do.

2. EVERY decision has to be stamped by the few architects. If they don't understand it or don't wanna do it however compelling it is or how much of data you have to prove it, you can not do it.

3. You will sometimes encounter situations where you come up with ideas and they get shot down or ignored. But later, in few weeks, when an old timer suggests the same thing, everybody applauds it and rush to do it.

4. Unless you are part of one of the core teams, you will be working on their proprietary language which is about "clicking on sh*t" as they say it. It will make you a slave of the system and you won't learn anything. In fact, your value and your thinking abilities will go down drastically over time. You won't be able to use that experience in the future for your next job.

5. A lot of leaders in groups are either unaware of or afraid of new technologies. They don't want to even experiment with those and prototype new concepts unless they are comfortable with it. Always think in terms of how its gonna make there work complicated.

In general, they have an old system even they are sick of keeping. But none of them want to rock the boat too much since its gonna affect their stocks at the end. The founders are wonderful to talk to and listen to and talks about the importance of innovation. But sadly innovation is really discouraged as long as the old timers are around. They have gotten comfortable with keeping a patched system and failing system than taking risks to improve things with new blood.

If you want to improve yourself in few years, not afraid of taking risk and do innovative things don't even think about joining here. But if you want to find a place to peacefully retire, come at 9am and leave at 5pm, this is an ideal place.

I attended the core values presentation and it talks about how important the innovation is. But sadly its not the case inside the engineering organization. Innovation is highly discouraged and gets shot down immediately if its not coming from an old timer. Also, every thing has to be stamped by an architect and those guys are not ready to take risks, research on new architectures/concepts. The company growth in terms of technology is limited by those few people. If the things needs to be improved, then there should be an environment for the newcomers to take risks prove concepts and move those into production. For now, everything is blocked.

Even as an HCM company HR seems to be broken internally. They schedule unrelated interviews for certain candidates with no coordination. Employee referrals are ignored. Some candidates are left in the dark during the recruitment process.