World Travel Holdings

Updated 29 May 2014

3.2

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Working from home is nice, there is a good support structure even though you work from home (in 17 reviews)

• But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Throw them on the phones for the busy season during the first part of the year and when it slows down they are glad to see you go (in 4 reviews)

• There's so much this company need to improve on for their call center (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Keep looking! There are reasons why the turnover is so high.

Former Employee - Sales Pro  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Pro in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

You can be promoted if you can endure the schedule, team leads, dubious ads and still act like you are the happiest person in the world.

Cons

Advertising usually is targeted at those people who want the absolute cheapest cruise, while management creates pressure to maintain the highest results. What suffers is usually the sales peoples earnings. Much of your earnings would be from selling travel insurance and someone who is looking for a $99 three night bargain is not interested in increasing their costs.

The software program that drives their system is a patched up, decades old relic that should be retired. It will cause you to waste hours of time talking to their tech people to try to get cruises booked, which is time when you would be earning $0. It can be very frustrating, especially when you are trying to end your shift and you end up staying over on your time to try to get things done.

Their phone system is designed to sort out the incoming calls. People who want longer cruises or international cruises will go to those employees who typically been there the longest and have the best closing rates and insurance sales. It is very hard to generate the necessary level of results that produce the better incoming calls when the phone system channels people looking for a cheap 3 day cruise bargain to your phone. Even if you get to the top levels of performance it is still possible that management will flood the market with a massive amount of emails that are designed to get that super cheap shopper to call in and flood the phone lines which then goes to everyone and will drive everyone's performance down.

Entry level shoppers can take just as long as a high end cruise shopper and many entry level cruises will pay less than $10 in commission and can actually cost you dollars if it drops you insurance sales to a lower commission percentage. I once worked a 9 hour Saturday, sold $6600 worth of cruises and ended up earning less for the week than when I started working that morning. This was because management did an email blast featuring super cheap cruises. I sold just enough cruises to those buyers that dropped my insurance percentage down and I lost more than I gained. However management made out great. They got me work a Saturday evening, gained $6600 in cruise sales and I still sold some insurance and then they paid me less than zero for the day. Not a bad deal for them and I doubt if that policy will ever change.

It is a real shame that this company does business this way. I was hired in a group of about 33 sales people, (I believe that over 120 total where hired that fall). Of the 33 I would say that over 30 of them had been experienced middle aged professionals who came to WTH with sales experience and the expectation that they would succeed because they had in the past, me included. When I left 9 months later, there were 7 from that group left and to my knowledge only one was let go. The others decided that a “work from home career in the travel industry” just wasn’t worth it. If you decide to work at World Travel Holdings there is a very high probability that you will not stay. Management really doesn’t care. There company has evolved with a business model where they hire and train a lot of people in the fall. Throw them on the phones for the busy season during the first part of the year and when it slows down they are glad to see you go. In the meantime most new hires will be taking all the calls and work all the worst schedules that the handfuls of their top producers just don’t want. It works for WTH but didn’t for me.

Hire some true professional sales and business managers from outside of the industry. Also it wouldn't hurt to try to improve your employee turnover rate. But that would take some new thinking and a lot of work to change the well engrained business model that you currently have. On second thought, just brainwash your managers that having an artificially sticky sweet personality is what sales management is all about.

yes i can attitude.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Chili, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chili, WI (US)

Pros

best service provided good guest communication and handling chutes.

Cons

to be on time according the guest .

more provided job opportunity.

Villa Division

Pros

This is a great division of the company with on going presence in the marketplace to help consumers book the perfect villa. Opportunity is there to grow with the right people in place, which they need more of.

Cons

Leadership is shaky. You are told to provide feedback and give your opinion on how things should work. You do so and the opposite happens. Decent product line, but I think the product is duplicated quite often and there is way too much on the site and very hard to keep up the constant changes within the villa market. The relationship with the suppliers needs to be stronger and viable. Not enough people in product to keep up with the trends, changes and ever growing villa market. Managers need more training on how to speak to staff and suppliers.

Build up the sales team and fast! Look at expanding support for product. There is great talent within WTH. The current management in place is so-so.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Pros

The opportunity to earn sales commission. The other employees and free cruise giveaways!

Cons

The hours were not very appeasing.

Use more positive reinforcement to encourage employees to perform better.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Pros

Very supportive environment and wonderful people to work with. Great perks!!

Cons

Only 2 weeks of PTO per year which makes it difficult to take advantage of some of the travel perks.

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing a great job! Consider increasing PTO as you are a bit below what other work at home companies offer.

It's an ok place to work

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Pros

work at home. computer provided. paid training.

Cons

strict guidelines. not much support from management.

WTH is an ok place to work. It does offer great pay for an at-home job, though. They are very strict on their policies. You do something wrong, you're fired without much time or help to correct what you were doing wrong. Also, schedules change a regular basis and they do not care what's going on in your life. They will schedule you whenever they feel like it. They make you fill out an availability form, but they don't usually stick to that. You have a 2nd job, oh well. You're in college, oh well. It is an ok place to work at, like I said, however don't screw up because they are very unforgiving.

My advice to upper management is to be more forgiving on the first offense for something. We are human beings and sometimes life stuff happens.

Company's expectations are considerably high and pay is low.

Current Employee - Travel Pro  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Travel Pro in Orlando, FL (US)

Pros

For the person who wants to work from home and has a spouse with a 'real' income, this job is a good option. It will pay between $30k to $35k annually.

Cons

There is excessively high turnover of travel pros. It appears this is the planned way of managing the seasonal needs of the company.

A large part of pay comes from travelers insurance sales. However, if you have less than a 33% ins. take rate on your sales, you get zero incentive on your sales. The commission from your sales is distributed among agents with the higher insurance sales rates.

Customer Care Representative

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL (US)

Pros

Travel Benefits, they will train you, meet awesome people. They value volunteering, they support Make A Wish, good medical/dental benefits, can work from home.

Cons

Management gets bright ideas that don't work but is too prideful to admit they made a mistake.

See above.

Not as good as they make themselves look

Pros

If you have young children working from home helps save money on daycare and such

Cons

Where to start? When your applying for employment it seems this company is a great place to work. Once you get out of training you realize it isn't as great as they made it seem. you get 3 weeks of training and that does not teach the new employees all they need so we do a lot of clean up work for them. Because they offer benefits you get excited because now your going to receive medical, dental and vision. Well when you start to use your benefits you realize you are paying $300 for benefits that you must meet a $2000.00 deductible before the insurance will pay. So you spend a lot of out of pocket expenses that could or would be avoided if they had real benefits. They train you for one position (again they under train) and when they start to add new features like hotel, flights car rentals and shore excursions, they gave you 1 or 2 hours of training online. What is that suppose to do for us? Not everyone can learn 2 new programs in just 2 hours plus you don't want to give us more money to do more work!!! You hired us to do cruises I understand you want to make more money so why not either hire new employees for your new business purposes or train us better and pay us for the work. More money is coming into the business yet the people in the front lines aren't getting raises while corporate is sitting back enjoying the money.

If you would like to go part-time you have to tell them why you need to do it, if you need a day off they want to know why. Why should I tell you? I have my PTO hours so let me use them. Why should we have to tell you about our personal/private lives?

Do you know how many new hires quit before they even make it to 6 months? They start with a training class of 25 and by the time 6 months arrive they have 10 or less left from that same training class.

A lot of employees don't like working there however with the economy the way it is we are blessed to have a employment. I bet if we could we would all leave and all the experienced and I mean experienced employees would of left years ago yet we stay cause we have bills and families to take care of while WTH is screwing us over

If you read this and still don't know how to fix it than you need better management. The CEO's need to take a look at this. I believe if we could take anonymous surveys regrinding how we feel about the company Brad and Jeff would be shocked. I bet your turnover rates are not good

A good choice for the right individual.

Former Employee - Travel Pro  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Travel Pro in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

Pros

They do what they say and deliver what they promise and are very clear on expectations if people pay attention. WTH has the potential to be a great place to work. What could be better than work at home in the travel industry? As one would expect with remote locations, they have a lot of tech issues. Their tech department is top notch and can get you back up and running in no time.

Cons

I was hired at least two month before the start date. I asked if there is anything that I can do to prepare and was told no. I was new to the travel industry and was eager to learn. So much could have been reviewed, and I would have, if focused and given guidance. Training is a 3 month college course crammed into a few weeks. I gladly did a lot of work outside of the paid hours but it was not enough. I felt the trainers quickly wrote off individuals they felt would not make the cut. I got a feeling that all the smiles and encouragement were not genuine, but they are in the sales industry so you cannot hold that against them.

Your hiring and training process cannot be inexpensive. You system must work or you would not conduct business in that manner. Were it my company, I would concentrate on screening potential and fully developing that talent. The position offered really can be a long term, rewarding career choice. That was my plan. All I needed and asked for but did not receive was more phone guidance when I went live. But that goes back to my earlier comment, “I felt the trainers quickly wrote off individuals they felt would not make the cut.”

Worked for World Travel Holdings? Contribute to the Community!