World Travel Holdings

Updated 28 September 2014
Updated 28 September 2014

World Travel Holdings Co-Chairman and Co-CEO Brad Tolkin
Brad Tolkin

Pros
  • Working from home is nice, there is a good support structure even though you work from home (in 18 reviews)

• But seriously, the best reason to work here is perhaps the people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Throw them on the phones for the busy season during the first part of the year and when it slows down they are glad to see you go (in 4 reviews)

• There's so much this company need to improve on for their call center (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Care Representative

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel Benefits, they will train you, meet awesome people. They value volunteering, they support Make A Wish, good medical/dental benefits, can work from home.

Cons

Management gets bright ideas that don't work but is too prideful to admit they made a mistake.

See above.

Not as good as they make themselves look

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you have young children working from home helps save money on daycare and such

Cons

Where to start? When your applying for employment it seems this company is a great place to work. Once you get out of training you realize it isn't as great as they made it seem. you get 3 weeks of training and that does not teach the new employees all they need so we do a lot of clean up work for them. Because they offer benefits you get excited because now your going to receive medical, dental and vision. Well when you start to use your benefits you realize you are paying $300 for benefits that you must meet a $2000.00 deductible before the insurance will pay. So you spend a lot of out of pocket expenses that could or would be avoided if they had real benefits. They train you for one position (again they under train) and when they start to add new features like hotel, flights car rentals and shore excursions, they gave you 1 or 2 hours of training online. What is that suppose to do for us? Not everyone can learn 2 new programs in just 2 hours plus you don't want to give us more money to do more work!!! You hired us to do cruises I understand you want to make more money so why not either hire new employees for your new business purposes or train us better and pay us for the work. More money is coming into the business yet the people in the front lines aren't getting raises while corporate is sitting back enjoying the money.

If you would like to go part-time you have to tell them why you need to do it, if you need a day off they want to know why. Why should I tell you? I have my PTO hours so let me use them. Why should we have to tell you about our personal/private lives?

Do you know how many new hires quit before they even make it to 6 months? They start with a training class of 25 and by the time 6 months arrive they have 10 or less left from that same training class.

A lot of employees don't like working there however with the economy the way it is we are blessed to have a employment. I bet if we could we would all leave and all the experienced and I mean experienced employees would of left years ago yet we stay cause we have bills and families to take care of while WTH is screwing us over

If you read this and still don't know how to fix it than you need better management. The CEO's need to take a look at this. I believe if we could take anonymous surveys regrinding how we feel about the company Brad and Jeff would be shocked. I bet your turnover rates are not good

A good choice for the right individual.

Former Employee - Travel Pro  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Travel Pro in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

They do what they say and deliver what they promise and are very clear on expectations if people pay attention. WTH has the potential to be a great place to work. What could be better than work at home in the travel industry? As one would expect with remote locations, they have a lot of tech issues. Their tech department is top notch and can get you back up and running in no time.

Cons

I was hired at least two month before the start date. I asked if there is anything that I can do to prepare and was told no. I was new to the travel industry and was eager to learn. So much could have been reviewed, and I would have, if focused and given guidance. Training is a 3 month college course crammed into a few weeks. I gladly did a lot of work outside of the paid hours but it was not enough. I felt the trainers quickly wrote off individuals they felt would not make the cut. I got a feeling that all the smiles and encouragement were not genuine, but they are in the sales industry so you cannot hold that against them.

Your hiring and training process cannot be inexpensive. You system must work or you would not conduct business in that manner. Were it my company, I would concentrate on screening potential and fully developing that talent. The position offered really can be a long term, rewarding career choice. That was my plan. All I needed and asked for but did not receive was more phone guidance when I went live. But that goes back to my earlier comment, “I felt the trainers quickly wrote off individuals they felt would not make the cut.”

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Travel company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great to work with. I was allowed the freedom to do my work without a supervisor constantly watching me.

Cons

I think the outlook of the travel industry is slowly declining. The pay was alright. I enjoyed my job but I wish there was a little more upward mobility.

I believe that the senior management cares and trying their best.

Not a Truly Remarkable Experience

Former Employee - Group Account Executive  in  Wilmington, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Group Account Executive in Wilmington, MA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, co workers are great, great travel benefits, take advantage of latest tech so agents can work from home and usually works 80% of the time, great tech department.

Cons

Customer / Agent complaints never addressed, upper management has no idea what manager of department is doing, current manager has degree in marketing but has never booked actual travel as an agent and has no idea of actual process, not sure why this person even has this position, manager implements processes that are useless, time consuming and does not enhance agent or client experience. Uses 3rd party company to host group registration websites to collect guest information , credit card info and billing info thus leaving guests open to huge security issues if anything were to ever happen with 3rd party companies site.

Hire a manager that actually nows about booking travel as an agent, your group department should be as automated as your individual in house reservation system is, you would have more productivity, much higher overall agent moral and be much more efficient

What an Immoral, Sneaky, Self-serving company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Altamonte Springs, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Altamonte Springs, FL (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

The call center tends to be high- energy and cheerful. The pay and benefits are competitive

Cons

I have never in my life seen a company where management constantly smiles and presents a facade of caring, but will dismiss you in a heartbeat if the new hire class behind you seems to be able to sell more cruises than you. I was part of a group who were told we were doing well and then the next week fired for "performance issues". We were performing like we were supposed
    to, but the management hired a class that did "better" and they fired a lot of us right before . Christmas. They hire you as customer service reps but then when you get on the floor they base
    their firing decision strictly on your sales and whether you are quickly taken in by one of the number of cliques in operation in the call center. The problem is your direct supervisor is not
    aware of upper managements needs so you can literally meet with your supervisor one day, be told you are doing well and then fired the next day because upper management has changed the performance requirements and not bothered to tell you or your supervisor. I never knew they operated like this, but in hindsight I did notice that they were constantly hiring new classes, and people already on the floor would disappear. It is one thing to fire people because they do not meet your goals, but quite another to fire people because they meet your goals, but you think the newly hired group will do better. Oh yeah, their policy states however you will always know where you stand based on their coaching. They over hire , state a goal to reach, but it does not matter if you reach the goal, if the batch of hires behind you happen to be better sales reps.

Advertise for sales reps, not customer service reps, and try being honest and upfront with canidates.

Hire & Fire

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

This seems like a great opportunity to work from home.

Cons

Every year they hire a lot of Virtual Travel Agents before the busy cruise selling season (November) & fire 99% of them after the cruise selling season is over in (March). You will never make anything above minimum wage--the commissions are completely unreachable & deceptive. I thought they seemed legit because they offered 6 weeks of training but this is not the case. In addition, you will miss most of the training because of constant computer issues while in training and after--another reason commissions are completely unreachable.

Get a Conscious!

Prepare yourself!

Former Employee - Travel Professional  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Travel Professional in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at World Travel Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

You don't have to fight traffic to get to work. paid traing.

Cons

You have to provide a phone line for their use only. So much for saving gas on commuting to work, you will be paying the phone bill. Though they won't tell you to do it, it is expected that you will "learn" how to do this job on your own time. Thanks to modern technology you have access to learning tools 24/7. They show you quickly how to book cruises etc., but after they show you once you will have to refer to the videos that are available 24/7 to actually learn how to do it. Be prepared to ignore everything else in your life during training. They pass out extra work without any time to do it during work hours except for 10 minute down times while they are preparing the next topic of discussion. The first two weeks you must put lots more time than your 8 hours. I asked out of a class last year how many are left? My answer was "5 left out of 33". from what I was told by a service technician, they have 3 to 4 classes per year with an average of 27 in each class. Now I know why. the training is more like a 3 month college course squeezed into 6 weeks thanks to modern technology. You can do this job but be prepared to give it much more than the eight hours they want to pay you for.

Stop spending so much time teaching your new employees how to be salesman. We all were hired because of our expierience dealing with customers/clients. Allow your new hires to navigate your system and practice during training hours, not after hours.

Good Company Continually changes with the times

Current Employee - Sales  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Ability to forcast well the future of travel/ adjusts to the times

Cons

constant fluctuations of hours required for job. Always asking for shorter lunches or early outs

Keep more in touch with employees/ good job overall but some "upper management" staff do not excel in employee connections

Great Work at Home Career

Current Employee - Travel Consultant  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at World Travel Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is mostly comprised of virtual sales agents and working at home is a great perk. They provide all the equipment and the training is comprehensive and on going

Cons

The virtual environment can leave you feeling detached. The industry is seasonal and the pay is 100% commission so the slower seasons can be pretty brutal and if anything happens in the cruise industry to slow sales (Like a ship capsizing 1/2012) then the netire busy season can disappear making it an incredibly slow year.

Restructure the commission program to account for the slower seasons. Restructure the way consultants are promoted to expert and senior expert and revise the way that CCR reps are able to take a sale away from a travel pro.

World Travel Holdings Photos

Worked for World Travel Holdings? Contribute to the Community!