XATA
www.xata.com Eden Prairie, MN 150 to 499 Employees

XATA Reviews

XATA Chairman and CEO Jay Coughlan

Jay Coughlan

Roller coaster in the dark without seat belts

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Oakville, ON (Canada)

I have been working at XATA

ProsCool technology, most of technical people are very competent; non technical people are very nice too, as long as they aren't managers.

ConsLack of direction, lack of clear communication between management and lower level employees. Managers don't seem to know what they're doing. You can feel a strong sense of distrust between the new "architects" and the solutions development teams. Apparently, it doesn't matter how good you are, the new architect will tell you what to do and how to do it. Micromanagement everywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery difficult. Most of old "managers" were fired. The new CTO should open his mind and leave all the prejudices aside; please, try to understand the business and the technology behind before proposing new solutions.

Poor Senior Management, Back-Stabbing, 3 CTOs in 5 Years, Highly Political and Toxic Environment

Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I have been working at XATA

ProsGood technology, decent co-workers, Salary is ok but could be better

ConsToxic work environment, 3 Chief Technology Officers hired in last 5 years, no work life balance, no appreciation from management, good people are leaving or are removed because of highly political environment, no raise or bonus given to managers and below in 2009 but Directors and above received bonuses, there is no trust, Managers/Directors asked not to say complete truth in Leadership meeting, senior management offer more money to people when they leave,.....too many VPs

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is time to start "inspecting" what your direct reports tells you......don't blindly trust them and make or support their decisions.......... have conversation with real people below who is doing all the work. Offer more money to employees (not many left anyway now) who have been with company for many years instead of offering more money to new people who are leaving, Hire actual people to do the wok instead of VPs

Poor experience. Unpleasant place to work, very little feedback, back-stabbing and dishonesty among departments.

n/a (Former Employee)

I worked at XATA

ProsPeers are generally pretty good below the manager level. Pay and benefits were pretty decent for the industry - nothing great, but on par. Some long-term employees with lots of knowledge of the industry.d Good place to learn the industry - Xata is still considered a leader in the field.

ConsHorrible communication from management Director level and above. Mid-level managers were pretty good. Highly political, very little accountability. Senior management not respected at all. Most of the good people have left, the only ones that remain must have some sort of compensation package waiting for them if they stay on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake responsibility for your own issues - don't dump on your employees. Support your employees and it will result it a better experience and product for your customers. I believe Jay Coughlan is doing the best he can, but I believe he was mis-led by his direct reports (VP's) for a long time and now there may not be a good way out of a bad situation.

The only reason to stay is the people you get to work with...

Technical Support Representative (Turned Into Customer Support) (Former Employee)
Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I worked at XATA

ProsGreat coworkers. Benefits are okay...better than others. At one point management enjoyed making the department a more fun and lively place.

ConsHorrible management. Attempts to weasel out of paying employees what they're entitled. Bad communication practices between management and their lower level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees are productive employees. If you treat your employees like garbage you're going to get minimal effort in getting work done. If so many people are actively looking for employment elsewhere then there's obviously an issue...

Not satisfied.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at XATA

ProsOpportunities to work on different projects/products. Friendly helpful coworkers.

ConsLack of work life balance. 80 % people are always looking for job. Good work are not often recognized. Lack of good quality management.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more flexibility to people. Try to appreciate the hardwork people put in and I am not talking about middle managers.

Fast pace company.

I have been working at XATA

ProsGood place to learn a lot of cool technologies.

ConsAlways in crisis mode. Unsecure. Poor process/quality management

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on process/quality. Work/life balance

Worked for XATA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at XATA reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for XATA CEO Jay Coughlan. All 6 reviews are posted anonymously by XATA employees.