Xyratex

www.xyratex.com

Xyratex Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Pros
  • Great people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization(in 9 reviews)

• It was close to home, but that has changed with all the reorganizations(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management are dreadful and completely out of touch with their employees(in 7 reviews)

• Incompetent upper management that cover up their mistakes by blaming underlings(in 6 reviews)

A Highly Political and Unpleasant Place to Work

ProsGood honest workers generally don't have the skills or disposition for functioning in a highly political environment like Xyratex. Xyratex is a highly political and an unpleasant place to work, making it more difficult to recruit good talent to compete effectively. The company usually buys the talent or expertise it doesn't have inside from the outside; keeps them around long enough to allow knowledge transfer to those who need it; and then throws them out during frequent lay-off cycles. Lots of people who have worked at Xyratex feel discriminated against, abused or unappreciated and often resort following harmful options: Defecting to competition; resorting to sabotaging the company, e.g., by sharing confidential information with competitors or the analysts; becoming emotionally distant and with no interest in the success of the company; and displaying passive-aggressive behaviors, becoming uncooperative, working less or producing substandard results . Key talent frequently quit or are fired from the company

ConsA low performing dysfunctional company where most senior management are driven by their own personal agendas.

Too many recruitments, selections and promotions are based on internal political agenda, for example, hiring mediocre friends to guarantee personal loyalty at the expense of other highly performing and more-qualified employees or promoting people to have them work as internal spies and saboteurs.

Compensation is politically driven: Stock options, bonuses and perks are not fairly linked to performance.

A lot of sleazy creeps work there. Argumentative and heated cross-divisions meetings with discussion and language focusing on point scoring and buck-passing rather than sharing responsibility and collaborating to solve the problem is the norm as is “every person for himself”.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook in the mirror. You have met the enemy, and he is you. You have lost the respect of your customers and competitors and former employees.

A retirement company

Engineer (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsRelax laid back work with a huge pay. Beautiful location to work at. Good benefits.

ConsCan be kicked out at any time without notice. And a lack of proper methodology to tackle production

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a proper methodology as compared to prototyping

Xyratex's new Canadian office is a great place to be

ProsDowntown location
    Nice open concept office with lots of windows!
    Amazing team
    Exciting projects with innovation and creativity
    Agile environment
    Working on some really cool code that will be utilized across the company
    Helping to drive company direction

ConsParking is a bit far

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good career progression opportunities

ProsGreat colleagues.
    Good direct management.
    Investing in new technology at last.

ConsA dull working environment, could do with an injection of excitement.
    Long hours / heavy workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Principal Software Engineer

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting, cutting edge enterprise software and hardware.

ConsAfter several public misses, things are rather stressful.

An experience of a life time

Senior Accounts Manager (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent supervisor with super positive & understanding attitude.
    Supervisor is very supportive & a very experience coach.

ConsCompany's direction & goal is not communicated & exercise at all levels.
    Overall operations management still has a lot of room for improvement.

I enjoyed working at Xyratex, I was part of a great team and have had the chance to grow and develop professionally.

(Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay, good work life balance, great benefits, great people, interesting product, global, solid training, opportunity for growth and development.

ConsSometimes it seems the company is a little resistant to change, they want to keep things as they are. Makes it hard to get to the next level or make things happen.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up to change, you have a lot of smart people working for the company with great ideas and experience that want to make a difference.

blind leading the weak

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsOne of the remaining manufacturing companies in Sacramento. Strong dedicated site boss looking after us. Company financial ok, make money for now. Good location, easy commute. Getting paid on time. Stupid boss let me do anything. Lots overtime is good.

ConsA good old boys network. If you are an English white male, you have a bright future. Anybody else sit and wait. Evidence? Look no further than recent high level promotions in UK and Asia, young English white males. Blame my parents for wrong skin color.

UK is king and cannot do wrong. Local is junk and cannot do right.

Advice to Senior ManagementBig layoff is near. You take care either the right people, or they will vote with their foot. I can not count on CEO. I better search for new job now.

Could be so much better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fremont, CA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with, very talented in the mid-level of the organization.

Benefits are good compared to some places I have worked in the recent past.

ConsThe product road map is non-existent but we continue to move forward in spite of it (usually in crisis mode).

There are many processes in place but they are rarely utilized which adds to the chaos.

There are also missing processes that cause everyone to do critical items differently also adding to the chaos and a sense that we never do the same thing the same way 2 times in a row.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control of the organization and the processes (define who does what to/with whom).

Set a product road map and communicate it to the masses.

Awful Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) West Sacramento, CA (US)

Prosnothing positive about working for this company. Ok, it was good pay, but not worth it because of all the Cons. I couldn't get out fast enough.

ConsI worked in the W. Sac office. Everyone was running scared, poor management, the worst I've ever experienced professionally. Overworked employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the VP/Senior management, dead wood.

Worked for Xyratex? Contribute to the Community!