YMCA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.5 1,258 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership(in 145 reviews)

• fun working with kids, got along well with my coworkers, pretty simple(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected(in 58 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions(in 51 reviews)

1,258 Employee Reviews

Life changing experiences!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsYou get to make a difference in youths lives, no matter what there background is. You get to meet people from around the world. Flexible hours, easy to take time off if needed. Great support from upper management.

ConsPromotions don't come as often as they should. Higher up staff can play favorites. High amount of work for low compensation.

Fantastic work environment, colleagues and varied duties. Never boring!

Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsExperience will depend on branch environment and leadership. The branch that I have worked at is fantastic. Great commararderie, lots of opportunity to grow and contribute to the Y mission. Dedication to promoting wellness in spirit, mind and body is promoted not only for members, but staff as well. You can start at entry level and work your way up to director. However, because this is a large organization spread across the world and branches are awarded funding based on how much money they can raise from the community the decision making varies from branch to branch and year to year.

ConsDon't expect a big salary. This is a cause driven organization and not-for-profit.

Great positive environment at the Y

Childcare (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat company to work for. Has good work culture and is extremely friendly. Made an impact on the youth community of where I grew up. Great position for part-time job. Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday. Great company overall

ConsCompany had limited career growth and opportunities. Might be frustrating to working with difficult children. Minimum wage for the facilitators.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management and good working culture and philosophy. Keep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity for internal growth

ConsPay is not the greatest since it is a non profit

Wonderful company to work for, full of passionate people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPassionate people, good communication between employees and supervisors. I felt like I was valued as an employee and there was always an open door policy with all of the directors and supervisors.

ConsI worked in the summer camp which can get hectic because sometimes there are too many kids and not enough counselors, do to people being out sick or on field trips, etc.

Rewarding and building

Aquatics Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsOffered a lot of personal growth and development. Overall culture was great with lots of emphasis on team building and challenging eachother

ConsWages are not stellar but reasonable for a non-profit. Opportunity for wage increase with frequent reviews and good performance

Working as a lifeguard inside with generic ymca patrons

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) Clemmons, NC (US)

Prosfree gym membership, short shifts

Conspoor air quality, unhappy water fitness women, short shifts

Great place to work, but not much pay!

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsLifeguarding and interacting with the people is great, the hours are flexible, and I had good fellow employees. The YMCA supports a positive work environment and community outreach, which is great.

ConsThey pay isn't very good, but it's a fun job while in college.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow swim instructors to make more money from the lessons rather than keeping much of the profits for the YMCA.

Great Cause

ProsFriendly staff, laid back environment, set schedules allowing for consistency and ease of scheduling things around work. Fun and interesting atmosphere are a plus as well.

ConsSometimes organization is a little too laid back and things either don't get communicated, or they don't get communicated effectively. Disorganization can also lead to the need to have to "wing" certain activities which can be frustrating to both the employees and the members. The pay is low and you don't really receive any raises, so incentive to remain there long term is minimal if you're needing a higher income, but the missions and values of the company are admirable.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how decisions impact the staff as well as the members. It can sometimes feel as though management is only working to favor the members and not focusing on caring for the staff. Actions speak louder than words, and when you say you appreciate the staff and go on about how valuable we are, it doesn't seem very genuine when it isn't backed up back any action.

Great people and environment

YMCA Lifeguard (Current Employee) North Attleboro, MA (US)

ProsEveryone was there for a good reason

ConsThere were not too many cons

Advice to Senior ManagementWe were not paid as much as other lifeguards

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!