YMCA

Updated Aug 01, 2014

3.5 1,279 reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll

Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights
1,279 Employee Reviews

This branch of the YMCA was my first job, familiarized me with working schedules and what it is like to educate youth.

YMCA Youth Counselor (Former Employee) Long Beach, CA (US)

ProsI enjoyed working at the youth institute because it challenged me socially. I have always been a part of the YMCA, therefore having the chance to work there really allowed me to experience how I as program staff am looked up to by the program students. This is a summer job and therefore seasonal But the experience was great. Upon interviewing you, you must watch a series of videos about working with children online and complete a follow up questionnaire which takes a while but is pretty straight forward. after that you. they then ask you situational questions on how to handle conflicts with the students or their parents. You are required to take a drug test at your choice of location promptly after, and then you go through a series of training.

What is different about this branch is that you are working specifically with high-school aged students in a media arts environment. no matter which site they place you at, you are required as staff to attend a week long wilderness retreat where you run individual camps with a team of staff as well as bond with the group of student you will be working with. It is a good idea to have some knowledge in experience with media programs such as photoshop, music, or video editing programs on apple software but lack of that knowledge won't hinder you. The students are there to learn about what it feels like to have a job and also create individual short films. Working here is worth it if you like kids because you are sure to bond with some of them and they will look up to you for advice.

This job is great for networking as their are opportunities to build relationships with large partners and supporters of the YMCA. It is also worth your time because you get a lot from building relationships with your co-workers.

ConsThis job pays minimum wage and requires you to take up a lot of responsibility. You are looking at a lot of hours during the wilderness retreat and are responsible or the safety of the students. Friendliness and familiarity may give you oerks with the managers

Great people and environment

YMCA Lifeguard (Current Employee) North Attleboro, MA (US)

ProsEveryone was there for a good reason

ConsThere were not too many cons

Advice to Senior ManagementWe were not paid as much as other lifeguards

Wellness Coach

Wellness Coach (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsGreat opportunity to meet new people and really help those trying to get healthier.

ConsThe pay could be better

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working environment. Pay can be low depending on your position.

Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsLarge organization so there is room for growth.

ConsLow pay, (for part-time positions at least) but relaxed working environment with room for growth.

Great community

Customer Service (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsNIce coworks, friendly and positive environment.

ConsWhen it gets busy, it was often understaffed so pubilic maynot enjoy our 100% services.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexible schedual will work better for public.

Great place does a lot for the community with what they're given to work with.

Swimming Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to teach and encourage people how to make positive differences in their lives. Very flexible hours and the opportunity to get on-the-job certification and training. Opportunity to be active on the job. Great for students in high school or college. Great opportunity to learn teamwork and work dynamics.

ConsDepending on your area of interest, income for most workers isn't the highest, but there are opportunities if you're willing to learn and advance. It's a great job for students, very flexible.

Fun place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI love working here and made life long friendship with co workers. There was room to grow and hard work appreciated

ConsLow pay. There were a lot of slackers who did not do their share of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to who works for you and how hard they work. Keep it fun :)

Positive, consistent work

Lifeguard (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThe YMCA has secure work and is small enough for the staff and members to know each other

ConsAt the YMCA it is usually hard to find enough hours and the pay isn't the same for people with equal qualifications/ experience

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent pay

I love what the YMCA represents within it's communities!

Member Service Representative (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA (US)

ProsI love the people I get to serve working here. My members are the only reason I still come into my job! It makes it mostly worth it and I feel satisfied with what I do here. They Y overall is a great company to work for!

ConsThe management is poor and the pay is terrible. This seems to just be my branch though.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. :/

Child care provider

Childcare (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsCompany values work life balance it's like a family

ConsPay personal growth if you come in at the bottom it is hard to move up fast

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!