YMCA Reviews

3.7
1,321 Reviews

YMCA President and CEO Neil Nicoll
Neil Nicoll

Pros
  • One of the best perks of working at the YMCA was the fact that employees are entitled to a free gym membership (in 150 reviews)

• Always enjoyed working around fellow facilitators and working with kids everyday (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is not very competitive but it is non profit so this is to be expected (in 62 reviews)

• There is no growth potential you will only go so far with only part time positions (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Fitness Specialist  in  Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Fitness Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at YMCA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun people to work with and a fun atmosphere.

Cons

not the greatest paying jobs. Hard to get full time hours. Limited to 25 hours a week.

I enjoyed my time there

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher  in  Papillion, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in Papillion, NE (US)

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible, supportive, and a good learning experience

Cons

Pay was not great but these were entry level part time positions.

Awesome community oriented work environment

Current Employee - Lifeguard and Swim Instructor  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Lifeguard and Swim Instructor in Berkeley, CA (US)

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family oriented. Healthy. Employees are entitled to free gym membership. Staff from all departments are genuinely interested in getting to know one another.

Cons

The only downside to working at the Downtown Berkeley YMCA is that parking is difficult given my local Y is so centrally located.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aquatics Director

Former Employee - Aquatics Director  in  Quakertown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Aquatics Director in Quakertown, PA (US)

I worked at YMCA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Home/Work Balance. Caring enviroment. Supervisors listen to you.

Cons

Low Pay. Corporate Offices don't listen to the little people.

I have been working at YMCA

Pros

Working at the Ymca you learn about one-self. You learn that you can make a difference if you believe you can.

Cons

Somewhat unorganized at times. Should focus more time on emphasizing how important being organized really is.

Great place, great people , no money

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at YMCA

Pros

The staff are great and the work is a worthy cause. Personally feel good about your contribution and the company cares about it's employees

Cons

The staff are great and the work is a worthy cause but state funded non profit child welfare is not a well paying career

Fun work with lots of kids, but co-workers and management were not professional

Former Employee - YMCA Summer Camp Counselor
    Former Employee - YMCA Summer Camp Counselor

I worked at YMCA full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Y gives you a great opportunity to work with kids and gain experience with kids. It's a lot of fun and it is a meaningful experience to be able to help encourage and teach the young ones. The summer programs let you go back to your childhood and have a reason to enjoy the zoo, swim parks, and even swimming in the Y every week. You can have the freedom to create your own learning experiences and projects or games for the kids as long as your team is OK with what you propose. Almost guaranteed a job if you're male and can demonstrate you can work with kids and have safety in mind. Y's are always desperate for male councilors.

Cons

I did not have sufficient training and had to learn on the fly. Can be very stressful when you're not sure what's within your bounds to administer regarding punishment and dealing with kids who misbehave (start physical fights, etc.). Low pay and fake breaks - I was always with the kids and never had any breaks completely away from work during the 9 hour shifts. No incentive for parents to pick up their kids on time at the end of the day, requiring you to stay longer. You can get sick pretty easily from being around lots of kids, and it's tough to organize kids with a sore throat. My management did the bare minimum in upkeep and providing services, and my co-workers were pretty unprofessional and a bit immature, meaning more of the work fell to me to keep the kids engaged and organized.

Don't just hire everyone who walks in the door with an application, pay attention to character - these are the people who will be keeping other peoples children safe; the people those kids are going to potentially look up to. Support your employees when it comes to parents who are habitually late.

Excellent upbeat environment to work at but limited opportunities for any advancements anywhere

Current Employee - Child Care Assistant  in  Greenville, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Child Care Assistant in Greenville, WI (US)

I have been working at YMCA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, children welcome there while you work, free membership and discounted programs. Wonderful people and high positive energy.

Cons

Lack of communication between departments. No room for advancement or cross training / work. Stuck in a rut of old ways of doing things. Constantly hiring people for little part-part time work when they could use current resources available. The directors of certain departments were nicer when I was a customer compared to an employee...very odd.

Too many tiny part-time workers. Try using who you already have employed, instead of adding another 5 hour a week employee. Look and notice who you have and what they are capable of and willing to do. Not using assets available and are actually losing talented employees probably due to insecure management. Its a shame to let the talented go and be content with mediocracy.

good experience

I worked at YMCA

Pros

good experience and meet good people

Cons

you get comfortable and stuck

Fine for Part Time, Horrible Full Time

Current Employee - Membership Director  in  Toledo, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Director in Toledo, OH (US)

I have been working at YMCA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free gym membership
    Health care
    Warm Fuzzy Feelings

Cons

Low Pay
    No Advancement
    Long Hours
    If you want to make this your life's work, be ready for living just about the poverty line, begging for money for scholarship fundraising.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!