Yahoo

3.6
1,739 Reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer
Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance (in 147 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes (in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

awesome company

Pros

they give very good food

Cons

It is very difficult to get KT

Yahoo

Pros

great enviroment. well known. company values work a lot. great learning experience

Cons

competitive environment. need to get work done on time.

It really feels like the biggest start up. Love the culture, work and people at Yahoo.

Current Employee - Creative Analyst
    Current Employee - Creative Analyst

Pros

Culture, Environment and the option to collaborate. They give you apt opportunities to work on projects that add value to the process.

Cons

Compensation and growth opportunities.
    Compensation is pretty bad compared to industry standards.
    The option to grow has diminished over time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bangalore

Pros

Very employee friendly policies
    Good focus on mobile, cutting edge tech adoption
    Supports open source development
    Good personal growth
    Team culture is great. You will really like working here

Cons

Daunting appraisal process
    Near term focus vs long term vision
    Reduced focus on doing core work outside Sunnyvale
    You may be working on different projects in different quarters. Not great if you love stability/focussing on just one thing for long time

Even more mobile focus
    Focus on long term initiatives

One of the best company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangalore

Pros

Yahoo US - latest technologies, great product, good work culture
    Yahoo Bangalore- no pros

Cons

Yahoo Bangalore development center is dying. Almost all Product development works already moved or are moving back to US.

Yahoo's Bangalore center is a gas chamber (This review is only for Bangalore center)

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer (Ic4)  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer (Ic4) in Bangalore

Pros

1. Use to have an excellent culture
    2. Amazing perks and pay
    3. Excellent quality of work

Cons

1. Higher layer is tight lipped about future of Bangalore center. Leaders at Bangalore have no clue about the future. Massive exodus of people from Bangalore center (either to the US or outside). Many talented folks have left the company to other companies in Bangalore. With the remaining beaten down, low-in-moral and tired people death of Bangalore center seems imminent.
    2. Performance Evaluation is done quarterly. This has created a lot of pressure among peers to outsmart others. Very unhealthy competition. In the wake when there is no meaningful work, people fight like dogs to take credit for what ever meager gets delivered from Bangalore
    3. Salary hikes and promotions have not happened for 70% of the people at Bangalore this year. Clear sign by management that "We don't want you. Please leave"

Please be clear. If you don't want to keep the Bangalore center or just have it for support services to run during non-business hours of USA then please come out in the open and announce. Creating a situation that forces people to leave is not a sign of good leadership. You don't have to pay severance. People will graciously leave.

From Great to Good and now not so good

Pros

Some amazing technology and business challenges to work on
    Extremely smart people
    Good culture

Cons

Bangalore center is dying
    New CEO is too US centric

Great technology stack; but too much bureaucracy stops technically inclined guys

Former Employee - Principal Engineer  in  Bangalore
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Bangalore

Pros

If you want to know about the thick of things that happen in large-scale internet backends, it's a great place. Until they closed down their research labs, they were in top 6 software research organizations across the world. There is a whole technical lot they built over time.

Cons

Most pathetic environment, especially lately as the company is in shambles and facing survival/stagnation challenges. Most of the middle management is clueless and is looking for only their survival. My manager, reportedly learned from an HR friend, was scared as I had a pay-scale too close to his. When I tried to move around to other project groups, I faced a stiff bureaucratic setup that simply did not give in. People who did not know what was the difference between internal and external smart pointers (and I told them about that during the interview) told me I did not have enough hands-on. And yes, as you can guess it's full of such people as they were never very particular about their hiring.

Get off your chairs and let people do some work. It's for the org ultimately.

Life as a Yahoo!

Current Employee - Campaign Manager  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Bangalore

Pros

It's a fun place & provide a great work atmosphere. Employees get pampered quite well with free food daily, gifts & freebies on numerous occasions throughout the year. Lots of interesting activities happen all year round that are related to work & CSR.

Cons

Roles at every level are very restricted & constrained due to the sheer size of the company. 'Performance Management' is on going process & this ups the pressure to constantly be on top of your game - it can be a good thing & a bad thing... if you get fired! Career growth is very bleak unless you are on the engineering, products or management teams.

Try to lessen the pressure you put on the work force under the label of "Performance Management' so that employees will actually want to stay & work instead of quit in fear of being let go.
    Give everybody a raise. Considering the work volume & pressure after so many people were cut & hiring was frozen, we deserve a raise! You would have the money to do so if you didn't go around acquiring every company you set your beady eyes on.
    Train the mid level mangers to be transparent at all costs!
    Provide avenues for career growth for those who are not part of engineering or product teams!

Yahoo IDC Don't have any future

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Bangalore

Pros

Good work, Free food, Decent package, Employee benefits are good.
    good people around

Cons

Under the new management there is no vision for IDC.
    First step towards that was they laid off entire TA team.
    Now they are moving all work from India to US.
    Not sure what work would remain in india. From past 4/5 years they had layoff's but this time there would be massive headcount reduction.
    Even if you survive layoffs for some reason, there is concept of QPR where manager's are forced from upper management to give less ratings. Because of which internally politics will be there. In the name of QPR they laid off so many people.
    I still thought to stay back in yahoo as I haven't completed 1 year at Yahoo!. Let me talk about my journey in Yahoo.
    I joined Yahoo in June. In the month of Oct/Nov I had a 1-1 with my manager he say's "Please start looking out". I was shocked and asked him why? He says team is moving from India to US. Since I haven't completed a year in Yahoo! he can't transfer me to US. I asked him about internal team transfer he says not possible.

I started looking for internal team transfer also job search outside. Next week my manager comes back and say's I am transferring you to US please stop your job search.
    Again next week he say's "Start searching outside". I started searching for internal team transfer . Lucky found some openings . But the new team manager says there is no vision for this division after 1 quarter. I can't promise anything

About my QPR, my manager write's in QPR " My biggest weakness is I should handle org restructing smoothly even if there were so many confusion" --> How funny is that :P

Yes finally I reached my goal I completed a year n moved out of Yahoo!. Yes for sure must say I learn't a lot from Yahoo. How to have patience in life. :) :) :)

Please don't hire people if you wan't to fire them. It would be very hard for people to convince why job search < 1 year.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!