Yahoo

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.4 1,687 reviews

Yahoo President and CEO Marissa Mayer

Marissa Mayer

Pros
  • Flexible schedule that leads to a good work-life balance(in 146 reviews)

• There are some smart people there and its great to work with(in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Frequent changes in senior management/C-level management lead to a lot directional changes(in 77 reviews)

• Work life balance beginning to shift toward Google(in 27 reviews)

1,687 Employee Reviews

Great place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsVery employee friendly policies
    Good focus on mobile, cutting edge tech adoption
    Supports open source development
    Good personal growth
    Team culture is great. You will really like working here

ConsDaunting appraisal process
    Near term focus vs long term vision
    Reduced focus on doing core work outside Sunnyvale
    You may be working on different projects in different quarters. Not great if you love stability/focussing on just one thing for long time

Advice to Senior ManagementEven more mobile focus
    Focus on long term initiatives

One of the best company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsYahoo US - latest technologies, great product, good work culture
    Yahoo Bangalore- no pros

ConsYahoo Bangalore development center is dying. Almost all Product development works already moved or are moving back to US.

Yahoo's Bangalore center is a gas chamber (This review is only for Bangalore center)

Senior Software Engineer (Ic4) (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros1. Use to have an excellent culture
    2. Amazing perks and pay
    3. Excellent quality of work

Cons1. Higher layer is tight lipped about future of Bangalore center. Leaders at Bangalore have no clue about the future. Massive exodus of people from Bangalore center (either to the US or outside). Many talented folks have left the company to other companies in Bangalore. With the remaining beaten down, low-in-moral and tired people death of Bangalore center seems imminent.
    2. Performance Evaluation is done quarterly. This has created a lot of pressure among peers to outsmart others. Very unhealthy competition. In the wake when there is no meaningful work, people fight like dogs to take credit for what ever meager gets delivered from Bangalore
    3. Salary hikes and promotions have not happened for 70% of the people at Bangalore this year. Clear sign by management that "We don't want you. Please leave"

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be clear. If you don't want to keep the Bangalore center or just have it for support services to run during non-business hours of USA then please come out in the open and announce. Creating a situation that forces people to leave is not a sign of good leadership. You don't have to pay severance. People will graciously leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From Great to Good and now not so good

ProsSome amazing technology and business challenges to work on
    Extremely smart people
    Good culture

ConsBangalore center is dying
    New CEO is too US centric

Life as a Yahoo!

Campaign Manager (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsIt's a fun place & provide a great work atmosphere. Employees get pampered quite well with free food daily, gifts & freebies on numerous occasions throughout the year. Lots of interesting activities happen all year round that are related to work & CSR.

ConsRoles at every level are very restricted & constrained due to the sheer size of the company. 'Performance Management' is on going process & this ups the pressure to constantly be on top of your game - it can be a good thing & a bad thing... if you get fired! Career growth is very bleak unless you are on the engineering, products or management teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to lessen the pressure you put on the work force under the label of "Performance Management' so that employees will actually want to stay & work instead of quit in fear of being let go.
    Give everybody a raise. Considering the work volume & pressure after so many people were cut & hiring was frozen, we deserve a raise! You would have the money to do so if you didn't go around acquiring every company you set your beady eyes on.
    Train the mid level mangers to be transparent at all costs!
    Provide avenues for career growth for those who are not part of engineering or product teams!

Great technology stack; but too much bureaucracy stops technically inclined guys

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsIf you want to know about the thick of things that happen in large-scale internet backends, it's a great place. Until they closed down their research labs, they were in top 6 software research organizations across the world. There is a whole technical lot they built over time.

ConsMost pathetic environment, especially lately as the company is in shambles and facing survival/stagnation challenges. Most of the middle management is clueless and is looking for only their survival. My manager, reportedly learned from an HR friend, was scared as I had a pay-scale too close to his. When I tried to move around to other project groups, I faced a stiff bureaucratic setup that simply did not give in. People who did not know what was the difference between internal and external smart pointers (and I told them about that during the interview) told me I did not have enough hands-on. And yes, as you can guess it's full of such people as they were never very particular about their hiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your chairs and let people do some work. It's for the org ultimately.

Yahoo IDC Don't have any future

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsGood work, Free food, Decent package, Employee benefits are good.
    good people around

ConsUnder the new management there is no vision for IDC.
    First step towards that was they laid off entire TA team.
    Now they are moving all work from India to US.
    Not sure what work would remain in india. From past 4/5 years they had layoff's but this time there would be massive headcount reduction.
    Even if you survive layoffs for some reason, there is concept of QPR where manager's are forced from upper management to give less ratings. Because of which internally politics will be there. In the name of QPR they laid off so many people.
    I still thought to stay back in yahoo as I haven't completed 1 year at Yahoo!. Let me talk about my journey in Yahoo.
    I joined Yahoo in June. In the month of Oct/Nov I had a 1-1 with my manager he say's "Please start looking out". I was shocked and asked him why? He says team is moving from India to US. Since I haven't completed a year in Yahoo! he can't transfer me to US. I asked him about internal team transfer he says not possible.

I started looking for internal team transfer also job search outside. Next week my manager comes back and say's I am transferring you to US please stop your job search.
    Again next week he say's "Start searching outside". I started searching for internal team transfer . Lucky found some openings . But the new team manager says there is no vision for this division after 1 quarter. I can't promise anything

About my QPR, my manager write's in QPR " My biggest weakness is I should handle org restructing smoothly even if there were so many confusion" --> How funny is that :P

Yes finally I reached my goal I completed a year n moved out of Yahoo!. Yes for sure must say I learn't a lot from Yahoo. How to have patience in life. :) :) :)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't hire people if you wan't to fire them. It would be very hard for people to convince why job search < 1 year.

Good place to work, challenging projects

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros- Challenging work
    - Good work life balance
    - Many senior engineers are very smart
    - Decent perks

Cons- Not all teams are good
    - Quality of engineers varies with teams
    - Bangalore location not getting much love post Marissa

Excellent work, screwed up management

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsVery exciting challenges to solve using the best possible way. Nice people, good perks - good tech culture.

ConsLots of incompetent managers. With a screwed up employee rating system, they are just more powerful and causing more harm. In order to save their buddies, they have already sacrificed real good ones, who make them feel insecure. As a result, the stale proportion has actually increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify and get rid of bad managers and their non-productive buddies. Revamp the rating system - this is in favour of 'who can stick' over 'who can work'. Track the employees who left, for an year, to check their career curve and use this as feedback to refine the rating system and to use for departing employee's vertical.

Yahoo will remain immortal. Always a young firm!!!

Search Associate (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsLots of opportunity. Very Cheerful crowd and departments. Unique energy. Great working environment!!!

ConsWork Life Balance Issues. Especially since the firm is on an aggressive swing, there was less personal space.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerfect what you have then think of other avenues of investment and growth.

Worked for Yahoo? Contribute to the Community!