Yelp

Updated 18 November 2014
3.7

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

Pros
  • Environment is cool, free food all day, young staff (if that's what you're into) (in 33 reviews)

• Young minds at work, high energy, room for a lot of growth, stocked kitchen (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Learn to handle difficult conversations with business owners and you'll be ok (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible work/life balance if you care about your job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Best entry-level Job you can ask for

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From edgy start-up to one of the coolest companies in tech, Yelp is owning the local search scene around the world making the job WAY easier as time went on - the product/company had a lot more name recognition by the time I left compared to when I started. Culture is awesome, people are awesome, beers are on tap, kitchens stocked with food (not just snacks, you can literally eat breakfast and lunch there), and everyone generally wants to succeed and have a good time. It's hard not to get into it, especially considering you're selling an app that's actually pretty fun and was originally geared toward interesting people who go out a lot. The difference is that people (biz owners and consumers) have a real need for this kinda stuff, so I always felt great about selling it.

Cons

The company is growing aggressively - from just a couple floors when I started to 4 additional floors and a brand new office waiting to get moved into by the time I left, the place definitely churns people in and out. Not necessarily a bad thing but they may want to slow the growth down a bit and concentrate on hiring stellar reps who retain the company culture instead of a bunch of mass hires and clueless drones walking around.

RAISE YOUR BASE SALARY!!! Its actually shocking how little you make when you start (36K will not get you very far in NYC or SF). Commission should start right away like most other sales jobs (not after like 4 months or however long you take to get there). It eventually starts paying competitively to the industry by the time you're there for a year, but still..a year? Just bumping everyone's base up one level would do wonders to the morale of a lot of people who would be happy to do the work otherwise - it's just really hard living in a big expensive city with student loans. Top level execs (like Jeremy the CEO) are known to be stingy - my advice to Jeremy would be to stop concentrating so much money on markets like Germany and Argentina right now and start paying more money to your employee backbone and more attention to your backyard.. Who cares if someone in Brazil knows about Yelp if nobody in Kansas does.. Don't spread yourselves to thin!

Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp

Pros

The office is very fun.

Cons

Cold calling is a drag.

Software Engineering Intern

I have been working at Yelp as an intern

Pros

friendly, sociable, nice, challenging, amazing

Cons

I had to put a lot of time into my work

Great environment! Positivity makes the job!

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing onboarding training! Almost like youre back in college. They really make it so you can not fail. This is definitely worth the risk of hating a desk job. The positive energy helps you everyday. trust the process!

Cons

It is a cold calling job. So you will get down almost everyday, but you gotta pick yourself back up, dont let the negative energy hit you through the phone. keep going, and trust the process

Glorified aggressive telemarketing and harassment of small business owners

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great, cafe and loaded kitchen on site, great parties and perks.

Cons

The territory distribution system, racists, and frat boy mentality among managers. On a floor of 70+ sales people only two were African American until one was fired during training although he was selling well. Favoritism and being very flirty will get you a good territory. Unfortunately, the territories you get have all been worked to death and the business owners will be so annoyed they will literally threaten you. You will be harassing the same people over and over despite them not being able to buy due to economic reason- for example, a few businesses I was calling went out of business and I was still forced to call them up until they closed their doors and in the meantime I lost on other good leads- well actually, their inventory is no organized and they bought many fake listings that show up on your pipeline. You will literally call everyone who has ever has a yelp page and harass them until they buy. My territories were very strange- one was a total loss, a very very poor area (well known through out, actually a skid row) and the other was a bit better, and I made large sales there. It really doesn't take much talent as they would have you think to make sales- IF you get a healthy territory with inventory then you'll make sales easily. The problem is inventory is NOT always available and combined with a horrible territory and 60+ closed/fake businesses in your pipeline you are doomed. You will burn out quickly unless you are making target every month. Sounds like a great job and it can be, but it is in no way creative and you literally do the same thing every day. Every day. One of the WORST jobs I've had to endure. The HR lady Taylor really sold me on the job. I am very grateful to have gone through their training which WAS fantastic but has since changed to cycle through sales reps more quickly.

Hire more people of color, sponsor less foreign talent and hire more Americans, change their inventory- their territories have a lot of fake listings which bite into your business as a sales rep.

Second class sales reps to engineer

I worked at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Obviously a huge company, some perks like offsites, company parties, young people, party environment. Free food and drinks.

Cons

It's basically a frat party at ASU at Yelp. Some of the people in the sales department are very bright - others are some of the dimmest I've come across. Also - they treat engineers like kings, sales doesn't even come close to that.

The most humble person in the entire org is the CEO Jeremny, the management should take a look in the mirror at what goes on right beneath their noses and start to act like professionals.

Great place to learn the basics of online advertising, terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You'll learn a lot about the basics of online advertising, but not much else. Good health benefits. Freee (unhealthy) food. Good location. Fun atmosphere. Great stepping stone as they're known as slave drivers - if you last for a year you'll get respect in the industry.

Cons

You're a glorified telemarketer (and paid like one) with a fancy degree. The only college experience I used was how I learned to schmooze in my sorority. If you stay more than a year in the account exec position, you're not doing your career any favors unless you want to be a telemarketer or local salesperson.

It's demeaning and drone-like work. The most miserable job I've had. A bunch of kids with too much responsibility pretending they can run a company. The CEO hooks up with employees. It was like a coed fraternity that took themselves far too seriously. They try to brainwash you into thinking working there was the best thing that every happened to you.

Best Part - Amazing Benefits

Current Employee - Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

100% employer paid health benefits, snacks and drinks in kitchens. Quarterly company off-sites as well as team off-sites. Co-workers become your close friends.

Cons

Young and inexperienced management. Lots of politics and games. Must drink the 'kool-aid' to be approved of by the higher ups and to advance.

There are things more important than bleeding yelp when looking to advance talent. Look to reward hard work, dedication and loyalty.

Challenging, fun environment with smart colleagues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are smart, respectable individuals with a variety of backgrounds. Few people came from the same previous company-- or even the same industry, college, or major. This brings a lot of perspectives to the worktable and makes your water cooler conversations all the more interesting. The flat hierarchy of our work culture means everyone's ideas are heard and valued, and the team spirit of the organization is unrivaled. I also really respect the mission-driven aspects of the business-- our mission drives every business decision, and that's clear from the choices our facilities makes about being located in the middle of downtown SF (near tons of local businesses) to the engineering org's feature rollouts. The lean business model (in terms of perks and comp) can be a pro and a con, but I appreciate seeing that no dollar is wasted here (at least in the perks part).

Cons

Compensation for some roles isn't top of market, but is still fair and they hired a comp analyst to make adjustments moving forward (benefits of a growing company). Time off policy is lean but fair, though I wish for applicable teams there was more flexibility to work from home for those days when you're sick enough not to want to spread it around but not so sick you can't work at all. It's also unfortunate that the company hires a lot of immature people (particularly in sales, where they just need an army on the phone) who make mistakes that impact the whole company's perks and regulations (like beer privileges being limited after several people got drunk at work...Get it together, people!).

Improve mentorship programs across the company (seems great for engineering interns, but we should expand it... this could help solve the immature hires problem), better-support long-term employees (an extra 3-days of PTO after 2 years isn't an awesome incentive, but 5 days would be).

Pretty Nice Overall

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Great people around you. They are truly enthusiatics about their work!

Cons

Perks are not as good as other company in my opinion.