Yesmail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Hilts

copy writing

Senior Graphic Designer (Current Employee)
Nagercoil

I have been working at Yesmail part-time for less than a year

ProsYesmail is an organization that positively stands apart

Consmarketing applications, data management, data intelligence, lead generation, and best practices consulting.

Advice to Senior Managementmarketing applications, data management, data intelligence, lead generation, and best practices consulting.

Good and Bad

I have been working at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

ProsFor the most part it's very flexible and decent work/life balance. And with a few exceptions, most of the people I work with are good people - not all, but most. The absolute only reason I stay is the flexibility.

ConsLimited growth opportunities. Horrible benefits. No yearly reviews - which means no raises. Some people seem checked out and just going through the motions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on board with normal corporate standards. I have never worked for a company who's CEO states in Town Hall meetings (on more than one occasion) that "We don't do reviews". If you think it's time for a raise, you have to beg your manager. That is ridiculous. If you want to keep people and reduce turnover - give us incentive to want to stay. Regular reviews. Standard pay increases. Decent 401k. This is a job, not a career.

Good people, Poor Management

I worked at Yesmail

ProsMany great co-workers. Possible opportunities if you get lucky.

ConsNew Executive Team seems to be focused on saving money by replacing innovative teams with low cost skeleton teams. Any tech culture has now been replaced by old school time sheet mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate your plan to stay vital in the industry with your staff.

A hectic, unorganized approach to doing business with no real mindset for long term thinking.

IT Manager (Former Employee)
Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

ProsSome really good people to work with that really want to see the company succeed and are willing to put in the time to see it happen.

ConsSenior management appears to not have a clue and make decisions that negatively affect day to day work life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of your rear ends and listen to your line level managers and employees.

Good people - management needs to take care of the workers

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than a year

Prosgood people, and technology - email industry is consolidating, you must have expertise in several areas. Data and big data technology could help their position.

Conswillingness to change, look at new technology and marketing methods. Leverage the good resources you have (the people). Yesmail has had several re-org's in the past but i'm not sure if just changing management is the answer.

Where bad programmers go to die.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Yesmail full-time for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, multiple company offices (NY, SF, PDX, London, etc). They'll overpay you. A lot.

ConsDo you thrive in using legacy versions of obsolete software? Do you like being lied to during your interview? If so, you'll love working for Yesmail!

This is a place where best-practices are only something you hear about from your other programmer friends. This is a place where people laugh at you when they find out you've worked here and then they say "Wow, I hadn't heard that name in a long time. Didn't realize they were still around".

The projects worked on here are trivial at best. Their entire CSE team should be replaced by college interns; however, it would only benefit the interns as how to not develop software. Projects (if they can be called that) were never documented, scoped, and the requirements (never gathered) were only ever obtained after weeks of e-mail and phone-tag. Once you finally get a hold of what you need to do, it's already late and all the onus is on you.

On several occasions, managers would interview potential candidates (and be impressed) however only offer a lower position.

The only benefit is that they'll probably overpay you. But you'll need it to pay for the hilariously priced health insurance.

If you literally can not find a job anywhere else dust off that old JSP 1.0 book, read the intro chapter and you'll be good to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace your entire technology department. It's not 2001 anymore.

It's a paycheck.

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocation (for Portland employees).
Coworkers are generally good to work.
Ability to work with a handful of notable clients.
Casual-dress work environment.
If you stay 3 years, you'll be senior and have a remote chance of promotion.

ConsExecutive leadership lacks clear direction.
Annual Reviews only upon request and not guaranteed.
No bonuses for the past 4 years.
Good employees are continually leaving.
Low pay - don't go in expecting to advance or get a compensation increase later.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees or at least make them feel like they're given anything but a paycheck. Provide incentives and a reason to feel good about working here. Actions speak louder than words. REALISTICALLY decide what you want to be as a company and position yourself accordingly.

Awesome, innovative and growth company

VIce President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Yesmail full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVisionary leadership, values staff, growing company

ConsInsurance, technology group needs some improvement

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Getting back in the Game

I worked at Yesmail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros•Flexible work environment
•Great People
•Interesting field
•Cool clients doing great work in the interactive space

Cons•Company is in turn-around mode
•Outdated business processes
•Long hours

Advice to Senior Management•Invest in infrastructure, business process and making system better for your employees. Actively try to breakdown data silos and integrate systems.
•Have a place where feedback and be given and ideas shared anonymously
•Make collaboration part of the culture again – across business functions and offices
•Communicate more and ask for feedback
•Do performance reviews, in a predicable fashion
•Have clear vision, expectations and measures for success for your employees

Yesmail is a mixed bag

I worked at Yesmail

ProsThere are many friendly individuals and there can be opportunities to learn and grow.

ConsThe company doesn't seem to have clear career path for most departments. New management is not people focused and seems struggling to turn around the last few years of bad numbers and client losses.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that while work is a reciprocal agreement to exchange services, a company needs to reciprocate with more than just a salary. Things like mentoring, career advancement, training, trust etc. are required to retain the best and the brightest.

Worked for Yesmail? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Yesmail reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Yesmail CEO Mike Hilts. All 25 reviews are posted anonymously by Yesmail employees.