Zep

Be The First To
Add Photos

Zep Chairman, President, and CEO John K. Morgan

John K. Morgan

The story changes once you are inside.

I have been working at Zep full-time

ProsYou get a good start at Zep. But start looking for a job after a year if you want to further your career.

ConsAfter the first couple of years, if you last that long, things go down hill. You find out there is no such thing as a career path. Yes there are people here with longevity, but they have been in the same position for 5, even 10 years. You have to work under constant pressure of being laid off. Zep operates in a continual cycle of layoffs. Its not that the managers are totally incompetent, they are afraid to do their jobs because they are also expendable. The executives WILL get their bonuses and they don't care what they have to do to get them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some other ways to manage your expenses and fund your bonuses other than at the costs of your employees. And how about sharing those bonuses with the rest of us.

Good experience initially 10 years ago but management changing

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Zep full-time for more than 10 years

Prosit is a 100 percent commission job.

Consno stability with management changing on regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a business plan and stick to it.

Zep enabled me to grow professionally in customer service, sales, warehousing & distribution, P&L mgmt and more.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 10 years

ProsQuality products
Professional mgmt and staff
Opportunities for growth
Solid benefit package

ConsDifficult for new salespeople to get started without prior connections with buyers in large accounts

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that you make it easy for customers to do business with you. This benefit was lost when Zep closed many branches on the local level. Perhaps this was merely a growing pain and has worked itself out by now.

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery flexible work schedule. Decent, but expensive benefits.

ConsNo formal training on products and services.
Very little communication from management.
100% commission after training period ends.
Very difficult to earn a decent paycheck without having existing business contacts.
If a new rep inherits accounts, they do not receive 100% commissions on future sales for those accounts.
Since it is industry standard to provide customers with dispensing equipment, the cost of the equipment is deducted from a reps commissions if customers will not buy equipment.
No reimbursement for any business expense.
Zep has flooded the market with its products through internet suppliers, wholesale distributors, and big box retailers.
Excessive shipping charges for customers.
High order minimum for customers ($150). If this minimum is not met, commissions on that order are reduced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking for additional channels to get products to market, you are taking customers away from reps that rely on that income.
Work to reduce excessive shipping charges for customers. Customers cannot afford to pay in excess of $80 in shipping charges for products.
Start investing in training for your reps. If a rep asks for training; give it to him/her.
Start reimbursing reps for expenses, which is standard practice in your industry.

Learned a lot but confusion rules

Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Zep full-time

ProsOld, established company, good products, some smart people there

ConsKnee-jerk reactions to market fluctuations, they have massive layoffs to show investors they are "serious about cost cutting" then add staff gradually, then another layoff, then more rehiring... rinse, repeat...

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about 5 years from now, not 5 months from now and stop treating your valuable, loyal employees like expired bread.

A great place to work.

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsThe constant lay-offs and never knowing when you are next.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employee.

Great experience, great leadership, and smart colleagues.

I worked at Zep part-time

ProsSmart colleagues, autonomous work life, great products

ConsNo Cons. Great place to work.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

They are moving towards eliminating sales reps altogether.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
DeSoto, TX (US)

I worked at Zep full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou are your own boss. I technically had 5. The last one, hadn't made contact in a year and a half.

ConsTotally unorganized. Getting anything done except placing orders is impossible. Plus, I think they are moving towards eliminating their sales force to local distributors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your sales force. Don't just send them out with a three day course of sales 101.

They have been confused

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zep full-time

ProsProducts are rock solid, people are great calibre (nice) If you are looking to start your own business and have that mentality then this may be good for you or if you are starting your career and can give 3 years as a stepping stone, otherwise run the other way. More frustrating than anything else.

ConsMotto of the company really is Zep pays Zep first. Good for the shareholders but as you go along they don't make the best decisions and don't really value people as partners. They are used to having tenured people who have been with the company and so if you are new...it's like learning in braille. It is slowly changing but they have wasted good talent and lost people who could have really contributed to company. It's been a gong show. They may be getting it now. Not sure for sales unless you concentrate in vehicle or food sales if there is a worthwhile career. If you are looking for a company with a strong culture - this isn't it. Very hands off - other than selling product they don't do much.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay what you need to - to put in place management in each region with experience. Sales reps without leadership are not very engaged and customers don't win in a commission for the money only environment.

Inside Sales Rep

Inside Sales (Current Employee)
Breinigsville, PA (US)

I have been working at Zep full-time for less than a year

ProsWonderful place to work, great leadership support, good benefits, very informative training program.

ConsVery happy with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove working here!!

Worked for Zep? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zep reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zep CEO John K. Morgan. All 40 reviews are posted anonymously by Zep employees.