Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work is fun, but engineers deserve more respect.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good engineers as colleagues.

ConsCareer growth might get stale after a while
A little favoritism culture had set in.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou could group and form great teams, but not at the cost of company.

Worked in zynga bangalore for a year

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to worth with, lots of learning opportunities, free food, good facilities, flexible working hours, approachable management

ConsSome teams have crazy work hours, frequent changes to organization structure that is sometimes confusing, they are still struggling to get the food right

Learning at Incredible speed

Associate Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros- You get to work with some of the best people around
- Probably the best place for Product Management in India
- Awesome food / recreational facilities

Cons- Work / Life Balance will take a hit, at least initially. That might be true of any firm.
- No clarity beyond the next 3 months. Things / Teams change very quickly. If the chaos is okay, you should thrive here.

HONOUR AMONG THIEVES!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsIf one is a freaher it is a good place to start off with since they pay well to attract talent.
Food , food, food if you are going to enjoy this please join...
GM's are extremely talented and a good lot to work with but the corruption is so high that it takes away the pleasure of working with these people.

ConsThe crime party - Country Manager, Ops managers, HR head, HR manager..... If you would like to understand how corruption works Zynga is the best place to get this information... The management here mainly takes care of their own pockets and ensures that the lions share of bonuses fall into their pockets. The crime party never lets down each other.... The vendors they use are all names sakes of the crime party and they make a killing in each and every deal.
HR openly supports fraud and prides sexual harrassment... and you can succeed in this place only if ypu are one amongst them. TRANSPARENCY is non existent in any of the dictionaries of the management..They like to make the US feel that "ALL IS WELL".
The management lacks maturity in dealing with any any situations. Escalations go to the Country Manager and HR Head who are not people who cannot think independently and take decisions, their decisions are based on favouritism and the degree of consequence depends on how well an employee licks these peoples boots.......
Its a mini version of how politicians work in our country for their own benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet Zynga make some money please!!!!

Good place to be at if you are looking for just fun

QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time

ProsFun, good environment, no pressure,

ConsNo upside in career and management sucks at times

Never a dull moment

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsVery exciting business, things are constantly changing and employees are constantly challenged

ConsNo work life balance at all

Initially a good place to work; now a very bad one (steep decline in last 9-12 months)

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros[1] Excellent food for breakfast, lunch and evening snacks. 5 different caterers for 5 working days, one of them is a 5-star hotel. Multi-national cuisines - salads, soups, main course, starters and icecream everyday! You'll love this place if you're a foodie. Only 1 or 2 companies in India probably have better food than here. Period.
[2] Quarterly appraisal cycle and bonus payouts (that is, you don't have to wait an year for your pay hike or bonus payout :-)).
[3] Smart developers around. Zynga hired a lot of smart folks from good companies/colleges (I hear hiring standards have declined recently, I'm not sure)
[4] Good growth and quick change in roles (this 'pro' existed 2 years back, may not be now)

Cons(I'm not gonna just compalain about the cons here. Wherever applicable, I'll indicate how you can use these cons to your advantage, if your conscience / opportunity at company allows. See points mentioned in '=>')

[1] Clearly not an engineering-oriented company. Very few (I repeat, very few) people get to work on good-technology. Most developers work on projects involving only editing XML files, adding PHP array entries, editing CSS, integrating animation/image files into front-end code etc. Only products that US office doesn't want transitions to India office. The other way around, products that's technologically cool built out of India office gets transitioned to US. Around 60-80% of the developers here can be quickly replaced by front-end developers or multi-media chaps (who just have an NIIT course on CSS/JS/Flash).
=> Keep your expectations clear. Don't come here to work on cool technologies or anything. Earn salary and leave.
[2] Lacks dignity of labour. Clearly, following is the tiered system one would notice within a week of joining:
1st-grade employees: Product Managers, Producers, UI Designers, Artists
2nd-grade employees: Developers, Engineering Managers
3rd-grade employees: QA
Typically for all the good things that happen in your product, Product Managers and Producers get credit. For any bad things, blame typically goes to developers and QA. General Managers almost always listen only to Product Managers or Producers. As a developer, I get deeply hurt sometimes. Can't imagine what would our QA be feeling every day!
=> If you want to join Zynga as developer, come with clear expectations that you're not respected like in other companies. Then you'll feel better.
[3] Product Managers and producers call the shots in almost all teams (to know what a 'producer' role means, you may have to google a bit). As a developer, you'll have little to no freedom to disagree with them. Engineering managers are powerless here - there is little they're able to do, even if they want to. This has a direct negative impact on developer's work-life balance, severely. A freshly graduated MBA can make 7 to 10 year experienced developers and their engineering manager dance to his/her tunes. Unfortunately, Product Managers in India Studio are very short-sighted (focus is on that particular month's revenue, sometimes that week's - instead of thinking long-term). This attitude is obviously bad for company as well as developers. Developers end-up working for short-term goals and hence sub-standard projects.
=> You can expect a good hike / promotion if you're in good terms with Product Managers and Producers in your team. Their quarterly feedback on you matters a lot (I repeat, a lot)!!! If you're into developing features, do whatever they tell you to, howsoever foolish it might seem or howsoever damaging their decisions is on product - don't question. Also, don't spend unnecessary effort in impressing these Engineering Manager fellows with your good programming skills or hard work or anything. If possible, move out of feature development and work on some platform stuff with an architect directly.
[4] There is lot of office politics (a lot) - this is not a general statement that one passes in any software company, but a bit more severe. This one involves a lot of people across roles. There are multiple nexuses in office.
=> If your conscience allows you, be part of one such nexus. Be in good books of key people in your team and company HR. Never (I repeat, never) provide correct feedback about these key people in your team to HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop the company to be a more engineering-oriented - other this attrition would continue (may be aggravate). Overhaul the India office.

Be prepared to wear many hats & deliver work at Zynga speed!

UI Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsThe work environment is quite chilled out. You will get to work with crazy, passionate & self driven people.

ConsThe Job roles however, are not so well defined here.

Zynga is for people who like to lick the boots of HR & know to blow their trumpet well...

QA Role (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsFood, Food, nothing much to mention about

Cons>> Attitude of HR [Big heads] as Appraisal, Perks & Compensation is in their Hands. Never seen a company like this before.
   Its like supreme power given to Monkeys, their experience & Maturity level is way below their knees. Professionalism, Culture & Ethics is absolutely shitty.
>> Only people who lick HR boots get good hikes & perks, all other dedicated employees are ignored.
>> Not a place for prompt, disciplined, silent & smart workers.
>> HR promises many things while offering, hardly keep such promises.

Advice to Senior Management>> Try to recognise people with open mindedness. Dont presume things & reward people of your choice.
>> All that glitters is not Gold, recognise individual's contribution towards work than their licking/boasting capabilities.
>> Stop playing with people's career. Day is not too far where everyone will witness the ship sinking.
>> Follow the 3M rule: Effective utilisation of Men, Material & Money - Core thing missing in Zynga [Colossal waste of 3M].

Zynga India - synonym for Favoritism, Nepotism, Corruption

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFood. Good enough facilities. Amiable security staff (nothing else to write !!)

ConsIn Zynga India HR and ceratain bosses has the ultimate say against any reason & justification. haughty and ludicrous HR top. Top notch favoritism. Shameless mouth-blabbering wins over dedication and skill. Corruption in art-outsourcing. The manager who initiated large amount art-outsourcing to certain indian companies draws huge amounts from them as fringe-benefit, monthly. preposterous country manager.

Basicaly The top bosses wants to pocket as much dollars as possible from USA, while all this lasts. This is a place for mouth-blabbers, smart-talkers and shameless butt-kissers. Not a place for skilled folks who consider there careers important.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy your life. But remember, if you are unethical and rotten to your subordinates , it reflects everywhere, even to yourself. Why this life?

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.