Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took(in 52 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays(in 40 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio(in 25 reviews)

Associate Software Developer Zynga Review

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsDiversity, good people, facilties, more responsibility

Conswork life balance, not very good technology wise

Awesome for a fresher

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsBrings you to top gear in no time, perks are definitely a plus. Friendly work atmosphere, mentoring in it's truest.

Conswork load is involved. perpetual amount of work coming to you. bad feedback in the news.

Advice to Senior Managementmanage media better

Excellent place for yogis , who can let go of all wordily happiness like family, friends.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsFree food and snacks.
    Nice interiors.

ConsMe-first-crush-you-under-my-dirty-shoe attitude of managers.
    Excellent place for those who like working for 74 hours a week.
    Excellent place for those who would like to get more work plus perked humiliation for good/excellent performance instead of recognition and bonus.
    Excellent for people who would ilke to work on vacation, since theres no leave policy.
    Excellent place for those who know how to lick feet to grow upwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementBozo explosion on its way , cut the politics.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enlightening

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsGaming
    Innovative culture
    Working with the latest and best technologies

ConsWork life balance and demands for hours

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation is about being more experimental, that aspect is ignored

Great place to work on casual games

Producer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits and everyone works as a team to get things done.

ConsUpper management seems directionless and don't know how to create any new games except for FarmVille.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop copying other games.
    Commit to new ideas.

Good benefits

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLots of smart co-workers.

Good benefits.

Company provides breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Happy hours on Fridays.

Management is reasonable.

ConsDepending on the project teams, some teams need to work longer hours than usual.

Great resources at your disposal, but plagued with never-ending reorgs.

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAccess to real-time data really strengthens the decision-making capabilities. Resources available to do job and perform well. A lot of flexibility given to employees. Lots of great perks (food, gym, dogs, fun building). Fun work environment in a fun building and great city location.

ConsConstantly plagued with reorgs and leadership changes, impeding on team building opportunities and career growth. Bonuses aren't regular or completely transparent. Losing a bit of the work hard / play hard edge.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more excitement from our new CEO.

Great benefits, but lacking direction and career development

ProsGreat benefits (medical/dental premium covered 100%, amazing food from the culinary staff, great coffee, snacks)

ConsWhile Don Mattrick and other executives focus on hiring their friends into senior management positions, we continue to lose tons of talented employees who do the actual work on our products (engineers, PMs, designers).

Most of the employees I know haven't received a significant title change or real salary bump in more than two years. And I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Constant reorganizations and priority changes derail any progress teams are making. Teams are expected to be in a constant crunch mode, and we are given very little clarity on the company's priorities. Employees doing the day-to-day work are asked to do more with less—meanwhile the company continues to aggressively hire senior managers and directors who don't actually help with the production of games. This strategy does nothing but add additional layers of unnecessary bureaucracy that make our jobs even harder.

Big decisions seem to be made on a whim, causing lots of thrash as teams scramble to comply with the executive "idea of the week" and delay progress on milestones that really matter. It seems like with every project we are reinventing the wheel with respect to the software development process. None of this process, and none of the key questions to ask during that process, should be new to anyone in management at a software company!

Morale at the company seems to be at an all-time low. You often hear stories about Zynga's earlier years where people were excited to work hard and stay late at the office. It's just not the case now. People cheer with excitement for one another when they hear a friend found a job elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to understand how much you make teams scramble on a day-to-day basis with strange requests and questions asked on a whim that pull entire teams off important work so their managers and executives can save face.

We need more quality control and innovation in our products and in our leadership practices.

Management needs to seriously consider the impact attrition is having on our work culture. When you see great colleagues leaving every week, it makes you really question your position.

Great place to be a PM. Terrible place for creatives.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat food, liberal vacation policy (if you can use it), little red tape, smart people, good location, bike and dog friendly.

ConsBroken design culture, PM dominated decision making, short term focus, poor bonuses, mediocre salaries, brutal workloads, terrible team management, constant barking, high turnover, lots of politics and yes-men.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake games people will love playing and people will love making. Pay employees wages needed to live in San Francisco. Profit share more. Stop wasting your employees. Stop making copies and create something original.

Company is past its prime but still a decent place to work

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsI was at Zynga for more than 4 years. Having joined early, I got to see the company take off and subsequently the recent pains of the past few years.

Knowing all that, my overall experience here has been fairly positive. Things are better for those who joined early however due to receiving more stock and compensation than those who have joined later. Consequently, it seems like a lot of the older folks are still here while those who have been here for a year or two quickly find something else and leave.

The company direction isn't great but if you come into grips with the situation and silo yourself within your immediate group, then you'll find passionate people who really care about what they do and also some of the smartest people I've had the pleasure working for.

And the perks? Awesome. Free food, free gym, shuttles, pretax on transit programs. The culinary department is probably the best performing division and most consistent group within the company. Having been served countless lunches and dinners over the past 4 years, I heartily say thank you to them.

ConsDirection of the company is not great. Company lacks a culture of innovation and products that the company pushes out are lacking and cannot compare with competitors. I don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

Company has a lot of cash but pivots constantly with constant re-orgs which throw out everything that was previously done. I've had so many teams and managers in the past year that it's frustrating.

My best advice is to put your head down, get what you can and learn what you can, and to not let it bother you too much. Otherwise the politics will and can kill this place for someone.

Having to worry about layoffs all the time suck. Having been through both of them, they were huge morale drainers and made a lot of people jaded about staying, almost to the point of just zombie'ing through their career here. People joke about wanting to stay just to get laid off also and get the severence, not the best work environment to be in.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace innovation and focus

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!