Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 42 reviews
  • "Free lunch and dinner, free blue bottles coffee all day"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent place for yogis , who can let go of all wordily happiness like family, friends.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore

I have been working at Zynga full-time for less than a year

ProsFree food and snacks.
Nice interiors.

ConsMe-first-crush-you-under-my-dirty-shoe attitude of managers.
Excellent place for those who like working for 74 hours a week.
Excellent place for those who would like to get more work plus perked humiliation for good/excellent performance instead of recognition and bonus.
Excellent for people who would ilke to work on vacation, since theres no leave policy.
Excellent place for those who know how to lick feet to grow upwards.

Advice to Senior ManagementBozo explosion on its way , cut the politics.

Enlightening

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore

I have been working at Zynga full-time for less than a year

ProsGaming
Innovative culture
Working with the latest and best technologies

ConsWork life balance and demands for hours

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation is about being more experimental, that aspect is ignored

Great company to work!

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome work culture with full of fun. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym.

Not for everyone, but has been great for me

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy current team is awesome. The company cut a lot of the fat (not all) and I landed on a team with veterans from the game industry. Benefits are great: food, beverages, gym, showers, and team offsites. Time-off is flexible as long as employees work it out with their team for full timers. Compensation has been restructured - it's way more fair than before and teams that haven't launched or who do not create games have compensation opportunities. My work life balance is perfect right now (although it wasn't always that way). Most importantly, the management on my team is AMAZING. My boss is the best I've ever had and is helping me grow in my career as a game maker (not just a Zynga employee).

ConsGoing from start up to a corporate game company was very rough for everyone we've been through a lot of growing pains. When I started, much of the management was very young and inexperienced so they didn't know how to make the transition work. We are still recovering from teams being run by business people and not by game makers who understand the business (albeit it is improving). We lost some great talent from the layoffs, but tbh, many would have left anyway. Several people that have left have moved from start up to start up and get nostalgic about this place, so it really depends on an individuals experience. While some managers are amazing, there are still others that are terrible (but with a company this large, of course it isn't perfect, even though there is no excuse for it). Zynga is a great place to be or the worst depending on who's POV you ask.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more autonomy and ownership to your teams. Focus on making fun games FIRST and then layer on the money making levers second. People will buy a great game for it's intrinsic value. Enforce personal growth opportunities and be okay with employees who just want to kick butt in their current level of work, AND reward them both.

Analytics first, games second

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time for less than a year

ProsOn site gym, decent free lunches, smart employees, well-structured teams, solid compensation

Conszero passion for games, some problems with work life balance, constant barking

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a games company. Keep your focus on metrics, but hire some people who have a passion for games, not just money.

Good place to work, bad place to grow

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsWork is challenging and fun, learns a lot. Team is fun and friendly.

ConsManagement and decision making becomes horrible after the company is going down and desperately looking for a way out. Lots of talented people left.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so political.

Worked there pre-Farmville; incredibly smart colleagues

I worked at Zynga

ProsSmart people with whom to work; people worked incredibly hard; demanding environment

ConsLearned a ton; very little challenging that I could see of CEO

Advice to Senior ManagementNot relevant as left several years ago.

The perks make people stay longer than they should

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsThe perks!

- Free breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Dogs allowed
- Game room, movie theater, stocked bar, quarterly parties

ConsManagement needs a facelift. They throw people into C level management because of their list of companies they've worked at not because of their capabilities.

Zynga - room of growth if management execute it right!

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

ConsManagement is in the midst of course correction...poor communication from the top is not inspiring confidence. Office politics is affecting and preventing work from getting done right.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are your greatest asset.

Great experience, but

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, flexible time-offs, flexible hours.

ConsTerrible work-life balance. For about 2 years all I've done was work non-stop because there was no other way around it. Meritocracy doesn't really work when everyone is competing against each other and we all end up burning out with little rewards.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many workers who have poor management, and therefore no matter how hard they work they are never acknowledged. Management needs to be a bit more on top of looking after the people working for them such as promotions and quarterly goals. Things have gotten much too unorganized due to some people having unsure goals, or no goals to strive for and achieve.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.