Zynga

Zynga Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick

Pros:
  • "Free food and snacks are good and did offset some of the salary cut the pre-ipo hired took"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

flexible, free, fun workplace

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood working environment, fast paced and highly creative and technically skilled peers

Consremuneration is less for the effort we put in, and the career growth is kinda of neutral or depends on he manager you get.

Advice to Senior Managementneed good remunerations for the effort we put in to the company round the clock.

Great place to work with.

QA Engineer I (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment.
Liberal in working hours.
Less stress
High Standards

ConsPolitics and Bad review of skills.

Good experience

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsFun work environment. Good games. Overall enjoyable. I love to play the games they build. especially farmville and casino mafia

ConsNot much I can think of. Fun work environment. Good games. Overall enjoyable. I love to play the games they build. especially farmville and casino mafia

Bad compensation, bad work/life balance, horrible upper Management

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people you work with are mostly young and driven. Work from home option.

Cons- HR and upper Management one of the worst I have ever experienced
- Level ups and comp increase heavily depended on how well you cuddle up to HR or upper Management
- frequent late nights and weekend work
- no transparency for anything from Level ups to why certain Studios are preferred over others

Advice to Senior Managementwake up and look at who is really working and reward those, take away some power from HR

Good facilities but lousy work culture and people management

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent free food, recreational facilities, flexi hours, wfh option, unlimited leave policy.

ConsYou won't get any visibility, promotions, pay hikes or bonuses without sucking up to Indian HR. If you're a pet of HR, life is made for you here. Blatant favouritism displayed by HR. Game teams are favoured over other support teams. Plenty of politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees who turn in good work. Stop centering so much power in HR.

Amazing till 2011. Changed drastically most that

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsZynga still has some talented people to work with. There is a strong analytical culture that if done right (like the early years) can be a great learning opportunity for people.

ConsLost focus over time. Early employees left or checked out.
The management let strong people leave and were left with some poor employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower employees like the early years. Keep on your toes to keep innovating and looking for new disruptions.

An Ok company with lots of cash, poor technology, very bad managers and no strategy

Senior QA Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsFood is amazing.
Work will be recognized and lots of cash / promotions will follow if you work hard. Never felt underpaid here or ever thought about not getting that hike. Hikes are good. Gift cards are given generously for even small achievements.
I have a very satisfied work life balance. May be because I am not in the game teams.
Facilities do an awesome job here. Employees are regularly treated with great food on occasion of festivals and others.

ConsManagers do not contribute at all. They just sit and spend their time playing politics.And most managers are either over qualified or totally under qualified for their jobs. While the former are good but less in number. The latter are worthless and do a real shoddy job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake managers responsible for everything that his team does or does wrong. Train them to run a team properly.

Fast Moving company, Like Finance Market, Bad for Engineers, Great for PMs

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsFast Culture - even though it is a big company, things move at a very fast pace.
Data Driven Decisions - most of the decisions are taken based on internal data platform.
Meritocracy - if you slog enough, they'll promote you and shower you with cash.

ConsZynga India is a outsource shop, cost saving strategy.
Code quality is horrible, terrible. Very bad Engineering Culture in Game Teams. High attrition rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing specific

not so good.

Producer (Former Employee)
Bangalore

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

ProsFun at work. No leaves policy. Flexi hours

ConsNo job security. Continuous lay offs.

Advice to Senior Managementdon hire if you cant promise their jobs

Politics, nepotism, favoritism and corruption at its best

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros1. Very good engineers to work with, but even there the quality is going down with recent hiring and lot of good people have left due to rampant nepotism
2. Decent food

Cons1. If you are an engineer this is probably one of the worst places to work. You will often be bossed by people with no skills whasoever. In Zynga they are called Producers. Literally anybody becomes a producer here, any QA, english writers, or so called community specialists, literally anyone who knows the right boots to lick

2. HRs control too many things. The quarterly evaluation they tell you about is a joke. There is no transparency and Engineering managers have no say in appraisals. It is a close group who always keep getting the best. If you don't know how to play this game of thrones, this is not the place for you

3. Overall there is no sense of direction and you have very little control on you career direction. Today you are working one one project and tomorrow you will be put to a different project without any direction and no explanations given to you.

4. There is no transparency in any process they follow.

5. Many IIM grads. who believe they know everything are actually sinking the company. They all are trained to chase very short term goals here, as a result company is suffering. Add to that these recent graduate can actually make a senior engineer's life tough.

6. I have not come across a single good game designer in India. This is sort of understandable given there aren't any good game design institutes in India. But, here the problem is that these mediocre people are calling the shots.

7. Your technical growth stops in this company because you are always chasing short term goals, without a moment to stop and think. At times you are even expected to do data entry kind of work, and then they come up with phrases like Zynga first to justify this.

8. Best way to grow in this company if you are an engineer is a) Create a problem yourself b) Solve it couple of days later c) Send a big mail as to how you have solved the biggest problem, add in a few made up numbers, tie up with a Product manager to add in an excel sheet with all sort of manipulated information. It never fails to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll that glitters is not gold. Have a re-look at your quarterly review process. There are many people in this office being paid for no real work. Stop those expenses rather than cutting out benefits from deserving people

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All 302 reviews are posted anonymously by Zynga employees.