Zynga

Updated 11 November 2014
Updated 11 November 2014

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 56 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun working on new game, not fun working on established game

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the time the benefits were pretty good and the salary was nice. I met a lot of cool people working there at the time.

Cons

Working on well-established games is not fun. The code base is terrible and the amount of influence you will have as a programmer is 0.
    Working on a new game they made promises they couldn't keep regarding bonuses. Mislead us to believe our game would be a hit but it was actually the largest failure in Zynga history.

Good place for new grads to work and learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Average engineers I know come in at 10, have 1 hour for lunch, have 1 hour for gym/dinner/break, and leave at 7. That's 7 hours of working time.
    During working hour the task is not compact. You can cost loosely.
    Can WFH any day
    Flexible holiday, not a fixed amount. As long as you have good performance and gives the team time to plan ahead.
    Can bring dogs, and almost 50% people bring dogs.
    Benefits are on bar with Internet companies, which means much higher than traditional game companies.
    The work you are working on is a game. Though it may not be the game you like to play, the process is the same. You can learn the inside out of how to make games. People around you are mostly veterans probably worked on games you love. And they are not super busy, you can learn tons from them.
    Culture is great, people here love great games and play, talk about them.

Cons

Risk of being laid off
    The game you are making may not be the type you like. If you are very against this, don't apply.
    Structure is heavy, though I haven't seen big problem with it on my team yet

Leaving with benefits

I worked at Zynga

Pros

We were a bunch of gamers, be it console, social, computer or board games but with such diverse backgrounds and knowledge that you could easily learn a lot from the people sitting around you. Another huge benefit of the company was having access to food and coffee all the time, especially since you're working 8-15hr shifts. As a representative it was also a fantastic experience to work with teams outside the country and state to help our players or build towards a better game. I came out of the company with a better outlook on my position as someone from the CS org as well as build many skills to help me grow in any company. One last benefit was you have ownership and freedom to complete those tasks (within reason). It's nice to have that ability and experiment on your own without being a drone.

Cons

It was hard for the department to press forward because every time we thought we were pushing to something better things would get retracted to procedures that were done months or years back. As a company the departments just seem to be confused causing communication issues due to the disbursement or removal of teams. When issues like that arose the responsibility was never redistributed so it was a guessing game. After some time staffing also became a big issue which also contributed to communication issues with more confusion that left teams scrambling to establish the level of care and devotion to the games that use to exist. One other problem that could also be said for a lot of other companies is that the wrong kind of people were hired for particular positions. Their personalities and bad tastes for decisions left a division within teams.

Good

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Zynga at its early stage, a lot super brilliant and hard working people.
    Great benefits
    No need to get up too early to go to work. you can go in late and leave late.

Cons

Too much politics going on
    work & life balance was poor
    Too many poor decisions from management team
    Too many PMs and decision makers
    but despite all these, it is definitely one of the best places to work at in the gaming industry.

make good games

not good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only real perks include free junkfood, soda and liquor

Cons

Zynga pays far less than majority of their local competitors and does not seem to properly honor people's work experience. Many experienced employees are hired here and given a job title that does not reflect their resume. People in tech services departments are expected to work long hours so that deadlines will be met while management is off at happy hour, Giants games, etc. It's painfully apparent that Zynga will hire people who have virtually no technical skills as long as they have a reference. Furthermore, many people here are not personable and will often go to great lengths to avoid a face-to-face conversation.

Hire some managers who know what it means to lead a team. People will not give you 100% effort at work when you are underpaying them and allowing their managers/leads to work from home every day. Get rid of your review system and reward employees based on their contributions to projects.

Good people being worked to death

Former Employee - Producer
    Former Employee - Producer

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, incredible talent, and consistent raises

Cons

Super agile development leads to burnout and nepotism among management teams at least in my remote studio left entire team feeling unempowered

Better training for management, longer project cycles

Fun place to work if you can handle the stressful work environment

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast pace, Good salary pay, free foods and drinks, can bring dog to work, flexible work hours.

Cons

Bad work/life balance. Shift project priority all the times. High attrition rate.

Tiring.

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Awesome, intelligent people across the teams
    Good salaries, equity has atrophied
    Loss of top talent has left opportunities for quick advancement

Cons

Leadership is inconsistent and overpaid
    Very demanding on your life; often tired, stressed
    Many of the best people have left; constant attrition

Too slow in making games; inconsistent direction

A good place to work, but company needs to find its footing in the market again.

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People were friendly and fun to work with.
    Was treated well and valued by the company over all.
    Good pay overall as Senior -> Principal engineer role over time.

Cons

Weekly release feature cadence grinds could get pretty monotonous.
    Engineering work often degraded into repeated Actionscript3 and JSON for feature creation on web based games. Most engineers wanted newer challenges to tackle (understandably).
    Other peoples dogs barking and peeing under my desk repeatedly during work hours. (No I didn't have a dog.)

Create more opportunities to innovate and create truly unique products by the people doing the creating.

Great workplace

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of products to work on
    Great teams, and well balanced work environment
    Fun workplace, and a lot of opportunity for growth
    A lot of benefits, with many provided services

Cons

Every team seems to be working on their own,

Upper management should be more involved with the games