Zynga

Updated 19 December 2014
3.1

Zynga CEO Don Mattrick
Don Mattrick

Pros
  • Free food & stuff if that is important to you (in 57 reviews)

• Benefits, cool office environment, in house Gym, breakfast, lunch and dinner (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays (in 42 reviews)

• Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Allen, TX (US)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great benefits and a strong culture, plus competitive pay.

Cons

Work-life balance is a struggle to maintain

Didn't deliver on the promise

Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great Benefits, cool office, great food.

Cons

Product strategy is broken as they cancel more games than they release. Business thinking drives too much of the new product development and they end up with uninspiring fast-follow clones that they end up cancelling. This takes a toll on the creative people that they desperately need to be inspired. A good deal of the best people I worked with here have since left.

Find the balance between business and creative ideas.

enjoyed my time there

I worked at Zynga as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, free food, massages, acupuncture, reflexology, exciting company quarterly parties
    Fun people
    Felt like I was part of something growing

Cons

Your experience could vary enormously based on your role and your team, and how that fits into the company's priorities
    Many people look overworked

A company that made good on it's position to promote from within

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

You can work your way up in your own field, or even jump fields if you can prove yourself. There is a strong team feeling, and regular attempts to bring attention to people who were going the extra mile for the team. I have heard my managers making sure I have taken off enough time than be concerned with how much time I'm taking off. They want to keep their employees from burning out and make a concerted effort to encouraging a healthy work life balance as opposed to the 60+ hour weeks start ups are known for. Also, there benefits are awesome.

Cons

The company has changed over the years, which means you will find pockets of managers that don't follow the current direction of the company. Similarly games are often compared to the hits, so inexperienced managers try to push for hit numbers before their product is strong enough to support it.

Great in every way.

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food
    Nice Employees
    Atmospher is good.

Cons

Big company.
    Back breaking supervisors.

Get more intimate the employees.

Sr. software engineer (build & release)

I worked at Zynga

Pros

fun workplace; pure start-up culture; new technologies

Cons

no care to employee
    no work/life balance

leave if you can

Great culture with great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is fast paced and challenging, and very collaborative at the same time.
    You work with really bright people.

Cons

Too much free food (?)

Fun working on new game, not fun working on established game

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At the time the benefits were pretty good and the salary was nice. I met a lot of cool people working there at the time.

Cons

Working on well-established games is not fun. The code base is terrible and the amount of influence you will have as a programmer is 0.
    Working on a new game they made promises they couldn't keep regarding bonuses. Mislead us to believe our game would be a hit but it was actually the largest failure in Zynga history.

Good place for new grads to work and learn

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zynga full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Average engineers I know come in at 10, have 1 hour for lunch, have 1 hour for gym/dinner/break, and leave at 7. That's 7 hours of working time.
    During working hour the task is not compact. You can cost loosely.
    Can WFH any day
    Flexible holiday, not a fixed amount. As long as you have good performance and gives the team time to plan ahead.
    Can bring dogs, and almost 50% people bring dogs.
    Benefits are on bar with Internet companies, which means much higher than traditional game companies.
    The work you are working on is a game. Though it may not be the game you like to play, the process is the same. You can learn the inside out of how to make games. People around you are mostly veterans probably worked on games you love. And they are not super busy, you can learn tons from them.
    Culture is great, people here love great games and play, talk about them.

Cons

Risk of being laid off
    The game you are making may not be the type you like. If you are very against this, don't apply.
    Structure is heavy, though I haven't seen big problem with it on my team yet

Leaving with benefits

I worked at Zynga

Pros

We were a bunch of gamers, be it console, social, computer or board games but with such diverse backgrounds and knowledge that you could easily learn a lot from the people sitting around you. Another huge benefit of the company was having access to food and coffee all the time, especially since you're working 8-15hr shifts. As a representative it was also a fantastic experience to work with teams outside the country and state to help our players or build towards a better game. I came out of the company with a better outlook on my position as someone from the CS org as well as build many skills to help me grow in any company. One last benefit was you have ownership and freedom to complete those tasks (within reason). It's nice to have that ability and experiment on your own without being a drone.

Cons

It was hard for the department to press forward because every time we thought we were pushing to something better things would get retracted to procedures that were done months or years back. As a company the departments just seem to be confused causing communication issues due to the disbursement or removal of teams. When issues like that arose the responsibility was never redistributed so it was a guessing game. After some time staffing also became a big issue which also contributed to communication issues with more confusion that left teams scrambling to establish the level of care and devotion to the games that use to exist. One other problem that could also be said for a lot of other companies is that the wrong kind of people were hired for particular positions. Their personalities and bad tastes for decisions left a division within teams.