computech inc

Be The First To
Add Photos

James D Murphy Jr

Small Business King

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at computech inc full-time

ProsComputech is small in number of employees (approximately 150) but revenue is solid. This results in their overall good retention for IT consulting. It is important to note that their retention rate should only be benchmarked against other IT contractors in Washington DC. They have many consultants that have been with them 5+ years. This is rare for IT consulting. There are some solid IT professionals to mentor junior level employees. Computech is the prime on most of their contracts. They have been in business for over 30 years. 4 weeks PTO is something that most people love. Most of their contracts are centrally located in the Washington, DC area.

ConsComputech is as cliquish as a high school or college campus. The “In-crowd” and “Brown-nosers” have titles 1-2 levels higher than people with equivalent responsibilities at mid-sized companies. At one point, Computech had several employees with Project Manager titles that did not have enough years of experience to be Leads. In fact, for a few of them, Computech was the first and only company they worked for on an enterprise level out of college. If you are at a fortune 500 company and you are interviewing a manager from Computech, buyer beware. Make sure you drill down into their responsibilities to make sure the person is a Manager, Director, or Lead to a larger company’s standard. The in-crowd seems to have this notion that Computech is in competition with the top dogs in the industry, (i.e. SAIC, CACI, Lockheed, etc.). These companies have revenues in the billions and have over 10,000 employees. They are on a completely different level than Computech. Needless to say; if you do not brown nose your way into the in-crowd there is no upward mobility for you at Computech. The title of this review is “Small Business King” to put Computech in the proper perspective. Yes, they are small. All of their business is local to the Washington, DC metro area. If you want to work at a small business, Computech should be at the top of the list but don’t get it twisted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn it down a notch. The atmosphere has an over tone of people acting larger than they really are. Computech Inc. doesn’t have close to the status of the major players (Lockheed, CACI, SAIC, etc.). Be one of the few small businesses out there that are proud to be in the top of their league. Don’t be like the many small businesses that are always trying to be something they are not.

management out of touch, boring projects

Developer (Current Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at computech inc full-time for less than a year

Prosflexible schedule, 4 week paid time-off

Consno clear career path, boring projects, below average benefits package

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to understand what employees think

Private company with nominal career growth potential.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at computech inc full-time

ProsThe staff at the customer sites are very personable and friendly - friendships remain after leaving the company.

ConsNo overhead to support staff "on the bench". No clear career paths.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate appearance of preferential treatment of some staff over others that may be better suited to the work.

Revolving Door @ FCC Project in DC

Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at computech inc full-time for less than a year

ProsThe location and the customer was the best thing I experience while working with Computech.

ConsA lot of cliques, like you would find in a high school setting . Managers very unprofessional, more interested in where you purchase your attire than using the existing talent of the staff. The cliques were so ridiculous, that people were afraid to voice their opinions in meetings and in general for fear of being "outed" by the "in-group". In just a year, they was so many people that came and left. I can honestly recall one person resigning after a week of employment. Computech has a federal contract with FCC for years, and there are so many conflicts of interest its crazy. There is a Computech Manager that was once a FCC Branch Chief. It amazes me that they continue to win this contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementWiden the gap between the Professional and Personal you. Manage more and socialize less.

Very Knowledgeable and Challenging experience

Linux Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at computech inc

ProsGood and knowledgeable working environment

ConsManagement of the business needs some work

It's an ok place to work

I have been working at computech inc

ProsGreat people to work with.

Consneeds more resources within the facility.

Advice to Senior Managementthey're doing fine.

Review

Great Neck, NY (US)

I have been working at computech inc

ProsAn excellent place to grow. A nurturing environment which will allow your career to grow to it's greatest and fullest potential.

ConsIt took me a while to think of how I could capture my thoughts on the feedback I would provide.

Advice to Senior ManagementI came to one conclusion, that I wanted to echo the sentiments of many forming one cohesive thought process which

Worked for computech inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at computech inc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for computech inc CEO James D Murphy Jr. All 7 reviews are posted anonymously by computech inc employees.