hmv

Add Photos

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Overall happy

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Heathrow, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and events eg. Conferences

ConsMust always keep up to date with new releases for films, music and tech, easy for full timers, more difficult for part timers.

Sounds like fun?

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at hmv full-time for more than a year

Pros+ It's nice to be working with what I love as my enthusiasm for the product is genuine and I feel that the customers recognise this.

+ The staff discount, although its not that much, is very handy, especially for birthdays/Christmas.

+ A lot of the staff on my level are very friendly and have a genuine love of what they sell.

Cons- The store manager uses fear as their primary motivational tool.

- The management are always in contradiction with one another so you're ALWAYS going against someone's instructions.

- No regard for illness or pain when tasks are being delegated. I've often complained of my injuries being made worse by my work, only to be offered no sympathy. I'm currently very ill but I fear the consequences of taking time off.

- Disproportionate punishments follow menial crimes. For example, an employee is awaiting a disciplinary hearing for going to meet a friend outside of work hours to ask a favour of them when he was off sick. He received a barrage of verbal abuse from the manager for this.

- The store is absolutely FILTHY. No-one reports the store to environmental health as they fear being fired. There was a dead mouse in the audio department for a VERY long time and mice regularly eat the confectionary that's for sale. The half-eaten treats are removed rather than the whole batch. I die a little inside every time a customer buys a chocolate bar. The staff kitchen areas are disgusting and rodent-infested and I refuse to eat or prepare food in them. It's also so dusty that my hands are black after half an hour of work. Disgusting.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place needs a massive overhaul in the way in which it's managed, starting with respect and decency towards its employees. If I didn't have to worry about my wife and forthcoming family prospects, I'd leave right now. It's sad, because I spent my teenage years dying to work in HMV only to find out how awful it is to work there. I hope other stores fare better.

Nightmarish void where souls were sold for company profit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

Prosyou met awesome people (both other employees that you worked with and the occasional famous person), the discount was alright

Conscorporate office down to managers were incredibly pushy with sales and would write you up for not up-selling products at cash, the stores are always a mess, the overhead radio plays all of twenty songs over and over again until you've gone crazy, the customers are rude, the backrooms are chaotic and dangerously messy, hard to take time off, hours are always being cut, no benefits for a full year (even if you are full time)

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating your employees like garbage - brand loyalty is not established with pushy sales people that are constantly terrified that they'll lose their jobs for not selling enough product

Wamp wamp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

ProsHmv has a flexible for staff if you are a music/dvd lover you find some good obscure stuff. Managers usually try to accomodate you as best as you can.

ConsHigher ups at HMV didn't adapt and see the changes coming and now place is going under. Most senior staff saw it for a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould listen to staff and adapt to trends quicker and faster. Might be too late but good luck to HMV.

Very supportive company and very willing to give opportunities

I have been working at hmv

ProsOne of the best reasons to work for HMV group is the support for going into professional qualifications such as ACCA

ConsOnce professional qualifications are complete at HMV, there may not be open vacancies within the organisation to progress into a more senior role

Advice to Senior ManagementHMV leadership is very good ideas and always looking forward, constantly keep employees aware of the plans of the company

not good!

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at hmv

ProsThere' access to great music, movies, cd, dvd, blu-rays, just about anyting you want ot watch or listen to you can find it at hmv

Consthey don't really treat their employees that well, and there isn't really any room for improvement or any place to move up to

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys should make employee communication more easy and foster that kind of relationship instead of just bashing everyone around

very fun but forget about advancing

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

Pros-very friendly people
-discount (supplier cost, items become very cheap)
-flexible when asking for days off
-flexible around your availability
-managers become your friends

Cons-lack of appreciation from managers
-favouritism
-can get very boring on most night shifts

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate ALL your workers.

Cool place to work

Shop Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at hmv

ProsI get to know about all the latest news in music and movies and they let me be creative with my appearance good place to work and grow as an employee.

ConsSometimes the work is a bit dull and the customers can be difficult to deal with. Long shifts around Xmas time and Easter.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training opportunities in store and bonuses for good employees. I would like to work my way up to the top so Id appreciate if there was the possibility to do so.

Good job, crazy hours

Store Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGood Benefits
Good discounts
Opportunity for advancement
Up to date with music, movies & other entertainment
Get to sell great music to the masses

ConsLong hours
Monthly set-ups of restocking/changing sale sections
Constant moving/price changing/re-merchandising of product
Endless promotions to memorize sale procedures for
Working Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Boxing Day, all at unreasonable hours of the morning/night

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a leader and it's hard work to try and keep up with all the bullcrap that is HMV. A leader has to be very much dedicated to this company and all the work that surrounds selling cds/dvd's and whatever else. It's nuts i tells ya.

It's a job

Stock Clerk (Former Employee)
Pickering, ON (Canada)

I worked at hmv

ProsIt's a comfortable pace, you get to work around a music minded environment, helping people find the newest Celine Dion album is ultra rewarding.

ConsMinimum wage jobs suck. You are in a busy mall over the holidays earning only enough money to get yourself home on the bus and if lucky a meal while you are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what you do... taking advantage of consumers with your overpriced, outdated technology.

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by hmv employees.