hmv

hmv CEO Trevor Moore

Trevor Moore

Fallen Giant - Still Falling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than a year

ProsRelatively flexible shift pattern, staff discount on products, great camaraderie, relatively good prospects if you are willing to move to the other end of the country and are fanatical about HMV

ConsRegional management live on a different planet - management visits degenerate into turning the store into an ideal homes exhibition to match the pictures in the "handbook" (right down to the sticker drawer in the stock room). Not allowed a modicum of independent thought due to aforementioned "handbook" and centralised strategies. Working for the company is akin to joining a cult, if HMV is not THE all powerful obsession in your life - then expect limited to no job progression whatsoever. If you are lucky enough to progress - be prepared to be moved at a moments notice to other stores (i.e. you work in Scotland and are promoted to assistant manager at the other end of the country) and then maybe be told three months later that store is being closed due latest re-structuring. If you are lucky enough to get onto some kind of staff training other than handbook assimilation - expect that also to be cancelled without warning - successfully entered the graduate scheme only for it to be cancelled within a month and offered an inferior training position in its place (also in turn cancelled). For a company that had such a strong market position and with employees passionate about the products they sell it is a true disappointment that this was not being capitalised by the captains running the ship. Oh and they saw Digital and Online (iTunes et al) gunning for them for a long time and left it too late.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and allow the true talent (rather than the latest round of robots fresh out of conditioning school) to shine. Alas - too late - The ship sank last year and is now being rationalised (i.e. being gutted). A real shame for such an iconic brand.

Games and Technology Seasonal Colleague

I worked at hmv

Pros- Decent pay compared to other
- Good if you have an interest in Tech and Games

Cons- None in Particular To be Honest

DIFFICULT TIMES

London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you love music, it is an interesting place to work

ConsMoney difficulties
Will it or won't it survive?

Fun Job

Key Holder (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at hmv part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, my love for music was supported, great customers, passion for what I sold

ConsNo room for advancement. I was with the company for 3 years, and was sent to help run other stores. I was constantly give hope that I would advance, but nothing ever came up.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict Managers, Regional Managers, HO staff - Treat your store staff better. Dont take them for granted. A little encouragement goes a long way.

Bit like a Cattle market

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWould like to say but Isnt any

ConsWell Not the best Wages

Advice to Senior Management.....

Seasonal Customer Sales Assistant

Plymouth, England (UK)

I worked at hmv full-time for less than a year

ProsThe working environment was really good, a lot of the employees were around my age (Early 20's), we also all had a shared interest in Film, Music and some of us games.

Management broke the day up into hour blocks, so you could be on tills for an hour and then be on queue patrol. I think this was a good idea because it kept the day interesting and I didnt get bored doing the same job for 8 hours straight.

There was also the opportunity for overtime. I was employed over Christmas, so I don't know how much overtime is available all year round.

ConsYou were constantly under pressure to push sales, I know understand this is because they were going into administration.

Good experience

Chatham, England (UK)

I worked at hmv part-time for more than a year

Prosthe staff... NOT the suits upstairs

Consthe suits upstairs dont exactly care about those in the shops

Advice to Senior Management-

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern

Commercial and Retail Finance Intern (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at hmv as an intern for more than a year

ProsFriendly team and company
Great office
Good benefits and freebies

Really enjoyed the year I was at HMV the team I was in was really helpful and friendly. Really sad that they went into administration, I hope they survive and start to get stronger.

ConsTimes I werent doing much

Interesting

I worked at hmv

ProsVery very very nice music.

ConsOther employees were sometimes unhelpful.

Great untill the money ran out

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at hmv full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat to work for largely with some great perks

ConsTreated poorly upon entering administration

Worked for hmv? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hmv reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for hmv CEO Trevor Moore. All 23 reviews are posted anonymously by hmv employees.