iRobot

www.irobot.com

iRobot Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot – Bedford – “View from outside the iRobot headquarter office…”

iRobot Chairman and CEO Colin M. Angle

Colin M. Angle

Pros
  • Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules (in 5 reviews)

• Get to work with cutting edge technology (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Many managers tend to micromanage thus becoming an irritant (in 4 reviews)

• t know how to motivate or retain top talent (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The best place to learn

Technical Intern (Former Employee) Mysore

ProsGood team, access to latest technology, awesome robots

ConsThe company should have retained this office

Advice to Senior Management-None-

iRobot is Awesome

EE Intern (Former Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsVery nice people and a great company culture

ConsSome of the ME engineers expect the interns to put in more hours then they are compensated for.

Great Learning experience

Senior Reliability Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsGreat technology, great people and a fast paced environment.

ConsDifficult for people who do not have a start up mentatlity

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work. Keep it up

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best employer of all those at which I have worked.

SQA (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsEncourages employees. No blame games. Cutting edge jobs & technology. Fantastic benefits. Great work/life balance including fairly flexible work schedules. Many educational opportunities. Generous community activities (huge supporter of FIRST & related activities). Completely a team atmosphere, no empire building.

ConsHard to move laterally (small company)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, fantastic employee-centric atmosphere. Encourage lateral moves where possible to support career growth.

Best Internship program in the planet. Disorganized and contentious workplace

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe internship program is indeed world class. The interns are involved in varying activities and projects on a daily basis. The lead intern (on a second tour) acts like a manager and runs the intern program.

ConsThe roles and reponsibilities are not well defined and leave a wide range of lattitude to perform the tasks that you like to perform. However, making the various stakeholders (program mgmt, product mgmt, engineering, etc..) satisified is very difficult because the daily tasks and goals are not well defined. Therefore, agressive and contentious employees achieve at the expense of more proficient people who want to act as part of a team. I asked my manager which tasks I should work on. The repsonse was that the manager was uncertain as to the responsibiliities for supporting the other finctionalities (program mgmt, etc...).

Advice to Senior ManagementPut in an internal audit system and continuous improvement system so that the very smart poeple that are hired can help to improve the processes and systems in the company. Otherwise the company will eventually fail when they do not replace the ROOMBA cash cow.

I'm still here

Senior, Engineer (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsBenefits, and I get to work with some very bright people. Occasionally some interesting projects materialize.

ConsAdvancement is not based on your ability, skill, or contributions. Rather it is based on your friendships and out of work activities. I was told by management that i should spend less time with my kids and more time participating in after work functions, I should choose between my family or my career.
    Management does not respect the input from experienced people and usually prefers to explore the wrong direction on things, then after the time and budget is expended may consider the advice of more experienced input. Makes you wonder why profits are not what they could be.
    Upper level management seems to have many secret agenda and the workforce feels disconnected, even when they do share something most people feel they are not completely truthful.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean your house out, some of your Managers/Directors need to be shown the door, bring in some experienced people and let them get the job done without the micromanagement and other hobbles you have in place now,

Interesting, diverse, disappointing, uninspiring

ProsHalf-day Fridays for the summer. Beer cart. Exceptionally good marketing team. People don’t work as hard as those at other companies I’ve worked at.

ConsLip service to individual performance and skills. No value associated with capabilities beyond specific job description. Limited opportunities for internal growth unless you are personal friends with upper management. Continual layoffs for the last 3 years. Don’t know how to motivate or retain top talent … the reason for so many openings. Not a state-of-the-art company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the technical staff and not the support staff are the life blood of the company.

Too unorganized...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeer cart, Fun people...that's it.

ConsYou'll NEVER be appreciated for what you do for the company. Highly invisible and too many layers. Everyone seems to be "Senior or Principle Engineer", too many managers/Sr. manager/directors. They are about to be beaten-up by Korean competitors. The only thing iRobot has ever made is it's roomba - everything else is just copy. So unimaginative. If you really care for the company you work for, this is not the place for you, as the company will never care back. People are burdened to death, with no career growth!
    HR is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare for the people who contribute towards your success EVERYDAY.

Fun Jobs, Odd Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone there loves what they're doing. You will probably never find another place so full of people who love their jobs so much. That alone makes it a cool culture. There are a lot of innovations and very cool things to work on from the mechanical to electrical to software.

ConsThey aren't the most software-friendly environment. The founders were mostly mechanical in disciplines, so software scheduling is sometimes a little bizarre. Software decisions are often made on history, not necessarily what's good going forward and you end up stuck with those decisions (as does the company).

Overall, they have the worst IT support on the planet. The individual workers are really good, positive and helpful, but the structure is horrific. Makes the environment limiting and difficult to get technical things done. Too bad, because the team on the ground is high-quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around. Get back to your roots. There are so many innovators in this company, use them to innovate.

Fix IT support's mission. Look at the little things, free up people to be more productive.

Great engineers, poor program management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bedford, MA (US)

ProsA lot of high skilled and talented employees in ALL areas
    Great pay and benefits
    Wonderful vacation time

ConsReally odd purchasing process, take way to long to buy something
    Different organizational units are completely out of sync
    This company of 600 is run likes it's a company of 100,000, NGC/Lockheed and Boeing are more efficient and have less red tape
    Program management here is very weird, extremely inefficient, can't seem to make decisions. Everyone is passing the buck.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be Google and be iRobot

Worked for iRobot? Contribute to the Community!