What does a Senior Medical Science Liaison do?
Medical science liaisons work in a specialized role within healthcare fields including pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical devices. They possess a concentration on a specific therapeutic area, including oncology or cardiology. They are responsible for establishing relationships with leading physicians, researchers, and clinicians, who are the key opinion leaders at academic institutions, hospitals, and pharmaceutical companies.
Medical science liaisons ensure products are used effectively and serve as scientific resources and experts who advise on upcoming advances and treatments while providing input about relevant scientific and clinical data. They respond to requests for information and provide training to sales and marketing teams when appropriate, they analyze clinical trends and practices and host advisory boards. They utilize their research and communication skills and provide doctors and other interested parties with information about new medical products. Medical science liaisons need a doctorate and a background in clinical research experience and relevant industry and related product knowledge.
- Conduct ongoing training to medical affairs, field sales and other internal personnel as directed.
- Support unsolicited research requests and facilitate discussion between investigators and R&D.
- Serve as a scientific resource to commercial partners, as appropriate, to support activities.
- Responsible for the delivery of care, treatment, and referrals.
- Identify, establish, and maintain scientific relationships with opinion leaders regarding disease-state and product-specific information.
- Input and maintain internal database as it relates to activities in their geography.
- Conduct targeted research projects to inform market assessments, clinical development plans, and business development.
- Maintain annual expenses within assigned budget parameters.
- Responsible for accurate and timely documentation of above activities.
- Provide high level support for company sponsored trials and aides in navigating investigator-initiated research proposals through the review process.
- Strategically approach territory management and adjusts strategy and tactics as directed.
- Review sources and research citations and provide alternatives, if necessary.
- Identify barriers to patient enrollment and retention efforts to achieve study milestones.
- Document and forward reports of adverse events according to policy to ensure safe and effective use of products.
- Liaise between the scientific community and the company to enhance the comprehension of scientific foundations and goals for approved, in-development, and active company-sponsored trials and/or investigator-sponsored research studies.
- Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in accounting, business, marketing or life sciences, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated product knowledge and business acumen.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and critical thinking skills.
- Comfortable making decisions and leading with confidence.
- Familiar with nanostructures and clinical practices.
- Is a problem solver and leader and can collaborate.
- Sound attention to details.
- Prior consulting experience.
- A negotiator with a sound understanding of pipelines and writing protocols.
- Will run site evaluations and disseminate information.
Senior Medical Science Liaison Salaries
Average Base Pay
Senior Medical Science Liaison Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior Medical Science Liaison, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Senior Medical Science Liaison Insights
“There is amazing opportunity to see some really interesting things that are not normally witnessed that patients are experiencing medically.”
“Work life balance is not the best although the company is trying to support it with different initiatives”
“Great and excellent place to work.”
“Good good good good good”
“Pay is good but not that much hike”
“Training and personal development focus”
“less drug pipeline and no career development at tier”
“excellent place to work and healthy working relation”
Senior Medical Science Liaison Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior Medical Science Liaison
When working as a Senior Medical Science Liaison, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are PharmD PHD, Advanced Degree, Leadership, Consulting and Office Applications.
- Physician Advisor
- Medical Manager