What does an Electronics Design Engineer do?
Electronics engineers design and develop electronic equipment including broadcast and communication systems and portable music players, Global Positioning Systems devices. If they work for the federal government, they research, develop, and evaluate electronic devices used in areas including aviation, computing, and transportation. They work on federal electronic devices and systems, including satellites, flight systems, and communication systems.
Electronics engineers analyze customer needs to determine requirements, capacity, and cost to develop an electrical system plan. They evaluate systems and develop maintenance and testing procedures for specific electronic components and equipment. They recommend design modifications or equipment repairs where applicable. They inspect electronic equipment, instruments, and systems to ensure they meet safety standards and applicable regulations and develop applications and modifications for electronic properties to improve their technical performance. Electronics engineers need a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, electronics engineering, or a related engineering field through ABET accreditation.
- Participate in lab activities such as system bring-up, system testing and debugging, stress/long duration tests, etc.
- Develop and perform operational, maintenance, and testing procedures for electronic products, components, equipment, and systems.
- Design and develop board level test equipment and test programs.
- Management of cost, schedule, and risk of a product development.
- Write design documentation, test reports and other technical documents when appropriate.
- Conduct trade studies, identify and present alternate design options.
- Ensure the front office has an accurate understanding of current, pending and proposed regulatory developments as they arise.
- Serve as an electrical electronics lead and primary technical resource on integrated project teams (IPT).
- Train engineering, production and service staff on fundamental concepts and troubleshooting of new designs
- Develop mechanisms for monitoring project progress and for intervention and problem solving with project managers, line managers and customers is within scope for this role.
- Utilize SPICE for circuit modeling and system design verification.
- Identify, define and characterize development-related programmatic and technical risks, provide the evidence-based rationale for this and recommend mitigation for informed management decisions.
- Coordinate with members of multi functional teams to develop innovative solutions for implementation of electrical design with the greater electro-mechanical and propulsion system.
- Engage with internal audit and other control functions regarding business-driven supervisory oversight.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in computer engineering, computer science, or science Degree.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with PCB Design, C, MATLAB, FPGA, and LTSPICE.
- Experience with firmware, circuit board design, and schematic capture.
- A leader and problem solver.
- Fluent in writing protocols and board design.
- Demonstrated skills in calculus and statistics.
- Experience with Altium Designer and Verilog.
- Comfortable with debugging as needed.
Electronics Design Engineer Salaries
Average Base Pay
Electronics Design Engineer Career Path
Learn how to become an Electronics Design Engineer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Electronics Design Engineer Insights
“There is little to no work life balance as you are always expected to work against impossible deadlines.”
“Parking is dangerously packed and difficult.”
“Good great fabulous wonderful awesome”
“excellent very gooD it is the best place to look”
“They give you the best quality and the right salary”
“Good good good good good”
“Verry nice work life balance is possible”
“Late night work and no cab facility”
Electronics Design Engineer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Electronics Design Engineer
- Controls Engineer
- Electrical Designer
- Electrical Engineer
- Maintenance Technician