What does an Elementary School Teacher do?
An elementary school teacher is responsible for creating a welcoming classroom environment. They are responsible for creating and executing lesson plans in the classroom. A few of the main duties of an elementary school teacher are creating and editing lesson plans, enforcing classroom and school rules, observe and evaluate student performance, and grade homework and tests. They also have to keep parents updated on their children. Some of the jobs titles that an elementary school teacher could grow into are principal and vice principal.
An elementary school teacher should have 2 years of experience in teaching and a Master's degree in teaching. One of the most important skills that an elementary school teacher will have is their ability to control a classroom. Another skill is empathy as the elementary school teacher will need to relate to their students. They also need to be able to report their classroom progress to the principal and vice principal.
- Keep the classroom under control
- Develop lesson plans
- Establish and enforce a set of rules for the classroom
- Keep parents updated on their child's progress
- Prepare students for standardized tests
- Monitor the halls in between classes
- Encourage students to learn as much as they can
- Recognize problematic behavior in students
- Master's degree in teaching
- Empathy to care for students
- Ability to control a classroom
- Great scheduling ability
- Great organizational skills
- Great communication and listening skills
- Ability to communicate issues to parents
- State teaching certification
- Ability to get the most out of any student
Elementary School Teacher Salaries near India
There are no current reports for Elementary School Teacher salaries. You can add additional job titles in your job preferences to see related salary information.
Elementary School Teacher Career Path
Learn how to become an Elementary School Teacher, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Elementary School Teacher Insights
“Everyone wanted to help everyone and it was very nice as a first year teacher.”
“23 and now is July and I don’t know if I will be getting a salary increase or just nothing.”
“The previous head teacher was really hard to work with and what I understood the next one is no better by rarely supporting teaching staff.”
“People are nice and helpful.”
“i cant find any pros other than i get payed at the end of the week”
“Good benefit and okay paid annually”
“Nice friendly environment close to nature.”
“My classes have such low enrollments that I am unable to get even minimum wage per hour any more.”
Elementary School Teacher Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Elementary School Teacher
- Substitute Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- Social Studies Teacher