What does a Functional Analyst do?
Functional analysts provide advice and fact-based assessments related to technological tools or programs and their ability to solve particular business needs. They generally specialize in a certain product line or type of technology. They evaluate the needs and objectives of an organization or client, and offer guidance as to the best solutions to accomplish those outcomes. They often employ data analytics and research to provide recommendations and design configurations.
Functional analysts typically have a bachelor’s degree in a computer science field. They have a background in software development, tech support, or a technology integration role. They must have in-depth expertise of the programs and systems in their specialty area, and be knowledgeable about the process of integrating various tools to work together. These roles require excellent communication skills and analytical abilities.
- Respond to and resolve system failures and performance issues.
- Appropriately communicate project status, escalate issues, and manage timelines and action items.
- Act as an advocate for the client.
- Support clients on CRM standards and prepare them for using their CRM solution by setting training programs and redefining new roles and responsibilities.
- Analyze customers' business requirements and tailor the use of the system to meet those objectives.
- Manage communications, scheduling, and logistics for ERP specific projects.
- Actively drive issue resolution and closely monitor its progress.
- Collaborate with vendor support on the resolution applications issues and system problems.
- Design, develop, and produce detailed, standard and ad hoc reports.
- Participate in pre-sales activities and internal initiatives as required.
- Prepare design documents and other technical documentation to support the business application.
- Communicate with external vendors and conduct joint solution review.
- Demonstrated ability to review analytic products for cogent arguments, tradecraft standards, and adequate support for conclusions. routinely tests analytic rigor of analytic products.
- Recommend and implement effective uses of technology to support these processes.
- Develop, document, and maintain best practices, project standards, procedures, application, quality objectives and 'lessons learned', including metrics for assess.
- Analyze, design, construct, test, and implement system or application enhancements.
- Guide technical team to deliver a flexible and scalable solution.
- Ensure instructional materials are accurate. Provide subject matter expertise and support for end user training delivery.
- Resolve complex customer issues by recommend and implementing solutions.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business, computer science, information systems or information technology, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Oracle Applications, ipps-a, Golive, Agile, SAP Functional, SQL, Cloud, and D365 systems and software.
- Leadership and problem solving skills.
- Fluent in business process analysis and software development life cycles.
- Can collaborate with others for tasks and projects.
- Experience with General Ledger.
- Demonstrated skill with scripting and interfaces.
Functional Analyst Salaries
Average Base Pay
Functional Analyst Career Path
Learn how to become a Functional Analyst, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Functional Analyst Insights
“I really appreciated what the company and the amazing colleagues have done and I wish them the best.”
“good work and life balance”
“No career advancement and development”
“Encourages Learning and skill development”
“GOOD WORK LIFE BALANCE AND COMPENSATION”
“1. Offers excellent opportunity to work and develop one's leadership skill”
“Don't receive the best holiday and PTO benefits.”
“Good people and do their best to help you grow.”
Functional Analyst Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Functional Analyst
- IT Consultant
- Information Technology Manager
- Systems Analyst