What does a Graphic Designer do?
Graphic designers use their artistic abilities to communicate ideas, inform consumers, and solve problems. From the layout of a website to large images seen on billboards, graphic designers create visual concepts by hand or by computer to help others interpret the world around them through color, texture, images, and symbols. Graphic designers can be found in many industries and may be responsible for all aspects of a company's design process, or they might specialize in a particular field such as advertising, digital design, illustration, or branding. Some work independently as freelancers, while others are part of a design studio, a creative agency, or a corporate company.
Most graphic design positions require at least a Bachelor's degree in graphic design or a related field. However, graphic designers need creativity first and foremost, as well as knowledge of the industry's standard software.
- Create and design various materials for print and digital collateral
- Ensure projects are completed with high quality and on schedule
- Establish creative direction for the company as well as brand guidelines
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions
- Perform retouching and manipulation of images
- Work with a wide range of media and use graphic design software
- Bachelor's degree in graphic arts, design, communications, or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in graphic design
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, print, and the web
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred
- Knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, Sketch, InDesign, and other graphic design software
- Compelling portfolio of work over a wide range of creative projects
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent eye for detail
Graphic Designer Salaries near India
Average Base Pay
Graphic Designer Career Path
Learn how to become a Graphic Designer, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Graphic Designer Insights
“One of the best things about Storybuilt is being able to work on some unique and fun projects.”
“Great team of artists; everyone is highly skilled and eager to get the job done.”
“I would highly recommend others to apply and work in this awesome and fun workplace.”
“plenty for my career and my team managers taught me a lot and worked as a great team on higher”
“It is a Great Place to work and they pay good remuneration as per skill / knowledge”
“type agency like this (and I've worked for others) is pretty amazing.”
“There is no job security here no matter how well you do your job or how hard you work.”
“Management is amazing has been great to work with when things pop up in my personal life.”
Graphic Designer Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of graphic designers
Graphic designers use their creative skills to work on projects that convey information using visual concepts with words, art, and photos. They create artwork, layouts, and visual aesthetics for digital or print content by hand or with special computer software programs.
Graphic design is a great career for those with creative talents, as companies will always need graphic designers to create their corporate image and marketing materials. Magazines also rely heavily on graphic design teams. Graphic design is often at the forefront of a brand's image.
Graphic designers do get paid well. The average base pay for a graphic designer in the United States is ₹49,500 per year. Those in more senior positions or those employed at elite organizations can earn up to ₹90,000 per year.
Being a graphic designer is not generally a hard job, as they often get a great deal of artistic freedom. However, the nature of design approval is subjective, and some projects will have tight deadlines, which can result in increased pressure.