What does a Hotel Manager do?
As the hotel manager you will be responsible for creating and maintaining a guest experience in line with the Corporate mission and vision. You will be responsible for hiring, training and mentoring Managers in Housekeeping, Food & Beverage, Front Desk, Security and Parking. Under your guidance the hotel will have guest information safeguarded and the property and grounds will be maintained.
An ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in hospitality management or a closely related field, required with 5+ years of experience working in a hotel. You will have previous experience as a Manager in a key role within a mid-size hotel chain. You must be willing to undergo a background check as part of the hiring process.
- Hire, train and mentor Managers in key areas
- Create a culture in line with the Hotels' corporate values and mission
- Develop and follow P&L goals
- Ensure a clean, safe and welcoming environment for guests
- Meet quarterly goals set by Corporate
- Maintain hotel and grounds
- Oversee training program for hotel staff
- Safeguard property in concert with Security team
- 5+ years of experience working in a hotel
- Previous experience as a Manager in a key role within a mid-size hotel chain
- Ability to pass a background check
- Basic computer skills
- Proficiency in reservation software
- Experience with budgets over $1M
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to successfully lead a team in the hotel industry
Hotel Manager Salaries
Average Base Pay
Hotel Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Hotel Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Hotel Manager Insights
“Some of the people that work there are great but the upper leadership are not people anyone wants to work with.”
“Good money it you do takeout too because then you get tips and bring home at least $200 extra a week.”
“I felt that they truly cared about me and what was best for my career.”
“I wrote my Engine room rating and It gave me a raise of about $1.17.”
“Great fun upbeat entertaining awesome”
“Working with Dogs and Cats is really great”
“Good career progression and that’s because a lot of people left”
“Best place to work and manage well”
Hotel Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of hotel managers
A hotel manager oversees the everyday operations of a hotel, managing the needs of the guests and overseeing the staff who work at the facility. They may also play a role in the marketing and financial aspects of the business.
Hotel management is a good career for those with strong people skills and the ability to stay calm when under pressure. Working in the hospitality industry offers many opportunities for growth, as well as travel perks and other appealing benefits.
Yes, hotel managers can earn a high salary with minimal education requirements. The average base salary for a hotel manager is ₹30,262 per year. Experience is highly valued in the industry, so more experienced managers can earn more money. Those working in more expensive areas, such as major metropolitan areas, may also qualify for higher pay.
Hotel management can be challenging, particularly since the job often requires working outside of normal business hours. Individuals may work during events in the evening hours or on the weekends. Working as a hotel manager also requires excellent communication and problem solving skills as it involves interacting with unhappy customers or difficult staff members.