What does an Insurance Sales Agent do?
Insurance sales agents sell a variety of insurance products and services. They respond to inquiries, provide rate estimates, and explain policy types and coverage information. They write policies and assist customers in signing up for coverage, ensuring customers select policies that will meet their needs. They offer advice and guidance, and suggest packages that combine multiple insurance types for maximum savings and comprehensive coverage. Agents also provide ongoing support and guidance for existing customers and may assist with the filing of claims.
Insurance sales agents often have a bachelor’s degree in a business field and commonly have a background in insurance or sales roles. These roles also usually involve licensing requirements. In-depth knowledge of insurance basics and regulations is helpful. Strong sales capabilities and good communication skills are also an asset.
- Ability to rotate and organize products, perform job duties as needed and complete necessary paperwork.
- Work to establish and meet marketing goals.
- Use a customer-focused, needs-based review process to educate customers about insurance options.
- Prepare (trim, crisp, package, scale, etc.) all products according to established standards and quality goals.
- Greet and assist customers with locating and selecting products.
- Meet and exceed sales goals through new product sales, cross selling and retention of current customers.
- Receive customer payments, issue receipts and verify balance/daily reports of receipts for cash drawers.
- Develop leads, schedule appointments, identify customer needs, and market appropriate products and services.
- Provide general clerical and administrative support to staff including handling inbound and outbound phone calls, reports, filing, research and gather information, and maintain, overall appearance of sales office.
- Remain current in product changes, licensing, technical developments, and continuing education.
- Remain active in the industry and in respective area and trade associations.
- Monitor key competitors in the local market area and making suggestions on initiatives that could improve position in the marketplace.
- Provide the opportunity for motivated individuals to obtain industry experience working in a sales and customer support role while preparing and training to become licensed.
- Develop product knowledge in various areas of the department.
- Team up with co-workers to ensure proper customer service.
- Strive for productive relationships to create a pool of prospective clients from various sources by networking, cold calling, using referrals etc.
- Prepare and send information to customers and lien holders.
- Develop marketing strategies and promote all type of new insurance contracts or suggest additions/changes to existing ones.
- Stay abreast and informed of product availability for the team from both current and future providers.
- Bachelor's or Graduate's Degree in business or marketing.
- Experience with designated software and systems such as spreadsheets and Google Suite.
- Is a leader and problem solver with strict attention to detail.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Has a sound work ethic and strong people skills.
Insurance Sales Agent Salaries near India
Average Base Pay
Insurance Sales Agent Career Path
Learn how to become an Insurance Sales Agent, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Insurance Sales Agent Insights
“You get to work with outstanding Carriers and there are passionate and good people here!”
“I have a great boss I love my line of work and helping others I’m good at sales and customer service”
“I enjoy working here because I am not micromanaged and my boss is very personable.”
“Good people … older workers less work and you get to work at your own pace”
“Excellent delivery of services to Clients Good knowledge of the insurance industry Negotiation of the best terms and premiums”
“If you get good the pay is great and you are can decide your schedule.”
“This head manager was so rude and condescending I packed my stuff up and left.”
“It is 100% commission based and training (2 weeks) is not paid.”
Insurance Sales Agent Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of an Insurance Sales Agent
- Sales Representative
- Sales Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Regional Sales Manager