What does a Journalist do?
As a Journalist in a small market you will provide stories on local and regional interest. You will conduct yourself with the highest level of professionalism and demonstrate ethical behavior in all interactions with the public and the news staff. You need to be a creative, dynamic team player who will uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity.
You could be an ideal candidate if you hold a bachelor's degree in journalism or broadcast communications with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a small market on a news program. You need to be familiar with APA style and be comfortable behind and in front of the camera. You need to feel comfortable working in all weather conditions covering stories and conducting research and remain impartial when asking probing questions. You need to conduct local and regional travel up to 75% of the time.
- Meet daily broadcast deadlines
- Research and submit story ideas at daily meetings
- Conduct unbiased and ethical reporting
- Represent the news channel in a professional manner
- Work collaboratively as part of the broadcast team
- Develop local sources for stories
- Write and revise news copy for broadcast under tight deadlines
- Travel throughout the local market to investigate and report on approved stories
- 2+ experience on in a small market on a news program
- Familiar with AP style
- Comfortable in front of and behind the camera
- Willing to work in all weather conditions covering stories & conducting research
- Experience meeting daily deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Superior presentation skills
- Able to remain impartial while asking probing questions
- Willing to travel up to 75% of the time
Journalist Salaries near India
Average Base Pay
Journalist Career Path
Learn how to become a Journalist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
“You'll be part of a staff where many take their jobs and career development seriously”
“Lost creativity and freedom resulted to lost motivation and interest in doing our jobs well.”
“Independent media company which is focusing on personal development and freedom of creating beutiful content.”
“It is a nice place to work and allows you to work with freedom and supports your initiatives.”
“I had the opportunity to work with China Plus as a freelance journalist and it was a great experience.”
“If you like sitting at a computer for 8 hours and sorting docs this is a great job for you.”
“Good experience out of college Get to go to live sports games Solid pay per game”
“It was quite apparent to me that this was a psychological ploy to boost morale.”
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of journalists
Journalists research local or regional events, gather information, interview sources, and correlate all the information into a professionally written news story. These individuals must be strong storytellers, as their stories are typically produced and published in written, video, or audio format.
Journalism is a good career for those with an inquisitive nature who enjoy researching and writing stories that will interest their readers. Good journalists are always highly sought after and there are many interesting and exciting aspects to the job.
Successful journalists are well paid, and the average base pay for a journalist in the United States is ₹49,302. The entry level salary is ₹25,246 per year, but top journalists or journalists for high-profile companies can earn an excess of ₹77,224.
Working as a journalist can be a challenging job, but it is very rewarding. Journalists must be tenacious and diligent in their research of facts to ensure accuracy. They may spend a lot of time chasing leads and keeping to urgent deadlines.