What does a Lab Manager do?
Lab managers ensure a laboratory operates smoothly by scheduling staff, reordering supplies, and maintaining all security protocols and standards. They utilize managerial skills, and lab safety know-how to ensure laboratories are safe and continue to operate without a hiccup. They take responsibility for all aspects at the lab, which includes tracking and monitoring equipment, watching out for employees, monitoring and replenishing supplies, software security, and documentation of events.
Lab managers also train lab technicians and assistants on the correct use of equipment and mentor and discipline lab staff when necessary. They ensure their employees follow industry standards and safety regulations for the handling and disposal of test samples. They maintain a schedule that tracks lab equipment used and time for staff members, and they are responsible for purchasing lab supplies or preparing an ordering list. They often handle security documents and ensure all information and data collected in the lab is kept safe. Lab managers need a bachelor's degree in business, management, or related fields.
- Design, implement, and oversee the laboratory's quality management program.
- Meet with nursing and other hospital staff as needed.
- Implement policies and procedures as relates to specific area.
- Review, monitor, track and trend technical and employee performance.
- Coordinate on-site training for new and existing staff members.
- Perform additional duties as assigned in support of laboratory operations.
- Extend customer service to include all internal and external customers.
- Ensure communication of laboratory data and appropriate result reporting.
- Release samples to laboratory personnel and communicate due dates and update turnaround times.
- Lead the handling and resolution of complex issues and complaints.
- Responsible for all employees working at all Labs On Demand facilities.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and system regulations to provide a safe operation.
- Ensure compliance with all corporate policy procedures in the laboratory.
- Expand the lab's research portfolio by helping to develop new research projects and proposals.
- Establish and maintain all laboratory records in accordance with specifications.
- Ensure supplies are available as required for lab sessions.
- Recommend measures to improve testing procedures, use of equipment, and needs for new equipment.
- Monitor, analyze and justifies expense and revenue within departments.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer engineering, electrical engineering, computer science or engineering, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with R Language, ASCP, BSL-3, and Pytest processes and systems.
- Able to deploy dexterity and attention to detail during projects.
- A leader, critical thinker, and problem solver.
- Fluency in statistics, spreadsheets, budget planning, cost analysis, and computing.
- Demonstrated time management acumen.
- Will strive for continuous improvement.
- Can collaborate with other team members and clients to solve problems and run programs.
Lab Manager Salaries near India
Average Base Pay
Lab Manager Career Path
Learn how to become a Lab Manager, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Lab Manager Insights
“No tangible opportunities for career growth in my field without continued education and more money spent.”
“Merit increases: Received "outstanding" performance review and only got a 4% increase.”
“The mission and everything we did was involved in human socioeconomic development; it was an amazing way of working in projects.”
“Their pay was good and reasonable”
“Everything is amazing and great quality of work”
“Good place to work and friendly”
“Best place to work and excel”
“I am apart of one of the pre analytics teams and I truly love my position!”
Lab Manager Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Lab Manager
- Lab Assistant
- Laboratory Analyst
- Lab Technician
- Research Assistant