What does a Sales and Marketing do?
Sales representatives are responsible for selling a company's products by identifying leads, educating prospects on products through calls, trainings, and presentations, and providing existing customers with exceptional support. Sales representatives are either inside or outside sales reps. Inside sales reps sell products over the phone and online, while outside sales reps sell products through face-to-face meetings. Sales reps span almost every industry.
Most sales reps have a Bachelor's degree in business or a related field. The best sales representatives understand the importance of strong customer service, have a knack for closing deals, and are self-assured.
- Prospect and qualify new sales leads
- Schedule meetings and presentations with prospects
- Create, plan, and deliever presentations on company products
- Track all sales activities in company CRM system and keep current by udpating account information regularly
- Communicate customer and prospect product pain points to appropriate departments
- Maintain a well-developed pipeline of prospects
- Develop strong, ongoing relationships with prospects and customers
- Meet and/or exceed quotas
- Coordinate with other team members and departments to optimize the sales effort
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- 2-4 years of sales experience
- Proven ability to meet and exceed sales quotas
- Proven track record of successfully managing customer relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Highly self-motivated
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of CRM systems
Sales and Marketing Salaries
Average Base Pay
Sales and Marketing Career Path
Learn how to become a Sales and Marketing, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Years of Experience Distribution
Sales and Marketing Insights
“Job itself was great and direct manager was awesome as much as he could in what he controls”
“I started as a Bank sales rep and the training I received was helpful was good”
“Great as a part time job and just looking for quick cash and want a flexible schedule”
“I didn't see any people are very nice and its a great place to work”
“I feel comfortable and confident with a great manager to help me if I have any issues”
“Everyone i work with is awesome and very encouraging I'm grateful for this opportunity.”
“The best thing about working at CHG is everyone that you will encounter is super nice and helpful.”
“People there are extremely nice and genuinely concerned about your home and personal life just as much as your work.”
Sales and Marketing Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of sales representatives
Inside sales representatives will spend their day on the phone contacting new and existing customers to sell the company's products. Outside reps typically travel to customers for face-to-face meetings. These individuals must also have the drive to generate new leads.
Being a sales representative can be a wonderful career for individuals who enjoy negotiation and can close deals. Commission earnings are often a large part of a sales representative's salary, so consistently meeting or exceeding targets will bring long-term rewards.
Sales representatives can be very well paid, although the salary is a combination of wages and commission, so the number of sales is important. The average base pay for a sales rep is ₹25,779.
Working as a sales representative can be hard, as they are always under pressure to meet or exceed sales targets. Outside reps spend a lot of time traveling, which brings its own pressures. However, for those who love a competitive environment that requires employees to hit targets and exceed goals, it can be very enjoyable.