What does a Senior HR Specialist do?
As an HR Specialist, you will administer the organizations payroll system to include establishing new hire account and deactivate separated accounts. You will provide training for all employees on correct use of the payroll system and work with the vendor on system issues. You will ensure the accurate and timely application of garnishments and deductions and that payroll is processed on time.
An ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a position where payroll was the primarily responsibility and hold a bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management or related field with a PHR, SPHR or payroll specific certification. You will be an expert in all aspects of payroll from vendor relationship to training on the platform and communicating deadlines to leadership. In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining employee confidentiality and expert use of HRIS.
- Responsible for administering payroll system
- Communicate with managers to resolve issues with payroll
- Ensure all timecards are approved by the deadline
- Track reported issues with payroll system and work with vendor to have corrected
- Reconcile payroll records with approved timecards
- Process wage garnishment and other deductions
- Analyze pay scale to ensure compliance with wage and labor laws
- Train managers and staff on correct use of payroll system
- PHR, SPHR or payroll specific certification, preferred
- Master's degree in Human Resource Management or related field, preferred
- 3+ years of experience as an HR Specialist
- Proficient with computers and Microsoft Office Applications
- Superior attention to detail
- Proven track record of maintaining employee confidentiality
- Expert with various HRIS applications
- Experience with payroll systems
- Able to work under pressure with strict deadlines_
Senior HR Specialist Salaries
Average Base Pay
Senior HR Specialist Career Path
Learn how to become a Senior HR Specialist, what skills and education you need to succeed, and what level of pay to expect at each step on your career path.
Average Years of Experience
Senior HR Specialist Insights
“I love coming to work every day because everyone here is so kind and welcoming and hard working.”
“Good foundation to start your career and see if the government or private secor is best for you”
“Was able to work with some great people and I learned so much about what NOT to do.”
“I have worked in EVC Ventures for almost 3 years and there are so many opportunities to learn and grow.”
“There are many opportunities to learn and grow making it an ideal place to start a career.”
“The best Team leads and Division leads you can find...they had NO say in this.”
“I love working at TP because i can see that it offers a good career path and i can learn a lot from TP”
“Benefits could be a little better but lower cost out of paycheck which is nice.”
Senior HR Specialist Interviews
Frequently asked questions about the role and responsibilities of a Senior HR Specialist
When working as a Senior HR Specialist, the most common skills you will need to perform your job and for career success are Delegated Examining, Responses, Microsoft EXCEL, Microsoft Office and Written Communication.
- HR Manager
- HR Consultant
- HR Generalist
- Hr Business Partner
The most common qualifications to become a Senior HR Specialist is a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and an average of 0 - 1 of experience not including years spent in education and/or training.